What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Jitterbug

Jitterbug New Seed

I have just begun to read Broken For You, I haven't read enough to tell if I will like it or not. Anyone else read it?

2. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I was kindly given a new book a couple of days ago, which I've now began reading - 'Screenwriting for Dummies'. I guess the title lets you know exactly how qualified I am on the subject :D

C.J. ;)

3. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I always have multiple books going - gradually picking my way through them depending on mood or the amount of time/thought I have at the moment.

Right now my pile includes Tolkien's Letters, a children's book called Five Little Peppers and How they Grew, a history book about the 1700s titled Age of Aristocracy, one of the Scarlet Pimpernel series, Percy Leads the Band, William Morrow's Well at the World's End, a volume of translated excerpts from the sermons of Martin Luther (very cool!), a guide to Perennials and a fluffy book of Ogden Nash poetry.

:eek:

I need to finish some of them.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. That's an old book. I remember my mom used to read aloud to us before I was old enough to go to school and that was our favorite book. She must have gotten tired of reading it to us. I read one to my boys called, "Run Away Home" They wanted it about every other week. Dan used to have it but I don't know that he still has it. I'll have to look for a copy in a used book store. I went to first grade in a one room schoolhouse when I was five. There were eleven kids in the school from lst to 8th grade and 8 of them were relatives. Brothers, sisters, cousins. Two of the others were brother and sister and there was one lone boy in 8th grade. One teacher. It was fun. Dooley

Advertisement
  5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I'm really enjoying it - a fun look at another time. Yes, it's quite old! I'd seen it referred to, so when a copy floated by at the used store I picked it up. I'll be processing it for my school library once I'm done with it. The flyleaf shows an entire series of Pepper books that the author produced - I wonder if any of them are still in print anywhere.

I love small schools - ours is a private school and the largest class is 17 kids. I'm homeschooling my son this next year too, so that should be fun.

6. dooley

I'm not sure but I think those Pepper books have been reprinted at one time. I'll see if I can find any. Dooley

7. dooley

Primsong, go to Amazon.com and type in Five Little Peppers. They list about 200 varieties. Maybe some of what you want are there. Dooley

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

It was a cute book, but I probably won't invest in others - I might pick them up if I see them at a yard sale or something though. I just raided the local thrift store for cheap books again and we are reading one of our finds now, The Great Piratical Rumbustification and the Librarian and the Robbers - it's a hoot!

Also reading Fellowship of the Ring to my daughter (almost done with it), and re-reading an old favorite, The Phantom Tollbooth.

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

The Commitments by Roddy Doyle... in Swedish :D

10. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

I had a walk on part in the movie , Frank . For years people confused me with Johnny Murphy (Joey the Lips Fagen) I had a ponytail at the time . i even signed two autographs for some tourists who stopped me in the street. i didn't have the heart to tell them .
    :sete_030: Bugs

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

:eek: Bugs was in the Commitments! It doesn't matter if it was a walk on, you were in it. That's a huge bit of Bugs trivia if ever I heard it. Is it a freeze frame spotting or are you on screen for longer? What scene was it? Sorry for all the questions :p

Lol at the autograph signing :D

12. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

:D Definately freeze frame stuff .The back of my head freeze frame stuff . I must get the movie out again and will let you know where I am. For a while my nickname was Joey the lips.
    :sete_030: Bugs

13. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

Ah, gardening season. Just never seems to be enough time to even get in a decent nap!

I am finding the time to read a very good book however--a collection of columns from garden writer Henry Mitchell, a columnist for the Washington Post. It's titled "Earthman", I believe. I just started, but already have had several belly laughs. I feel like I've found a new best friend. Oh, when you have gardening in common, it's like you're joined at the rootstock!

14. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I love that kind of thing - now I'm going to be watching for a copy of it. Thanks for the recommendation!

15. Kimberly

Kimberly Seedling

I just read Healing Crystals and Gemstones: From Amethyst to Zircon

:-D
    Author: Flora Peschek-Bohmer; Gisela Schreiber; Sibylle Dausien