What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

It opens a need in me to re-read Beowulf, in today's fractured English. I love the "ould" English. I still spell some words as the British spell them. Saviour. Honour.
    Daddy used several words from the early English and Irish. His may have been from the lower class / we know the very proper British held to the class system and possibly do yet?

Our gardens haven't had a hard frost yet. I believe the beans might be producing had we not taken them out.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I harvested some basil and tomatoes from the tomato house yesterday. Today, I harvested leeks, Rucola , lettuce, parsley and carrots.

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  3. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Picked enough Parsley for a pot of soup.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not a blasted thing for almost a month. I twisted my knee really bad and could barely walk for the last month but it is getting better .... just in time to walk through a 4 inch deep layer of pecan leaves that have been falling steadily since then. Randy has a shop vac I am going to use on them then dump them on the new garden bed I created last Spring.

Advertisement
  5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Toni, does he use a mulching mower / machine on the leaves ?
    The only thing I do in the garden now is burying peelings, etc.

6. toni

We do not own a lawn mower, I took the front and back yards out a few years ago. I am building a huglekultur in the backyard so all the leaves will go in that this fall.

Growingpains likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Toni sorry you have wrenched your knee badly. I hope it heals without sequeia.

Growingpains likes this.
  8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Huglekultur ! Hmmmmm, I must google that one, but I suspect it's some type of compost building ?

9. toni

Yep, pretty much. Some are very formally built but I just made a bed using the back fence as one side (we attached pieces of corrugated tin to the fence to keep the dirt from falling out) and cinder blocks stacked 3 high for the other three sides. I had a pile of fallen tree limbs (pecan trees will supply all of those I will ever need:eek:) then started emptying pots of old soil into it and the soil I dug out of the front sun bed to make a trench for the cannas. It has been settling since June and this winter I am going to buy bags of top soil and some compost to throw on there. I am hoping to be able to plant in it by next summer. Right now it is being used as a habitat by a family of Texas Spiny Lizards.
    A few years ago I did the same thing to create a shade bed on the north side of the house and last winter I created a shade bed in the back yard using one side of the metal shed, side fence and more cinder blocks.

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

ordered and planted up 80 raspberries and 10 blueberry plants. the raspberries were little plants so that was easy. the blueberries were 1 gallon pots... wow, the box was heavy.

Growingpains, Cayuga Morning and Odif like this.
  11. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Hügel means hill or mound in English.

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Toni, I've read about hugelkultur....I think on this site. Sounds interesting. I guess the tree trunks as they slowly rot hold moisture well so it is good for dry climates?

Carolyn, what a great idea to plant raspberries & blueberries!

Growingpains, do you bury your kitchen vegetable waste directly in your garden during the fall? Winter? Spring? Does it turn to compost buy planting time?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Growingpains likes this.
  13. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Today, I transplanted horseradish and we cut back lots of perennials that had died back for the winter. I made a tunnel and planted lettuce seeds. I transplanted some strawberries and lettuces. I cut up an oak that had fallen in the wind the other day. I kept the 6 meter long trunk complete. Over the years, I have cut enough wood and hopefully I build my cabin this winter.

14. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Toni, brilliant !

Carolyn, I see lots of berries in your future. I love both, but Blue berries would be my favorite.
    Odif, I'm excited just thinking of you building a cabin from logs you have saved. Twice in my childhood I lived in log cabins.

Cayuga, yes, we bury the peelings all year unless the ground freezes, in which case, we keep them in a huge pail, outside, until thaw. They are mostly decomposed by Spring, but the bit that isn't gets finely chopped and buried deeper.

Cayuga Morning and Odif like this.
  15. toni

CM you are right about the tree logs and branches being a slow release system for watering the bed.....now if we could only get some decent rain for them to soak up.
    I did some of the sucking up of fallen leaves this morning, got two of the large lawn refuse bag filled then dumped on the huglekultur out back. Sad thing is those were just what fell on the driveway and front walk from one tree...one really large Pecan tree. What fell on the beds will stay there as mulch and hopefully compost over time. And as I was bagging them more were falling from yet another Pecan tree and I am not even going to think about the Hackberry, Chinaberry and Crepe Myrtle leaves that haven't even begun to fall.