What do I do with these windows?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by humbleabode, Mar 5, 2012.

1. humbleabode

humbleabode New Seed

I need ideas for window treatment. I don't really need curtains to block out any light, just to make it look pretty. :)

I know I want a dark brown color but am not sure about anything else. The arch at the top of the windows make it awkward. What do all of you think?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from humbleabode's Garden )

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Do you need to block out a neighbor or a passer-by's view inside your home?

3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Go to WWW.Lakeside.com. I just ordered
    panels in shades of brown for only $9.95 each. Check it out

4. ruthy

ruthy New Seed

I had a similar issue in my last house. I handled it two ways...in one room, I placed curtains high above the whole mess and covered the arches with a valence. It made it look like regular windows. Since all of the windows had that kind of arch above, I wasn't worried about losing it as a design element in one room. Your arch is not super curved, so you could probably find a valence to go across the top that is able to hide it, if you want to go that way.

The positive is more privacy for that room and the higher curtains make the ceiling feel higher and the room more expansive. The negative is you do lose some light. It just depends on what you need.

In most of the other rooms where complete privacy was not an issue, we hung curtain panels along the top of the windows and left the arch uncovered. You cant use tab top because you cant place the pole high enough due to the arches above, but the grommet style panels work nicely and they are really popular now and can be found everywhere.

Advertisement
  5. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

If you want dark brown, why not look into dark faux wood blinds, then add an attractive cornice or valence across the top leaving the arch windows exposed.why cover them they are attractive?

6. Jacob Henry

Jacob Henry New Seed

Faux Wooden blinds feature flat, moisture-proof PVC slats that won't warp, peel, dent, scratch or stain. Faux wooden blinds are perfect for high humidity rooms such as bathrooms and kitchens. And they cost less than real wood blinds.

7. bobtheblindguy

bobtheblindguy New Seed

It's hard to cover those arched windows and still maintain the unique look. I wouldn't try to cover them unless light or privacy were an issue. If you want you can switch out the blinds for darker ones or put up darker drapery panels on each side from the top of the blinds to the floor. Then install a valance across all three blinds just below the arched windows.

8. only1nmb

only1nmb New Seed

I like the arch at the top. Leave it open and consider shutters or shades.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I like the arch too. I think it is a nice feature and would be a shame to cover it up. In fact, I think I would 'feature' the windows more by moving the settee out of the way!

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

HB I would check out blinds.com. They have free online decorators that will give you advice about what to do with your window. Plus their prices can hardly be beat.
    All of the suggestions by my fellow stewers were good. I to think you should move the love seat and table over to the other side of the window. Not knocking your deco skills. But it looks like the window is hard to get at. Plus it also looks like the window is growing so to speak, out of your love seat. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I love a deco challenge.;)