What are your weeds ?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Melody Mc., Jun 22, 2022.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I grow thornless garden blsckberries. I love them too. Just not the massive garden thug Himalayan blackberries.

2. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Are the Himalayan Blackberries the ones that grow all along the roads and ditches etc around the coast and Vancouver area?

3. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

My biggest nightmare at the moment when the weather picks up will be Oxalis it's growing all through the gravel boarder and the seeds have spread to the front garden gravel :crying: Hubby loves the look.
    Here's the culprit below and i'm not burning it like last time, as i set my plants on fire :smt044

[​IMG]

4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Yes. They have stems thicker than my chubby thumbs, covered with blood-drawing thorns. The brambkes grow up to twenty feet tall, and tip-root to make new plants. Himalayan blackberries have large berries, which when almost over-ripe have nice flavor but a slight bitter edge. The garden blackberries don't seem to have that bitterness.

Himalayan Blackberries have an interesting story. Luther Burbank grew them from a seed packet he received from India, hence the name. They actually originate in Armenia. He wanted to create a berry crop for the West Coast, and sold them. Birds ate the berries and spread the seeds, giving us masses of fast growing brambles.

When I clear blackberry brambles, I have to watch for stinging nettles too. Double trouble, LOL.

Advertisement
  5. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

We have a dead red berry tree in between our conifers and omg the mess on the back garden was terrible and you can imagine the slabs when the pigeons eat them purple dye but for some reason 3yrs ago it slowly died off.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I forgot to mention my weeds, Mel. My excuses.
    Mares Tail, bindweed and ground elder are the worst. I do have to keep a close eye on the reed too that sometimes tries to creep in from across the canal.
    Like Gail, I have that Oxalis menace, but it is under control now.

7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Got weeds? All the above mentioned in previous posts.

8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That is a very pretty weed Gail. :) Funny how they swing that sometimes. Perhaps they are appealing to our eye as part of their survival - a genetic trait to be pretty to humans. :snicker:

9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That is very interesting Daniel, thanks. I didn't know that. I ate my first blackberry about ten years ago in Oregon, at my daughter's White Coat Ceremony. They had a huge pyramid of fruit. They were huge and sweet...I really enjoyed them. I've tried buying a tiny container of them a couple of times since at the grocery....ugh. I wish I could grow them, but I'm happy to know to not ever try with a Coast Himalayan transplant. ( Hubby has suggested over the years we try to dig one up and try to get it to grow here.). :eek:

10. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

It is pretty i will admitt but it's spreading by my plants and i'm a bit worried it will take the nutrients from my other plants.
    When i had my lavender plants in, i tried to burn it and set my lavender on fire :smt082
    I know where it's spread from my neighbours as it started just by the fencing from her garden, never had it in all the years we've lived here.

11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Gail that's a shame about your lavender plants, i know how much you looked after them.

Melody Mc. and Gail-Steman like this.
  12. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I know Logan i shaped them round as you know and that big cushion ball on the front, that was removed last year it got that large and splitting apart.

Melody Mc., Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Lavender plants do that when they're old, have to replace them with new ones.

Melody Mc. and Cayuga Morning like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

My lavender plants are old 20 years or so… they require removing the long blooms.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mid January, we have chickweed in bloom. It is rampant now, but dies out in early spring.
    Heaven knows what weed will crop up next--we have as many weeds as we have bugs here in Texas. Always something interesting . . . .

Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and Logan like this.