What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

So it took me all afternoon and 4 sweat rags to push mow the front yard. It is hot and very humid. With luck I can get the back mowed this afternoon.

Growingpains likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We are in the same (sweat) boat, cajuncappy. We mowed the back yard this morning and bagged the clippings to put in the chicken coop. We are both soaked with the humidity, but the hens are happy so I reckon our suffering was worth it!

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  3. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

No, Marlin. I have birds and cats aren't bird friendly.

Sjoerd, I knew you were up to something. You should have offered your guests a turn at weed pulling and corn shucking.

All I did today was watering a bit, and putting a potted tomato on a neighbor's porch so she can easily attend it. It's a plant I grew from a sucker. It rooted quickly and has a tiny tomato already.

4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

The start of taking out tomato plants. I hate doing that when frost hits.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Picked beans again. 3 bu. last night and one tonight. more tomorrow. probably another bushel or two out there. picked a wagon full of jade star watermelons and a crate of cantaloupes. a tray of zucchinis, too. and I canned 1 bushel of the beans that I picked yesterday.

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Indeed Carolyn, beans seem to be the dependable crop this year. Blue Lake beans keep on giving for us. The early 4 rows, two from seeds, two from plants from English Gardens, finally gave up the ghost. The 3 rows late planting are apparently determined to give equally.
    A recently planted Kale patch is growing rapidly and promises nice Autumn food.

Philip Nulty and carolyn like this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I baked bread for a market. Picked cherry tomatoes apples peppers grapes and raspberries. A few more things to pick in the morning.

Growingpains and Philip Nulty like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

With our gardens dormant, except for tomatoes and peppers and herbs, I am amazed at all the produce your gardens have, Carolyn. Your green thumb must extend all the way up to your shoulder!
    I watered today, and then cut some herbs to freeze.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

we are starting to wane, but there is still a lot in there to harvest. I also use 2 acres to grow on... which is a lot of land for vegetables. one of that is for corn. now the heavy stuff is what I am hauling around.... melons, corn (which I finished today) apples, tomatoes are going to be starting back up in a week or so, grapes are pretty heavy but I can pick those in peck bskts and put them on the wagon to get to the cooler. our frost date is Oct 15th but for the last several years it has been early.

10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Today I took out the Yellow squash plants because the Powdery mildew was becoming a problem, and we certainly have plenty. Every neighbor who wanted it was given. The Zucchini is still producing and it's a volunteer plant. Amazing plant which covers an area about 20 feet wide. Needless to say, we shared a lot.
    The tomatoes are still producing, but oh so slow to ripen. None for canning, so none for sharing. I have taken a few plants out so I won't get stuck in frost still taking out tomato plants.
    Peppers are just coming in well. A few pickling cukes. A late crop of beans.
    Small farming is good. :like:

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

GP, tomatoes not ripening seems to be a universal issue this year. everywhere. I doa tomato forum and that is a comment all over the place. even one in France or Germany just remarked how slooooow the tomatoes are to ripen. I had hardly any extra tomatoes this year. I didn't sell any by the bushel.

12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Carolyn, we treasure each tomato that ripens. he small ones either go into a glass of juice or atop salads. Each large one is set aside for sandwiches.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have been canning today. I have had a peck of paste toms sitting in the shed for about 2 weeks. it has been cool here. so I washed them and put them in the crock pot s overnight. I made 18 pints of pureed tomatoes w/ celery in them and moved on to "barberton hot rice" which is a sauce type side dish made at all the Barberton chicken houses near here. served with french fries and deep fried chicken. the sauce is a tomato based with onions, hot and sweet peppers,sugar, salt, vinegar, paprika? and rice. not sure if it is served anywhere else or not. maybe just regional cooking here. so I made up a recipe I thought would be somewhat passable for it and I think I got close. I don't cook with onions so some things are hard to duplicate. It is missing something and I think it is probably the onions... and butter. I didn't add the butter or the rice since I was canning it. I will add those after I open it to serve it. also made 1/2 Bu of grapes into juice.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It has been raining here for weeks on end. Many plots are under water. Mine isn't, but it has been too wet to work in. I have harvested and put-up quite a bit of veg, apples, blueberries, toms and the last of the beans.
    I have also gotten some honey from the bees and am treating them now for mites.

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

been wondering if you were away. glad to see you again.

Sjoerd, Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.