What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Kate, that is a lovely sentiment which I'm sure is shared by all of us Stewies.
    I thinned turnips early this morning so I could take them to our neighbor with the dew still on the greens (she loves turnip greens). Then I potted up some basil and parsley to put in the herb containers near the patio. Madeline Hill's Herbs for Southern Gardens recommends having container herbs as a back-up to the herb garden. Containers are moveable, relocating an herb garden isn't so easy!
    I need to pick more lettuce . . . .

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

down to the last 50 hanging baskets... moved, planted and repotted today. tonight it is supposed to be cold though down to 16 again. sheeesh! I have had enough! 50 on friday night. I just want it to moderate some. maybe split the difference.

3. SylvieB

SylvieB New Seed

I don't have a garden yet, but my starter trays of flowers and herbs are doing well. A couple weekends ago I moved the taller morning glories into larger pots and I'm hoping they do okay there until I move in 27 days! Then I can get them in their final homes :).

kbsrt410, Islandlife and Frank like this.
  4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

As the clouds gathered, I nipped out to pick lettuce. Just finished in time for the first drops to hit me on the way back to the house.
    Husband was mowing the backyard and bagging the grass for the inside coop, and he finished just in time. The hens are inside, we are inside, and I have a pot of stock simmering on the stove. Sometimes a rainy day gives a bit of soothing rest.

hummerbum likes this.
  6. CJay

CJay In Flower

I managed to get home for the first time in like 2 months today. Last time I left the hospital I had to go back the very next day.

Grandma and grandpa erected a small greenhouse and thr cucs I started in my kitchen are three feet tall and thriving in the greenhouse and I have maters three inches high.

But I've got to go back tonight. Getting all antsy not being there with him.

hummerbum likes this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

CJay, remember he is getting the best care around and when you are home you need to rest and give yourself the time you need to heal physically and mentally. I know you love him but love yourself too.

My huglekultur is coming right along. I have three rows of cinderblocks on the front and sides with the tin along the back, it is full of sticks, branches and leaves. This week I start adding old dirt from various pots I haven't used in a few season and I will be out there with the hose giving it a good soaking to try to settle the leaves to the bottom.

Next I am going to make an herbal spiral garden. Going to use old bricks for the first round then I have several old wine bottles scattered around the garden as path markers that I am going to continue the spiral with as the soil gets deeper.
    Sorta like this ... http://shelleymichel.blogspot.com/2014/04/my-spiral-herb-garden-step-by-step-how.html

CJay likes this.
  8. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

I"ve been so behind with posting. New garden plot is tilled. And Boyyyyy Im one lucky girl. Dark dark brown, and rich dirt was what I was blessed with. Thank you garden gods. We're working this week to get early season stuff in. I've been taking my seedlings that need hardened off with me to work, so I can keep a good eye on them. THey're loving the time in the sun. Next year I'll be making a 3 tier rack to start my seeds. I don't have the natural light to achieve what I have before, so rack it is.

We also tore out all of the old landscaping in the front of our house and replaced it with new, flowering, shrubs. Busy busy busy. :)

blktalon3 likes this.
  9. CJay

CJay In Flower

I went home today with the intention of tilling it eventhough its been raining like crazy. Yeah. A little early to be doing that. Still kinda frozen down below a foot. That coupled with the mud. Not happening.

Well. Back to the hospital.

Oh and thank you. Never been one to rest. 4 months more or less in the hospital is more rest than Ive ever gotten. Im ready to do something.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

cjay... rest honey as much as you can. your body needs to heal. you have been through a lot in the last several months. DON'T make me come out there. I had a c section... it took more than a couple weeks to feel better.

marlingardener, CJay and kbsrt410 like this.
  11. CJay

CJay In Flower

People keep telling me that. But I feel pretty good. Maybe y'all are right.

carolyn likes this.
  12. blktalon3

blktalon3 New Seed

I wanted to try a grape vine this year. So I ordered one online. After I got it, it sat in the garage for about 2-3 weeks cause I just didn't have time plus got the flu followed by bronchitis:smt119. Anyway finally got it planted a couple days ago. I had been checking on it and when I went out yesterday I saw this... :smt026
    IMG_2166.JPG

marlingardener, kbsrt410 and Frank like this.
  13. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

This weekend was busy busy. We got all beds raked out and cleaned out. 2 of my most needed raised beds made, as well as lettuce, peas, radishes, carrots, chard, broccoli and beets put in. I'm just about 2 weeks behind. I cheated a little. My seed starting at our new house has not been nearly as successful as previous years. So I purchased some very nice looking plants for the lettuce and chard at our local greenhouse. I may go back tonight for the broccoli. They were great looking plants and mine are spindly. On the plan for the next few weeks after all beds are made, start the seed starting table!! Unfortunately, it will be necessary. Just another thing....

carolyn likes this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I picked lettuce, weeded two rows of potatoes, thinned the turnips for the last time (I hope!) and looked at the grass coming up between my rows of tomatoes. Darn that grass! Tomorrow is planting squash and cucumbers, weeding the remaining rows of potatoes if the soil is dry enough, and then falling face forward on our bed for a nice nap!

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

just plant them. they will get stockier after they are in the garden.

kbsrt410 likes this.