What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I cut back zinnias--they were taking over the stone path to the water barrel and for some reason, my husband objected to fighting his way through the greenery to get to the water barrel o_O. I now have two lovely zinnia bouquets in the house, and a clear path to the water barrel.
    Picked a few cherry tomatoes and a cuke, played "chase the toy" with the kittens, and made sure all the chickens and cats had plenty of fresh water.

Growingpains likes this.
  2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Mostly just observed the garden. We bought a dozen ears of corn for $1.00 . YAY A man told us it was from MO. Really sweet and we froze three bags.

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I weeded the tomato house. I transplanted basil and planted bush beans. I harvested yellow peppers and courgettes and beetroot and beans and a couple of bunches of parsley. It is really hot now, but I will go and dig up some more potatoes soon and weed and hill the last 2 rows of potatoes.

Growingpains likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yesterday I baked all day... after I got home with my daughter from the oral surgeon. no more wisdom teeth left in her mouth. made potato bread, tropical zucchini bread, lemon muffin cakes, and chocolate peanutbutter chip cookies. I have a market today and it is pouring right now.I hope it clears up a little I need to pull some beets and cut some cabbage... I don't think I can get in the beans to pick any today...sigh.

Growingpains likes this.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I put ice and water in a hanging planter and need to do some watering since Mother Nature has turned off the faucet in the sky....it had been dribbling on us like the handle had not been turned off completely but I think she noticed the drips and turned it off completely.

Growingpains likes this.
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Wise to refrain from picking beans when they're damp, or so I have heard.
    I picked a few pickling cukes. Also enough Yellow squash to share with three neighbors.

7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I picked some beans, potatoes, cukes, gherkins and courgettes. Also a chinese cabbage. I transplanted onions lettuce and some parsley. Will water a bit this evening.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Picked more Yellow squash. Put up a half gallon jar of Dill pickles. Picked our first semi ripe tomato /semi ripe because it was falling victim to Blossom end rot. I sliced off the offending part and the remainder tasted great.
    I was tempted to dig up a hill of potatoes because we decided to eat them as we harvest them. Why buy potatoes now as we save the crop.

9. JTS

JTS New Seed

Planted some nasturtium seeds in my now bare tulip bed so I can have some color in that spot

Growingpains likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We have been harvesting Swiss chard, beans of two sorts and courgettes in-between the rain showers. I cut the garden path grass as well.

Growingpains likes this.
  11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Picked our first green beans, two lovely, delicious tomatoes (Which made a tasty lunch with Turkey bacon on a sandwich). The beans were sauted lightly in vegetable oil . Instead of freezing beans this year, we intend to eat them. Yesterday, we took out another two potato hills and will eat them before digging more, I hope.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it has been dry for 3 days now. there is lots to finish yet, but we had a market today then we weeded a row of beans, picked up rocks out of the bean patch, lots of rocks. I needed the skid steer again. I planted 4 more rows of greenbeans and then I went and got out the hand tractor. I rototilled the previous 8 rows of greenbeans, down the corn patch (150') and back up on one side, got the tiller all the way from across the road to the shop and ran out of gas as I walked it into the shop... I knew it was low I was just hoping to not have to go get the gas can and fill it to bring it up the huge hill and get it put away. and I am tired. really tired. the beans are across the road, by the way. not here.

Growingpains likes this.
  13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I took out some of the Romaine lettuce because it's going up to seed. Put fresh dirt and vermiculite and worm castings in, set out some remaining onion seedlings and a tomato plant, watered remaining potato hills and the tomatoes which are in pots.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Didn't do much in the garden today because I was getting ready to can tomatoes. Celebrities (old-fashioned tomatoes that don't need added acid for canning) and Romas, to which I added lemon juice. I've never canned Romas before, but figured that paste tomatoes had less acid than the other kinds, so I'd err on the safe side.
    I'll pick more tomatoes tomorrow, with BeeGee's help (he is our resident kitten that "helps" with almost all of the gardening chores). Perhaps there will be a bell pepper or two, and the lingering cucumber.

Growingpains likes this.
  15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Watered the tomatoes in pots, the new onions and tomato in a container, picked a yellow squash, took up more onions and tied them in two bunches , hung to dry.
    Watered Begonias planted in the openings of cement blocks. Scattered fresh grass clippings as a mulch on my favorite flower garden.