What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. kate

kate In Flower

I had an email from a list I am on about a book I would love to buy. I don't have Kindle.

'Curious Encounters Of The Human Kind.'

True Asian tales of folly, greed, ambition, and dreams.

ABOUT THE BOOK; What do jumping cats have to do with Buddhism’s Middle Path? Did Orwell really hate everyone in Myanmar? How did Myanmar’s ruling junta use white elephants to consolidate their power? Will a synagogue caretaker’s improbable dream ever come true? What arrogance drives western travelers to seek the “unknown”? And why should you never disrespect the nat spirits who guard a sacred forest?

This is Myanmar (Burma) as you’ve probably never imagined, full of curious people, startling happenings, and unexpected moments of humanity and intro-spection, giddiness and solemnity, avarice and ambition.

Review:

"If anyone can pull off something as innovative as Curious Encounters, it's Paul Sochaczewski. Expect pellucid writing, insightful irreverence, and universal truths elegantly presented, in a genre that defies categorization."

Kindle only by the looks of it at Amazan.

http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Encounters-Human-Kind-Ambition-ebook/dp/B015VFE73E
    K

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sounds interesting Kate. I might see if I can read a sample of it. I am in a book club & am always looking for interesting books to read. Right now we are reading Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman. I am about 1/2 done & am really enjoying it. I want to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird for comparison's sake.

3. czywarte

czywarte New Seed

Georges Bataille "Erotism".

And frankly, since I'm not versed in psychoanalysis, it's hard for me to understand it, but nevertheless I believe strongly that the book's clou is very intersting.
    Basically, it's an anthropological study of ideas about eroticism and connections with other sentiments and culture areas.

4. kate

kate In Flower

I will settle down after lunch to read The Mirror newspaper, then catch up where I left off to read Nurse On Call.
    The true story of a 1950s nurse; Its about a district nurse and her nurse friends in training and what they get up to.

The mind boggles...HAHA!!
    :D

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  5. kate

kate In Flower

Another Interesting book on Rajas of Sarawak is 'White Rajah', Biography of James Brooke.
    I would really like to buy this book:
    Decent into Chaos: The Doomed Expedition

n early March 1994, five exhausted and starving members of a British Army expedition emerged from Low's Gully, a five-mile-long hell hole falling away from Mount Kinabalu in the jungles of Borneo. However, the achievement of the five - mostly fit and able young British non-commissioned officers - in being the first to conquer Low's Gully, was overshadowed by the fact that the other five members of the team, two relatively old and senior British officers as the leaders and three young novice Chinese storemen and guards serving under the British military in Hong Kong, were apparently still lost in the gully.

They had to be rescued by the Royal Navy and the Malaysian Army. The captain was carpeted, the people who got 'lost' down that gully came out looking like Belson.

lowesgully.jpg
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-wonder-says-hugh-mcmanners-that-1368422.html
    K

6. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

Currently reading the Carpathian series, by Christine Feehan. A tad dry for my preference, but still enjoying them!

7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I used to gobble books up. Mostly scifi, but a bit of anything really. Nowadays I can't watch films or read fiction. I have lost the interest. I only read non fiction like biographies and research on plants and Science. The last book I read was battle for the bundu. I am especially interested in electricity and magnetism apart from plants.

Silkie likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Interesting Odif. I have never 'graduated' to nonfiction other than books on gardening & botany. (& books/articles read for work). I used to enjoy totally escapist reading: murder mysteries. Then I joined a bookclub & we read 'better books'. It has ruined me for the murder mysteries! Now they are simply silly & boring!

Silkie likes this.
  9. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

I can read an Oprah approved, tear jerking best seller, and still appreciate an dollar store romance with the same overdone plot as well. Some books are like comfort food. Nothing fancy, but still satisfying.:)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm just about to get started on a book called "Lucca the war dog" by Maria Goodavage. It's a true story about a German Shepherd who served alongside Special Forces through two bloody wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq. He won the Dickin Medal for Bravery after losing his left front leg in combat. I have a feeling that I could succumb to tears whilst reading this book so I'll wait until Ian goes to bed before beginning it.

Cayuga Morning and Silkie like this.
  11. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

Have you ever read "Call of the Wild" Eileen? If you haven't, based on your current read, I'd think you'd enjoy it!

eileen likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Call of the Wild is a good read.

Anybody read Cheryl Strayed's Wild? Interesting book. About Cheryl's hike along the Pacific Rim Trail (like the Appalachian Trail) at 22 years old after her mother's death and the break up of her family. You would think it would get boring, a description of day after day hiking but it actually is engaging. Her back story emerges a bit over time and the scenic descriptions are great.

Silkie likes this.
  13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yes I have Silkie and it was a great read. It made me angry and sad to read about the way some sled dogs are treated. The story of Buck's life certainly touched me in several ways.
    I don't pick up books as often as I used to but when I find a good one I tend to sit for hours reading it until it's finished.

14. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

That's me as well. My hubby knows when I get a new book to not even try to communicate for the next few hours! Call of the Wild and Where the Red Fern Grows were the two first adult geared novels I ever read. I could attribute my love of reading to having such great books as my first experiences.:)

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

As a retired children's librarian, I am so heartened to read these posts! There is nothing better than a good book, a child, and perhaps a reading nook at home.

Cayuga Morning and Silkie like this.