What dish represents your state/province?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You can fill or spread it with whatever you like. I like butter and brown cheese (brunost) for everyday fare. Some like butter and sugar/cinnamon. Others put slices of ham and sour cream on theirs. Or one of my favourites on special occasions: smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and sour cream. (And now I suddenly remembered a film I'd like to share.)

Oh, I forgot the Wikipedia lefse-link too. Here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefse

marlingardener likes this.
  2. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

Living on the coat of the Bay of Fundy I would have to say that Lobster is what would represent our province. In the summer there are many lobster festivals. The biggest one is in Shediac and they also have a huge lobster sculpture that is quite a tourist attraction. Shediac is called the Lobster Capital of the World. The Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world and the water is very cold which makes for the best seafood. Fiddleheads would be the vegetable that represents our province. I love greens but fiddleheads would not be my choice. They grow along the river banks in early spring. Particularly along the famous Miramichi River. New Brunswick is the only official bilingual province in Canada. The Acadians (French) have well known dishes which would be Rappie Pie and Rappie Poutine. I have not tried either one of those. Regular poutine is a favourite of mine. That is fries with cheese curds and homemade gravy poured over the top. :D The city of Fredericton has a poutine festival.
    954fc316ac8e194 (1).jpg

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We are known for dairy farming and people do like Bratwurst (brats) around here. I only like Johnsonville Bratwurst, I think they are the best ones. My favorite cheese is Colby...I like it mild.. I love milk at mealtime.

4. yorkshire lass

yorkshire lass New Seed

As i live in South Yorkshire it would have to be Yorkshire pudding with onion gravy!

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, lovely! I've had true Yorkshire pudding once in my life, and I loved it. The onion gravy is new to me--but it sounds delightful.
    You have inspired me to try making a Yorkshire pudding for Christmas, but I'll need to practice a bit before then.

6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Yorkshire lass...this is the first I have ever heard of Yorkshire pudding with onion gravy. I guess you would think some of our foods are odd too with being from a different area . Interesting...

This thread is very interesting to see what favorites everyone has...I hope we can keep it going.

7. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Breaded pork tenderloin! The bigger the better, on a tiny hamburger bun with ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato. Lol. Hmm I wonder if theres anyplace in this podunk town that makes em :D

8. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

The bip. I knew you were from Indiana as soon as I saw your post. I'm from there and I posted the same thing.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good heavens, Texas has a lutefisk and lefse dinner in Cranfills Gap
    Norwegian Lutefisk Dinner in Cranfills Gap - First Sat. in December
    Who would have thought! Cranfills Gap has a population of 281, mostly of Norwegian descent, and is in a neighboring county. I don't think we'll be attending--my husband made disparaging noises when I described Lutefisk to him.

10. Droopy

:smt103 marlingardener, say what?!? In Texas... Who would have thought? It is a dish typically served before Christmas. I guess they're kicking off the Christmas season with that dinner. I completely understand your husband. I wouldn't have attended. :confused:

11. Droopy

Yep, they don't do things half-way in Cranfills Gap. Amazing.

[​IMG]

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If there is anything "unexpected", you can find it in Texas.

13. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Buckeyes, a homemade Ohio candy