What do gardeners do when there is no gardening to do?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by dirt2diamonds, Nov 12, 2007.

1. petunia

petunia Young Pine

In the winter when there's no gardening-I'm usually busy shoveling the snow. Stewing in this wonderful forum. And thinking of what ways my garden will be differant this coming spring. I've put out some winter containers-I can't hardly wait to see what will be coming up. I've brought some plants inside and have tried to keep them to be able to make new wonderful plants to put outside this summer. I only have 1 impatient plant left. They didn't seem to do very well. Soon I'll be starting garden vegetable seeds, that'll get me busy.

2. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Winter sow

Does winter sowing work for you ?
    Where do you put yours? Mine didnt work till april ..Only did it once.

b

3. petunia

petunia Young Pine

This is the first year I've done containers. I put them against an south wall. I won't know anything until it starts warming up into spring. I have about 10 differant containers. I sure hope something pops up that I can put into my new flower space.

4. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

What seeds did you put into it? Give me an idea ..

Are they in a protected area??????
    My man laughs and says it wont work here.. Help

b :D :D

Advertisement
  5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

A few are hollyhocks, coreopsis, white,red angel trumpet plants, red,white hibscus, pink mimosa, husker's red penstemon (pink flower).
    Most of these I received from trading seeds and from wintersown.org I tried some kind of lilies too and some kind of a small bulb (flower) I didn't know what they were so I gave it try. I'll see what comes up whether I do it again for the following year. The containers just sit up against a south outside wall so they still got quit abit snow on them. Hope this helps as its only my first time doing this.

6. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Now is there a cut off , say you do perennials only, or do annuals work??????????

My man is really laughing at that on me.. ha ha
    :rolleyes:

You use milk jugs?

b

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I try to stick with perrenials but you can't do any more then just try. If atleast you've tried then you'll know whether or not it can be done again-there's no harm in that. All I've used is small containers-cottage cheese, sour cream, I can get some picts of them if you like, if that'll help.

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

ok

Show me if you can ..

You keep it covered dont YOu?

Are they in the snow??

b

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi all,

Could we keep to the original topic "What do gardeners do when there is no gardening to do?" or start a new topic for the off-topic discussion. It's nice for others who haven't weighed in yet if topics are kept on track. Thanks!

10. trudy

trudy In Flower

Here in the south we can garden year round if we choose. Depending on whether we grow veggies. We don't get snow often, so thats no problem. It does get cold though. Usually I"m mulching, pruning say roses, planting bulbs, but my spare time I'm catching up on my taxidermy, trading online, an gardening online. Here lately I'm picking up pecans in the afternoon.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I've placed my first order for bulbs and plants today. Even though it's winter, I garden in my head. I have already redone two of my borders four-five times. I must be slightly mad. :D

12. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

A few days ago, i place an order for some herbs, I have been working on something that i got off Garden Stew, but instead of using flowers i want to try herbs instead,,,, the idea is a fairy garden but with herbs. Thats one of the many projects i been trying to work out because of the constant sun in summer here.

Also hoping for at least 2 feet of snow by the end of Feb so i can start my winter sowing veggies, an pray for at least another 4-6' of snow for ontop of that.

Thats the gardening part of what i have been doing for the past month now.

13. jaz

jaz New Seed

l read abook or anovel. mostly stephen kings

14. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Hey busy non-gardeners due to the weather, ther time is getting closer. I've been taking daily tours of my garden in semi-muddy conditions looking for the first signs of life. I have spied a lot of activity from plants coming out of dormancy. I see the garden centers getting ready. So I'm getting in the gardening mood. Have any of you gone from wasting time to "GETTING READY, GETTING SET, GO!!!"