What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Thanks Growingpains, I have posted several threads with pictures. I am only 49, my arms aren´t quite reaching the floor yet. My inlaws are here on holiday for 2 weeks, mainly to visit their granddaughter. They brought me a new old computer that works about a million times better than the one I already have, so posting pictures will now be much less of a chore, so more coming soon. My father in law is going to buy me a strimmer for my birthday, so I will be able to really clean up, the only machine that I have is a chainsaw. Now I will be able to turn the jungle into a park.

Growingpains likes this.
  2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Odif, I like how you think.
    Enjoy the visit with your in-laws. Maybe you can entice them into carrying water.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

picked tomatoes, peppers, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, a few green beans, rototilled and planted 1/2 runner beans... gross! but people keep asking for them. they have to have the string pulled out.... extra work. pulled weeds out of the huge bean patch. I am tired.

Growingpains likes this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Huge thunderstorm and loads of rain, no watering for a few days. I won´t do much in the garden today, Harvesting beans once the plants dry out. Yesterday I harvested beans and potatoes and transplanted Brassicas. I also cleaned out the chicken coop and weeded strawberries. I am off shopping for a strimmer this morning.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Growingpains likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Carolyn, this is my first garden with no string beans. I'm lovin it,

Odif, you have chickens too ? Now I'm beginning to turn green with envy.

I replanted Blue Lake beans where they aren't coming up. Only about 10 in 3 short rows. All the others are up and were planted 5 days ago.
    We sure could use a lovely rain. Slow rain all day long.
    I took out one hill of potatoes. Great year for potatoes and they taste SO good.

6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I harvested 2 rows of potatoes and then I watered and afterwards I tried out my brand new stihl fs 460 brushcutter. I spent about 2 hours cutting around my garden. The afternoon I spent in my other garden watering and weeding. I had 4 clients so I had to harvest vegetables. Tomorrow I will go to my other garden again and start to attack the jungle.

Growingpains likes this.
  7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Odif, now I learn more. Do your customers only come to you, or do you also go to market ?

I watered a lot in all gardens, picked a few cukes. We would appreciate rain.

8. Odif

Odif Young Pine

My customers are mostly my friends and they come to me. I have permission from the Mayor to sell my vegetables at the village market, but I haven´t yet done it, maybe next week I will have enough vegetables. A rain would be good here too.

carolyn and Growingpains like this.
  9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sounds good to me, Odif.

Today, nothing but watering. Ho Hum.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good for you Odif.

I had a market actually 2 markets since Kevin does one too. Took corn, lettuce, beets, strawberries, zucchini, lots of tomatoes, yellow and green beans, peppers hot and sweet. picked the first of the table grapes,
    I baked all day Friday for it too. Bread and cookies. Came home and picked the blushing tomatoes and mixed fertilizer for the injector and watered the garden.

11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Carolyn, you're one of the most productive people I know.
    I watered a lot because we lack rain. Also pruned tomatoes and pulled Bindweed. Oh, also picked the meager beans.

12. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Today, I watered loads and harvested beans, cukes, courgettes, beetroots, capsicums and onions. I occupied with the tomatoes in the tomato house and it was lunchtime. I delivered 10 kg potatoes and I watered my other garden this afternoon. Real hot here, thunderstorms maybe tomorrow.

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Odif, am I right in assuming you derive as much joy from gardening as I do ?
    I mostly watered and watered and watered. We really need rain.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We have had out-of-town visitors and now they have departed.
    Lots to do in the lottie:
    Harvesting the spuds, swiss chard, peas, beans.
    The blueberries have yielded the first load as have the Opal plums. We got 21 jars of plum jam with this first picking. I think the rest will go to friends and family as well as the Food Bank.
    The corn had to be netted after the jackdaws took two ears. It is almost ready for us now.

Growingpains likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, I harvested some basil and oregano, looked at the tomatoes (picking tomorrow!) and checked the peppers. Mostly I tried to keep the kittens out of the pot plants. Kittens just love to sniff basil, walk the rim of the larger pots, and see if there is an interesting bug hiding anywhere.
    Please, does anyone want a kitten?:smt100

Growingpains likes this.