What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I just finished Crewel Yule, a mystery by Monica Ferris. I have a couple more of hers that I got for Christmas to read yet.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Am now reading "The Last Report On The Miracles At Little No Horse" by Louise Erdrich. It is set in the land of the Ojibwe tribe. This woman is an amazing writer.
    dr

3. bailey

bailey Seedling

All kinds of children's bedtime stories.

4. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

I'm reading again The Wind In The Willows. Just wonderful.

muddy

Advertisement
  5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Just finished A Ship of the Line by Forester, excellent high-seas adventure with Capt. Horatio Hornblower - only problem is I didn't know it would be a cliffhanger! Now I'm impatiently waiting for the sequel to arrive in the mail, Flying Colours.

In the meantime, I finished off two books by Avi that I'd checked out from the library for my kids. Love Avi's stuff - it's all good and the subject matter is all over the map so there's no predictable plot. Both good ones - The Tale of Helpless Harry and Who Was that Masked Man Anyway?.

6. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

No more homeschool books!!!! I'm now reading Cape Cod by William Martin it is a historial novel about the first families that came to American on the Mayflower and then settled on Cape Cod! It's a great read!!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yesterday I gave myself permission to sit and read as long as I wanted to and I didn't change out of my pj's and robe all day. It was icy, I wasn't going anywhere so why not!!! I started reading a little after noon and with a few stops to check email, my list and the forum I read straight thru until midnight. I haven't done that in years.

I tried reading Shakespeare and Chaucer a couple of times a few years ago, but couldn't understand a word they were saying so I figured I had better stick with the sorta of fluffy reading :-D I finished the Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts. It was good but not one of my favorites as it turned out. I liked her Three Sisters, Irish and Key trilogies much better.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I'm reading Stalemate by Iris Johansen. But, I'm finding the main character too predictable by now. I used to read a lot of Iris Johansen books but they are becoming too much the same. I like some of Nora Roberts but not all. I like Jayne Ann Krentz. I've been reading some Sherrilyn Kenyon but I don't think I like those books too much. I do read all the J.D. Robb books. Whatever! I keep an eye out when I'm shelving for interesting things. Dooley

9. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. This is an excellent fictional account of a daughter born to be a donor to try and keep the other daughter alive. A real tearjerker. :'(

10. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I am reading a study on the book of Daniel. It is going to last 11 weeks and is by Beth Moore. Really a good study so far.

11. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Last night I started a mystery by Earlene Fowler called Delectable Mountains. Am also still reading Roses for Michigan trying to learn what to do and not do when I plant more roses this year.

12. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

King Leopold's Ghost. History of the genocide perpetrated on the peoples of the Congo all in order to make Europeans and specifically King Leopold of Belgium wealthier. Also documents the movement in Europe and this country to eliminate the slave labour used by the king's agents while he strenuously denied it was happening. If you've read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness you should know that Mr. Kurtz was based on a real man. The horror.

muddy

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

At the moment, I am reading a thread called,"What Are You Reading At The Moment".

14. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Hard Times by Charles Dickens. I hadn't read it. All of his books are pretty depressing, I think. Dooley

15. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Right now I am reading a magazine or two. One on Quilting and another on Perennial gardening.Wannabe