What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Just finished "Late Wife" by Claudia Emerson (pub. by Louisiana State University Press).A very small volumn of poetry(only 54 pages), I read it from cover to cover in one sitting. Great work and winner of the Pulitzer Prize for poetry. I especially liked the last page-last poem "Buying The Painted Turtle". It was a fitting finale to what is as much a novel as a collection of poetry. I read it all again, slower this time.

2. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

My kids and I just finished "Silverwing" (a chapter book with a bat for a protagonist) and went to the bookstore to get a copy of the sequel, "Sunwing" - good books by Kenneth Oppel. Also ended up with more of the Dimwood Tales by Avi, I've read Ragweed and Poppy and am now happily going through the next two, Poppy and Rye and Ereth's Birthday. Great grade-school kids books, if you are looking to get any for a gift for someone.

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I finished the book of Irish short stories. My favorite was "A Miraculous Revenge." Most suitable ending. Dooley

4. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Alan and I have started to read Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. We will cover it for about 3 weeks and then we will start on To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I lean towards books with a "magical" story. Just finished reading Chocolat. Most of the time if I see the movie, I will not read the book it came from because they are so different. These are almost two different stories but both are very good.
    Besides the movie has Johnny Depp :-D

I am just starting the book Practial Magic...love the movie, now for the book.

6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I am reading He Speaks To Me by Priscilla Shirer. It is actually a 7 week study we are doing on Tuesday nights at church.

7. GINA_98

GINA_98 New Seed

Any Jane Austen fans out there? I have read them all :D I read so much at times that my little 2 yr old yells "mommy all done book!" Since I've read them all I need to find another good book to read. But the last one I finished was "Mansfield Park" I couldn't put it down!

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the forums Gina, not much of a book reader myself, more of a "I'll wait for the movie version" type (I know, I know the movie version are normally inferior to the book :rolleyes:). Guess I'm more of a visual type.

What do you like about Jane Austen's books?

9. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I read anything in print. I come from a long line of readers. When my father used to be gone months at a time we rudely had books right at the dinner table! I just finished "Marley and ME"- Life and Love with the Worlds Worst Dog by John Grogan. A true tale and quite amusing. It's so much funnier when it is someone else's dog. A light read for doglovers.
    I love Jane Austen.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I am reading The Quest of Brady Kenton
    by Cameron Judd.Its hard to put down.

11. GINA_98

GINA_98 New Seed

I used to hate reading, it was like pulling teeth! But when I was pregnant with my daughter I was very sick for 5 1/2 months. All I could do was watch t.v (which got old fast!) knit or read. I came across Pride and Prejudice and loved it! Ever since then I enjoy it. I think I like Jane Austen because it takes to a place I have never been. Life 200 years ago is so fascinating, and sometimes I just love those stories with a happy ending and where good prevails over evil! :-D

b.t.w I have a healthy, happy (evil) 2 yr. old :D

12. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Books

The book I read most is the Bible becaue I teach Sunday School but just for pleasure I have been reading some paperbacks about the OLD OLD westy I have been reading The Spanish Bit series by Don Coldsmith(who I beleive is now deceased but I could be wrong) and Thje wilderness series by David Thompson . I find reading relaxing and these are pure escapism.

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Reggae try some of William W. Johnstone
    Series ,I like them all .I do like the Mountain man series more than the others .I am an old old west lover too.
    I have a great deal of Don Coldsmith paperbacks too I would guess I have around 500 paperbacks about the old west and Indian books, I like Terry C.Johnson series.
    I also liked Raggae music but don't have any.
    My daughter lives in the perfect place for me .(Montana) I should have lived there many years ago so I could have enjoyed the west more than I have in the 4 years she has lived there.I have had a chance to travel around the West some now and i'll always be grateful for that.

14. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

Heart of Darkness. Joseph Conrad

muddy

15. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Glendann I have read some of Johnstone I like him a lot but I am still trying to finish Coldsmith and Thompson and Cajun Belle keeps me hopping with gardening work. As for the reggae music look for LEGEND it is the best of Bob Marley and the Wailers. I like reggae because it does not assault my ears and I like the spiritual side also.GOD BLESS