What happened with my radishes?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Green Fingers, May 8, 2014.

1. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

These radishes were planted in 100% leaf compost from a local nursery that had some huge grubs in it which I removed before planting. My question is what went wrong with these 3 radishes? There were no bugs on them and the rest of the crop was fine. I also have carrots growing in the same container should I be concerned? [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Green Fingers's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It looks like insect damage to me. Could have been pill bugs. they will eat anything and love to be where the soil is humousy.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I get these "craters" in my radishes and other root and tuber veggies from time to time. There is a tan, grey-brown shell-less slug that makes them.It is possible that you have the same slug there. They live in the soil and are rarely seen above ground. If they do venture above ground, then it is at night.

I hope that you can find and destroy those beasts. They really can cause serious damage.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well, its a critter of some kind.

6. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

Thanks Carolyn, Sj and Mart for your input. So it seems that it is some kind og bug and not a disease. I did notice some roly-poly and tiny mites in the soil. Perhaps it's time to introduce those beneficial nematodes!