What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I haven't read "Take this woman" yet as I came across a (de velt) series by Kathryn le veque...I've destroyed the first book :whistling: and on to the 2nd one already...the 3rd you have to pre-order for release :(

First book
    [​IMG]

Second book
    [​IMG]

2. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well i loved reading the last two books and tonight i thought i would purchase something different and i'm enjoying it besides it being intriguing and a will of minds between the two characters...(The dark side of the sun) by Addison Cain.

3. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I soon destroyed the (The dark side of the sun) by Addison Cain..as I love my reading at night and thought I would purchase something different.

[​IMG]

4. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I've finished the "A beauty for the scarred Duke" and purchased another today - At Last the Rogue Returns (Avenging Lords Book 1) by Adele Clee

Advertisement
  5. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well i'm now on the 2nd book of (Avenging Lords Book 2)by Adele Clee

6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I've changed my reading for a bit and now doing Regency books and i'm getting through them like eating sweets :whistling: purchased this one today as it's got good rating from 59 reviews.

[​IMG]

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We turn to American literature this time with the book, It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. We are finding this book tremendously interesting, if not a bit disturbing. A good book does its job if it can stir some sort of emotions.

Cayuga Morning and Gail-Steman like this.
  8. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hi Sjoerd just looked this up on Amazon looks quite an interesting book...91 people have read it.

We read different books and not long done one by a new writer Flaming June by Emma V. Leech...touching story or what but interesting in the fact of autism in these times.

Isabella comes from a loveless upbringing and falls victim to her mothers demands and only to be thrown out besides being pregnant...along comes Henry who suffers from autism and helps capture her, when she believes lifes not worth living. She stays with him and a family member Jack who worships the ground Henry stands on...(you'll love him)

Henry shows Isabella the meaning of life, while she learns to understand the disability he as daily besides emotions he goes through and together they become one in such an heart wrenching story of understanding and love.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gail, that book sounds interesting. My Bride may well like it, as she is a psychiatric nurse with a second degree in the nursing care of what was once called retarded or damaged individuals. She keeps up with this topic and the changing dynamics of these folks in society.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, I know the Sinclair Lewis book where of you speak. Yes, quite disturbing.

Does your wife read English? If so, she might like Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. Interesting family dynamics set in a planned community in Shaker Heights OH (it is an actual town). I did not know she was a psychiatric nurse.

GaIL if you like family dynamics & some intrigue, you might like that book as well.

I also just read Educated by Tara Westover. Very interesting. A true story about Tara' s childhood growing up in a Mormon survivalist family in Idaho. Westover makes it clear her upbringing had little to do with being Mormon & all to do with growing up in a survivalist family. None of the children were formerly educated. Three of the six left home & obtained doctorates. The other 3 stayed locally & were not educated. It is actually riveting & a page turner.

Right now I have just started Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. It is about scaling Mount Everest.

Gail-Steman and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes Cayu--she does read English. In fact she has taught English.
    I shall suggest the book above to her. She is a very political animal and keeps current with national, local and world events. She reads voraciously--views she agrees with and those diametrically. opposed.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Good for her. She might like both then, Educated and Little Fires Everywhere.

Gail-Steman and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Sjoerd nice to hear your wife is doing good work with psychiatric people :like:...she may like it as it is a lovely read and in those times (Regency)….they was looked up on in a bad manner or was admitted to asylums for life.

Sjoerd she may also like to read this book on my family they had porphyria going back 300yrs but the actual disease really disturbed them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hello Cayu I usually love a good love story but in regency times with great history besides and I usually drop on books with scarred dukes etc but the one I read was great by this seller and another on OCD which was interesting having that myself since I was young...I've just added the book you mentioned to my wish list in Amazon as i'm doing a series at the moment :like:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  15. kate

kate In Flower

On BBC Ones. The One Show there was a featured ex prisoner of war. Their plane got blown out of the sky. Four men died.

I thought I was going to die because I became remarkably calm'. Trapped inside a burning Lancaster bomber, 20,000 feet above Berlin, airman John Martin consigned himself to his fate and turned his thoughts to his fiancee back home. In a miraculous turn of events, however, the twenty-one year old was thrown clear of his disintegrating airplane and found himself parachuting into the heart of Nazi Germany. He was soon to be captured and began his period as a prisoner of war. This engaging and compulsively readable true-life account of a Second World War airman, who cheated death in the sky, only to face interrogation and the prospect of being shot by the Gestapo, before having to endure months of hardship as a prisoner of war.

It has a great ending, one you would’nt believe.

K