What do you like to read ?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Capt Kirk, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I have always done a lot of reading. Especially aboard ship when off duty as there wasn't much else to do. Now that I am retired I read a lot in the winter and then in the evenings too. I read a lot of fiction. Right now I am reading "The Last Templar" by Raymond Khoury. It is an action mystery and is very good. I think this might be his first work as there are no other books listed by him. I used to like to read Tom Clancy and still reread his best works. Also James A. Michner. Anything with history, mystery and action! But if the book bogs down with a lot of data, then I get bored with it quickly. One author I love to read is Stuart Woods. His mysterys are fast paced and you just can't put the book down until it's done.The last one I read I started at 8 am and was done at 9 that evening!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

At the moment I'm reading "The Secret of Chrickley Hall" by James Herbert. Only just started it so will let you know what I think when I get deeper into it. Promises to be a gripping tale though. :-D

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I like books of the old west.I know it sounds wierd for a women but I love it.
    I like any book about Native Americans.
    I love traveling in the areas that are
    talked about in the old west.Heather lives in the perfect area.I do not like scarey are real intense mysteries.
    I did at one time read them.I guess age
    caused me to be to nervious to read them anymore.

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I love historic works, both recently written ones that are set in another time with good solid research behind the details, or classic works - I especially love finding the writers that *inspired* the writers that we know better, such as late 1800's writer William Morris (who? Morris' works inspired both Tolkien and CS Lewis to write - and they are marvelous indeed). I just picked up "A Ship of the Line", a Horatio Hornblower classic because it was one of Winston Churchill's favorites - looks like it will be an interesting read.

I also read anthologies of poetry and short tales, or collections of poetry, humorous tales and interesting nonfiction (there's a book out there on the history of salt that is fascinating, I kid you not).

I love kids chapter books too - a good quick romp, but can do without sappy romances or anything too graphic or frightening.

Advertisement
  6. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

MY frist love is Fantasy books. I will read some sci-fi depending on the author. My guilty love is . . .

Romance novels. MOstly historicals, some some moderns.

The funny thing is that since I started to read Romances, I have learned more HIstory than I ever did in classes. :D

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

It may surprise you but I don't read books anymore. I used to be a right bookworm when I was younger but other media (i.e. Internet) has taken up my reading time. :sete_081: I'm sure that one day I will get back into reading.

8. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I read A LOT.I like historical romance, suspence. Janet Evanovich is my favorite mystery writer. Her book titles have numbers and she is up to number 12.They are humerous as well as mystery. Wannabe

9. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I like James Michner also, and anything along that line. I also love to read poetry. I read a lot of Christian books, and of course gardening books, anything to do with gardening in the south. My gardening "bibles" are Louisiana Gardening by Dan Gill and Joe White, and Month by Month Gardening in Louisiana by Dan Gill. I would love to meet Dan and talk with him all day.

10. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Sharon, Dan is a great guy and a good friend. He and Duke dash by occasionally. They live fairly close to you, in Prairieville. I think I have known them for maybe, eeeeek, 25+ years. He does answer all email and phone calls. He has a new book coming out this month or next. Look for it. I am promised a pre-pub copy. Oh, believe it or not, we do not talk gardening at social occasions. Dan takes a look at my garden and says, "It really looks nice, Jan." And that's it for gardening talk.

11. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

Nonfiction for the most part. Whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. My next project will be a book written about the Green River serial murders in this area. Its author has done some very important work identifying remains all over the world. Mass graves in Bosnia and the like. Wonderful man.

muddy

12. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Oh, books, that's right. I got sidetracked by talk of friends. I love formula mysteries: James Lee Burke, Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton, Jonathan Kellerman. I don't read gardening books...they are for research. Until I started writing full time, I easily read a book a day. Now, not so much.

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I like true crime novels also,
    I would love the book you are talking about Muddy I will look for it.

14. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

Wannabe,

I like Janet Evanovich, But I LOVE Julie Garwood. Her mysteries are not as hard core, but anything she writes is so funny. I also like Elizabeth Lowell.

And Catherine Coulter has started a mystery series, and Even Maggie Shayne. . . .

15. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Most anyhing I like to read of the old old west, right now a book DD bought me{Hard cover at that} "Brave Men, Gentle Heroes" by Michael Takiff about WW II and had sons serve in Vietnam . :)

16. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Mysteries are my favorites. Right now I am reading Framed in Lace by Monica Ferris. All of her books have a needlework theme to them. I also like mysteries by Earlene Fowler - all with a quilt pattern name. My husband bought me some of both for Christmas so they are by the bedside.

Also like gardening books - but read the pictures more than the words. I got a new one for Christmas - Roses for Michigan. Talk about beautiful pictures.