What can I do to my back patio?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by paudashlake, Jun 10, 2009.

1. paudashlake

paudashlake New Seed

I have the worst looking patio in the neighborhood. I have a wood gazebo with nasty vines flying about in every which direction, a round table and four chairs, some old cracked plastic chairs just sitting in a stack, a large rusty grill, and what is left of a few strawberry plants. The rest of the backyards look so nice in my upscale neighborhood, but then there is mine. There is no life or color. I don't like going back there to sit and read or eat dinner with the family. It is very embarassing when we have a block party too because our yard is usually used for something and people see the dump at the end of the street compared to the elegant homes around me. What can I do to renovate this? I will do nearly anything! The only problem is that I am short on cash and won't be able to spend too much on it. Any suggestions would be nice.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not knowing for sure where you live, these store names are in the U.S. but similar stores are located in other places.

Most perennial vines benefit from a little pruning once in a while to keep them from flying around.
    Throw the cracked plastic chairs in the trash, if they are cracked they could be a hazard to sit on. It they are still usable, go to WalMart and get some spray paint for plastic.

The grill can be scrubbed with a steel wool and repainted. Or if you don't use it, make a planter out of it.

If the strawberry plants are still healthy and in the ground, weed around them and put a mulch down to make them look better.

Get some plastic pots different sizes and colors will add interest, bags of potting soil ($2.50 at Dollar General) and pots of Zinnias, Pansies, Daisies....you can usually find small pots at WalMart, Lowes or Home Depot for less then $2.00 Place the pots all around the edge of the patio.
    You might even find a hanging basket and fill it with Pansies.

If you can find a freecycle or rEcycle list for your city, join and post a wanted for pots and leftover seedlings anyone might have to pass on. That sure saves a lot of money.

Good luck and show us some photos when you get it the way you like it.

4. paudashlake

paudashlake New Seed

I tried hanging plants but they get entangled in the dreaded vines. These vines are very bush-like. The ones that have orange flowers that look like horns. I hate them! Would it be a good idea to get rid of them.

5. toni

That sounds like either a Trumpet vines, campsis radicans or a Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine)

You can control how wild they get by cutting them back each fall to about 1 foot above the ground. It's usually the ones that have been left untouched for years that start taking over.

If you really don't like it, you can work on digging it up too.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd be tempted to clear everything out except the arch and maybe the table and chairs (if they are still useable) and start from scratch. You can get some beautiful climbing clematis which would look lovely in your garden instead of the vines you dislike. Putting potted plants on a patio can make it look very attractive and can be started from seed which is much cheaper.
    Could you possibly show us a photograph of the problem area as it would help us give you better advice?

7. paudashlake

paudashlake New Seed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The table and chairs are fine. As you can see, the whole area is a disaster. Help me!

8. toni

You and I have different definitions of disaster. ;)
    I don't see anything wrong that a few pot plants filled with colorful blooms won't cure. Maybe some tall plants along the back of the house.

Some edging around the Strawberry bed and pretty yard art will add interest and color to that area.

A cover for the cooker that will not only hide it but keep it from further rusting in the weather.

Trim back the parts of the vine that appear to be leafless and just hanging there. That vine is providing a lot of comfortable shade for outdoor sitting. If you cut it completely down then the patio and the back of your house are going to heat up considerably.

9. paudashlake

paudashlake New Seed

Well, I still think I want the vines to go. They seem to house a lot of bees in the summer and other critters that make it impossible to sit out there anyway. I was thinking of enclosing the shelter or at least putting a roof on it. By the way, I am about 10 miles from Lake Erie, so it is more warm then hot up here.

10. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I agree, your patio is not near as bad as you describe it. any flowering vine will attract bees and critter, even ivy will, they are looking for shelter. So a roof of some sort may be better for you. I agree with everyone, looks like some colorful potted plants and maybe some homemade yard art is what your patio needs to liven it up.

You could also hang a large type of scroll work or something similar on the wall of the house, stores like Big Lots has some really nice stuff for reasonable prices:
    http://www.biglots.com/LawnGarden/item. ... 7&iid=5413

11. ExpressFurnitureuk

ExpressFurnitureuk New Seed

Perhaps remove the vines? Or Move them...

I would suggest either move the vines elsewhere or remove them. They are very hard to keep up and slightly obsolete, if I remember right. It could be a personal biased I have against them though. LOL

The other suggestion is to find some quality weatherproofed furniture you can place outdoors. The best types are those you can leave out year round without worry that they will split or wear easily.