What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. mike2942132

mike2942132 New Seed

nice forum i liked

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

opened and closed the high tunnels. that is it.

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I spent Sunday in my garden cutting back and clearing back, it is almost all done and tidy, just the willow to be pollarded and the surrounding bed to be tidied then this morning I managed to get a couple of hours on the allotment and cracked on with weeding and raking the new spud bed. I finally getting back in the swing of things.

marlingardener likes this.
  4. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

A lot of dreaming :) I did purchase about 21 packs of seeds, as well as new lights for a grow table for my starts. Kale, chard, leeks, and some lettuce are being started this weekend!

Odif likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

This morning I transplanted lettuces and planted lettuce seeds. I had to weed and watered my tunnels. I planted some salad onions out and I planted out 2 roses. I cut some wood this afternoon

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

filled flats for seeding, re covered my lettuce in the high tunnel. supposed to get down to 17° tonight and cold the rest of the week. seeded some oregano and thyme today and onions yesterday.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The weather is warming up so I will have a chance to finally get out and busy in the front garden....the back will have to wait a while.
    After a miserable summer last year and doing something not friendly to my left knee back in Sept when I did get a chance to work out there, it has been 9 months since I have done anything out there except wander around then come inside to make plans for future gardening weather that I really hope happens.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

snow! 4" worth and 3 hours of shoveling

9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

We have had a very mild winter so far. Not much rain or snow. The weather report is threatening us with bad weather for February. Today I will plant carrots.

10. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Well I planted carrots and romanesco cauliflower and parsley and asparagus seeds

carolyn likes this.
  11. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

It lashed with rain all morning but cleared so I spent a couple of hours tidying my greenhouse and getting it ready for spring.

carolyn likes this.
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Cleaned off the patio of dead leaves, clipped the mammoth pepper plant and rooting 2 more for the year (hopefully), clipped off the dead parts of the other pepper plants, cleaned around the roses and took off dead limbs. Inside, put the lettuces/kale in their permanent home, tomato seedlings are looking better. Will sow cilantro later today or tomorrow. Oh clipped off the mammoth jalapenos that were still on the bush and put them in Apple cider vinegar. One bottle has garlic, peppers and carrots (have no idea how that will turn out). Other two bottles have just vinegar and peppers in them..i did put a touch of kosher salt in one though. Boy those jokers are HOttttttttt. I touched the tip of my finger to the tip of my tongue.....why, don't ask.....i tell you, my sinuses cleared and i couldn't drink enough water fast enough!!!
    Vinegars.jpg

Sjoerd and carolyn like this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I must need some of these peppers. I have been coughing and stuffed up for a week. I need something to clear the lungs and the sinuses. I probably couldn't taste them though. I can't smell a thing.

hummerbum likes this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hummerbum, jalapenos are canned with vinegar, salt, and carrots. The carrots "sweeten" the hot peppers a bit and take away some of the bite. You could also add a bit of onion if you want. If it works for jalapenos, it should work for other hot peppers.
    Next time you need to clear your sinuses :)smt019) and touch your peppery finger to your tongue, eat some bread and don't drink water. Pepperheads (those who eat the hottest peppers ever) use bread because water just disperses the heat and doesn't necessarily ameliorate the burning. I wouldn't know from experience--I"m a scardy cat when it comes to hot pepper!

hummerbum likes this.
  15. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Wow Carolyn...sorry to hear that you don't feel all that hot. Oh you would definitely smell these. Try Vicks Vapor Rub under your nose for the cough!!! Put a good layer of vaseline or shea butter under your nose FIRST, to protect that thin layer of skin because as you probably know, Vicks will burn, then dab a fair amount on top of the vaseline under your nostrils. The menthol is wonderful for coughs and it really makes you rest at night if you use it especially at bedtime, so much so, I also use it for my sinus headaches. (have some on as we speak and i'm at work...lol.) Also, ginger tea helps also..Has a lot of different herbs in the tea bags that helps soothe coughs. Do I sound like an expert yet? LMBO. I suffer/ed with bronchitis/walking pneumonia just about every year since moving to Savannah 22 years ago. I am now looking for natural/homepathic ways to give me relief. I just figure..if they give you meds for one thing, just imagine what it's doing to other parts of your body. Even though Vicks is not homeopathic, it will do the trick for now instead of meds, if it's not to far along. If all that fails, then you need to seek medical attention (that's my story and i'm stickin' to it)

Now, Marlingardener.....i am from the South where I eat pickles or anything with vinegar, especially greens. (I don't eat them without pepper vinegar). So when i get a few extra peppers, I "freshen" up the jar with both vinegar and peppers. I've never used carrots and had extras, but i think i messed up and didn't use salt at all for the carrots.
    LOL..i won't be trying to taste those ever again. Those are my first peppers from that plant.