What do I do with 5 Butternut squash??

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by 2ofus, Nov 20, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

A friend just gave me 5 butternut squash and I have never tasted it and I don't know how to cook it. I would love to have some suggestions or recipes. Please?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Mmmm, I love butternut squash! I like to bake them with butter and brown sugar, pecans too if I have them. Or even boiled and whipped like mashed potatoes. I also have a good squash recipe with lots of cheese and onion Mmmm... so yummy. I think you can use a lot of sweet potato recipes and use butternut squash in its place. Goto Yummly.com and type in Butternut squash recipes and lots of delicious recipes come up, 5351 to be exact :)

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Butternut squash are winter squash, which means they are long keeping. You can just stash them in a cool spot and enjoy them for weeks or months.
    One very simple preparation is to cut the squash in half and remove seeds,rub the cavity with butter, sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and just a touch of nutmeg, and bake at 350 degrees until the squash is soft when poked with a paring knife. The time depends on the size of the squash and the density of it. Luckily, you can just cover the baked squash with foil and it will hold enough heat to be very palatable for at least 30 minutes!

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I use mine sometimes to make squash bread. It makes a lovely orange colored loaf. I'll look up the recipe and post it in the recipe column here in a bit. It's really very good toasted.

dooley

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I cut mine in half lengthwise (but be careful they are very hard, you don't want to slip and cut yourself) and bake them cut side down on parchment paper until a knife or fork pierces the flesh easily. Then I turn it over and put butter, cinnamon and brown sugar on top of it and serve it in a dish and let each person scoop out what they want of it or scrape it out of its shell and into a bowl and put the toppings on it before serving.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I microwave my squash and put some brown sugar in it and freeze them after I put them in cupcake tins. After they are froze, I pop them out and put them in a freezer bag. When we need some you only have to take them out of the freezer and thaw and enjoy them with some butter. With only the two of us most of the time it is so handy to do it this way.