What did you harvest today?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Odif, May 6, 2017.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

nice Odif.

I had a call for and emergency "short" at someones wedding reception today... she needed zucchini. so I picked two trays. cleaned off every fruit on the plants in the garden.

Frank, Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That was great, Carolyn. You are such a star.

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Not much :( We had the worst winter on record (snow snow and more snow) 'til quite late into the season. So far this year I've harvested THREE (count 'em) THREE tiny Sweet 100 tomatoes only, watching some green ones on Early girl and hoping they're ripen.

I tried sweet red peppers for the first time too - four plants in pots. Two are struggling to stay alive, one produce 1 pepper ('til the birds got it) and another has 1 green pepper yet to ripen on it.

I also tried potatoes in pots going on the idea of adding soil to the pot as the potatoes grew. Got all of about SIX medium sized potatoes out of two pots (Warbas)

The green beans are doing well and we've had half a dozen meals of them, lettuce has been terrific and the snow peas once they took also did well too.

For the first time even literally ALL of my onion sets (plain yellow onions) sprouted and grew grew grew THEN I went out one day and almost every one of them was flat over. It look like somehow a hose had gotten dragged over all of them as they were all laying flat in the same direction. Was my theory 'cept the hose doesn't go that far so an impossibility. My only other theory is that a wild animal jumped over the fence into my onions and rolled around in them knocking them all over........no evidence of onion maggots but I have 100 onions all about 1 to 1.5" diameter.

Granted the earth in this garden is only on year #2. I've got lots of addendums (composted manure, the dregs of last years plants etc) buried and turned over into the garden but I'm really scratching my head about some of this stuff and what went wrong. Weather this year was a huge factor - usually we can plant end of March this year it took almost 'til end of May to be able to get anything going.......so my harvests have been real minimal this year.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

So far we've been picking asparagus, chard, sugar snap peas, broccoli, zucchini and just got the first picking of green beans. The tomatoes are starting to turn red so it won't be long for them..my mouth is watering just thinking of a vine ripened tomato! Carrots are a ways off, as are the onions, but they are looking good.
    Islandlife, the onions may still mature so don't give up on them yet.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

beans again. lots of greenbeans. 2 bushels today.

6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I haven´t been to the garden yet today, but this was Sunday´s harvest. Our tomatoes finally started. harv.jpg

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sweat droplets and mosquito bites.

2ofus and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

You are cute Toni!!

I am rolling in Swiss chard, kale, lettuce & beans & garlic. I had a good haul of peas but they have gone past now. Carrots are looking good, but are only 4 inches long still. Summer squash & cukes are starting to produce too.

Tomatoes are a real bust. I grew heritage tomatoes this year & they are affected badly by blight despite my efforts.

Potatoes are looking healthy & are flowering. I have hilled them up several times, adding more soil. When do I harvest them? Do I continue to hill them up? Our growing season will extend into Sept. Then it really gets chilly.

9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Cayuga, here my potatoes usually die and dry out about a month after the flowering. That is when I harvest mine, when there is no more green on the plant anymore. I understand it may be different elswhere. The trick of ridging is that the potatoes develop underground and they are not exposed to the sun. Now they are in flower, there is probably no more need to ridge them up anymore.

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks Odif. So I guess once potatoes begin flowering, they stop creating more tubers? The ones that are there just get bigger? So there is no point in continuing to Hill them up?