What color of granite to use on benchtop?

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by allie, Feb 15, 2007.

1. allie

allie New Seed

hi there
    i have just bought a house and it has a terrible blue and yellow theme...so 90s! anyhoo i am going to replace the benchtop because its yellow and the cupboards are (surprise surprise) bright royal blue...so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what colour granite i should use on the benchtop? the rest of the house is to be relatively neutral colourings so it needs to tie into that (i was thinking like black or stoney white) but im not sure....any suggestions? thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. the_troy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Allie and welcome to GardenStew :)

I did a little playing around with colours based on the royal blue you described and what colours would match it and this is what I came up with...

[​IMG]

As you can see there is a light grey and slightly darker grey that would look good against the royal blue. Personally I prefer the darker grey.

Is the first blue colour above the closest to what you described? If you could post a photo of the colour within your new home we could get an even closer match maybe?

Hope this helps!
    // Frank

4. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Are the cupboards painted? If so you might consider changing the color before you commit to the benchtop.

5. mikedickbek

mikedickbek New Seed

Yeah, I'd definately change the cabinets first, then worry about the rest. I've always liked the black and red type of granite... or is it marble?
    Can you post some pics of what it looks like now? Maybe that'd give us some better ideas.

Advertisement
  6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Black would work very well, I think.

7. allie

allie New Seed

hey there guys,
    thanks for all your replies....Frank!... uh the second blue is the closest to the blue of the kitchen cupboards...unfortunately i cant put up a pic just yet as there are still tenants in the house. Bethie! ...no they arent painted theyre like actually made that colour! its a brand new kitchen...i just hate the benchtop!!!
    thanks again for all your suggestions! i like the idea of a grey kind of colour i think... :)