What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

The Amazon River. Stories of horticulturists find new plants and traveling along the river in the 1950-60’s.

2. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I'm into my Romance books but what contain history and especially Highlander books but this ones come as a good choice off Amazon.
    [​IMG]

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mary Boykin Chesnut's Civil War Diary. It is an account of a highly placed society woman who met most of the Confederate government and military leaders. She also took opium and laudanum, and had high ambitions for her husband, James Chesnut. It is fascinating as an insight into the upper strata of the Confederacy.

Cayuga Morning and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Breaking Smith's Quarter Horse is on the menu right now. An series based on the early ranches in the Chilcoltin.

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Zoey

Zoey New Seed

Seagull by Anton Chekhov. A great play according to me with such refined characters and depth which carries the sorrow of the cold Siberian winds.
    Lately, I have been studying a lot on child Psychology and that has been helping me in trying to relate and sympathize with my child's thoughts and actions. My studies gradually led me into Swiss Psychologist Jean Piaget's Transductive Reasoning - an erroneous method of thinking where a cause and effect relationship is drawn between two events that are not logically connected. It is super interesting to see how some kids do not overcome this reasoning due to multiple factors, and how sometimes superstitions and other fears imposed my parents affect children's mental outlook.
    Finally, I have started off with Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude - super excited for this.

Cayuga Morning and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Presently, I'm reading "a very instructive paperback." It's the one that came with my Lumix DMC-LX15

I bought a year ago.

Untitled.jpg

It was to replace my DMC-TZ60 as "it would take better pictures," but I couldn't get on with it, that's "senior speak" for "couldn't be bothered to properly read the instructions." Anyway, I now have to, as the one I was still using has given up the ghost!

Clay_22 and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I just ordered this book from Amazon ''180 degrees: The lies you've been taught to believe.''
    It is written by Feargus O' Conner Greenwood, and I ''saw'' him being interviewed by Richard Vobes on youtube. His identity was protected. It's proving to be a best seller, so I'm looking forward to getting it on Wednesday next week (unless Zigs intercepts it first) It took a total of 5 years to complete the work if you count the hours, and promises to be something of an eye opener.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Actually, re-reading. Neil DeGrasse Tyson's book on astrophysics. First reading I understood about every third word, but oh my, that man can write clearly and entertainingly even for science dummies like me. This time around I understand more, but still most of it is "magic" to me. Photons, neutrons, dark matter? Looking at the night sky is fascinating, imagining all the galaxies and activity going on, and then taking another look and getting a bit nervous . . ..

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Richard Carpenter Biography about Karen Carpenter.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

The Other Eden by Paul Harding, a historical fiction narrative about an island off the coast of Maine populated by mixed race people for generations. The book is based on the actual island of Milagra whose inhabitants were forcibly removed during the 1800's during the Eugenics movement. Extremely well written, lyrical prose.

I'm currently reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Also very good. The story of a Nigerian immigrant and her wry observations re Nigerian society, US society, being an African transplant here, but not African American. The story draws you into her life.

Daniel W, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That second book sounds interesting, Cayu.
    The first one sounds intriguing.

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes Sjoerd. The first book would have been pretty depressing except that you know from the get-go what happened to the colony. And there are passages, actually quotes from some of the descendants of the islands, so you know some of the residents did survive. And the prose is so beautiful.

What are you reading?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The book that I have been reading off and on is Lives of Leaves. It isn’t really an exciting novel but it is interesting to me. A bit esoteric, but I can take it because I love trees so much.

i did once read a book called, The Water Is Wide. I enjoyed it so much for various reasons. I cannot help but think that you would also like this one. Pat Conroy is the author’s name.

This book also depicts a group of island inhabitants that were cut off from the modern day world.

Thanks for talking about the books.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    Pacnorwest and Cayuga Morning like this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'm reading Johnny Reb and Billy Yank, a compilation of diaries, letters home, and recollections from both sides of the Civil War. I am very interested in the Civil War, and have quite a few books on it. This book gives a different perspective from the "after the fact" historians' views.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I’ll bet that that is an interesting book, Jane.