What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I finally got the potato patch weeded--the soil has dried out enough that I could get in and hoe and hand weed. I also prepped and took basil, cherry tomato, and oregano plants into town to give to friends who container garden.
    I need to pick lettuce and weed the tomatoes, but tomorrow is another day!
    Kbsrt, Carolyn is right--spindly plants sturdy up almost as soon as they hit garden soil. Your broccoli starts will be fine, but if you want to plant more, go right ahead and get the store bought ones. Broccoli is great fresh--steamed or raw--and it freezes well after a brief blanching.

2. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

Thats what I did. Its amazing that they are very small and skinny but they stand up better than the other plants. They've grown noticeably since putting them in.

Tooty2shoes and carolyn like this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it is because they are not top heavy and have no anchor. . they will probably even grow better than the bought ones.

Tooty2shoes and kbsrt410 like this.
  4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I looked at the garden which is still sleeping. Enjoyed some early crocus-Purple ones and white ones. Went for a walk on our trails then down to the river on our neighbors trails. Then on would way back through our trails we stopped and cut down some wild Grape vines.:mad: We hate those critters. This year on our 8 acres we are going to wage war on the wild Parsnip. But first we have to be sure every part of our body is covered so we do not get any sap on us. Would also love to plant some Red Oak, but I'm afeared that they would cost a few to many pennies. Oh well, that is on my wish list.

Henry Johnson and kbsrt410 like this.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

sounds like you need a goat or two. they are awesome at cleaning up everything. they use them to keep the kudzu at bay in areas with a problem.

Jsdphilly and Tooty2shoes like this.
  6. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

We are blessed with wonderful weather!! low humidity temp in low 70's just perfect. I got the grass mowed last of the winter garden picked and the spring garden all but planted just missing a few pepper plants that I bought at the local Ag store. It's high time to have a play in the yard Sunday I will let yall know but its fun and fire pit and BBq time!!!!!

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

CajunCappy, isn't this a wonderful season in the south? I planted the last of the bell pepper plants today, finally got the tomato patch weeded, my husband is mowing the barn lot, and this afternoon I'm going to deadhead and commune with the roses.
    I have chicken marinating to put on the grill, and we will have it with a BIG salad from the garden. Spring in Texas is a marvelous time (summer, maybe not so much).

8. kate

kate In Flower

I did quite a bit over days.

Roses are in bud but on an older rose tree. I had to buy late sis another standard ''Happy Retirement'' rose because the stem was snapped on moving day. The new one is now in full leaf and is usually in bud for her birthday (May) Its growing nicely but the other would have had twice as many roses this year. The new one has been planted where the other was in a pot. I planted a shoot with a leaf of the old Happy Retirement to see if it would grow, its in a border in the back garden and seems to have a few more leaves. What it was the root had been left in the pot when the stem snapped and this stem grew..

Yesterday I planted a (Kniphofia) Red Hot Poker plant and two new conifers, The white Bleeding Heart (Disentra) is in flower. Bought and planted Violas they are in flower.

And By jingo, I have a Peony with buds..finally.

I bought the Peony last year, the only luck I had with these plants from before was a pinhead bud would appear then just as quickly disapear never growing any bigger till now.. Over the years I have bought many of these plants without success. I watched and I read what Peonies require for planting and did that to the letter.

Planted a Dahlia that was a new color this year, its like a light lime green color.
    :smt041:smt026
    K

9. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

marlin we have chicken ready for the pit today too. Peppers are the last things to plant in our raised beds. have them ready to go. I cant agree more that this is the perfect outside time Peggy is having her coffee outside as I type. Gotta enjoy it while we can cause the horrid heat aint far away

marlingardener and Henry Johnson like this.
  10. CJay

CJay In Flower

I managed to get my front flower garden cleaned up. Laid down new landscaping material and covered it with new chips. My hyacinth came back from last year. All three actually. But they're pretty sickly looking.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The cleaning-up has been finished and some planting has begun.
    It is good to be back in the lottie.

carolyn and marlingardener like this.
  12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I am FINALLY able to work in the gardens again too! So far just some clean up, weeding and edging, but I couldn't be happier to be back out there!

Sjoerd and carolyn like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Glad to hear that the weather there is such that you can finally make a start in your lovely garden. Do you think that the snow there lasted less long this year than last? It seemed that it hung around your house for ages last year.
    You mentioned "edging" in your note up above---My grass paths desperately need edging, but because we are so behind, that little job shall have to wait a bit. I so enjoy how grass areas look when they have recently been edged.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This morning I picked lettuce again, harvested 8 heads of broccoli, and picked edible pod peas. There is so much that needs doing, but as Sjoerd said, "shall have to wait a bit."

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not much will get done out there today, all the dirt shoveling to dig a small ditch and bending to put in new plants still has my back very achy. So, besides laundry, I think I will probably just wander the gardens to see what is going on then come back inside and either read or knit and watch HGTV