What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

We have been having proper spring weather for the last few days. I transplanted cauliflowers outside and tomatoes into bigger pots. I planted lettuce seeds, weeded a strawberry bed. My carrots have germinated. Next week is predicted snow and frosts. I harvested a cabbage and lettuces, rucola, lambs lettuce and the first few radishes.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Nothing done in the garden in months, after last year of having to be packed and ready for a phone call, we put off several of our own yearly medical tests but we have now caught up on them and I can get back to GARDENING.
    First of course is raking up the leaves from all the Hackberry and Pecan trees that I left to on the gardens to play the role of mulch for winter.

The rest of this week is to be in the 66-84 deg range and nothing on the calender that requires my attention so I will be a happy, and sore, person by the end of the week.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

watered a few hanging baskets, planted up tomatoes into patio pots, put all the hangers on the hanging baskets I have one pot without a hanger but thats ok... I have some more in another house I am certain. then all 350 baskets should be filled. planted 500 rosemary seeds of which I hope I can get a few to germinate. these are the hardest seeds to germinate. notoriously poor germination. next year I will order rooted cuttings. done with seeds for them. next I will get tomato seeds started/ peppers are on the heat mat germinating. I see petunias peeking through... the season is upon us here in zone 5 or 6 or whatever zone I live in.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Flower containers on the balcony planted---vinca, tyme and violettes.
    Checked the bees and all looks pretty good. Just one colony seems too small. I shall keep an eye on them. They got treated for varroa a few weeks ago.

Advertisement
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Turning and sieving compost and weeding the tunnels.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Temps in the high 70's, sunshine, and gardens ready to plant! After cleaning house, doing two loads of laundry and hanging them out, I finally got to go play in the dirt. Two rows of peas and a row of turnips planted, all four raised beds watered, and the path around the seasonal garden raked again. It's 2 in the afternoon, and I'm tired out.
    I know, I know, Carolyn would have all of the above done by 9:30 a.m. and be ready to transplant, seed, and fix a good dinner. She's a hardier woman than I (also more efficient!).

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Still, I'm impressed MG

8. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Well I fed my plants in my tunnels with a bacterial mix that I brewed up. I fed the chickens like everyday. I turned a compost. I was then about to stop for the morning when I couldn't find my phone. I retraced every step I had taken this morning three times. I undid and redid the compost. I then got the bright Idea to get my wife to phone me repeatedly until I answered. Eventually I was in the cellar when I heard it ringing. Panic over.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nothing to plant out yet, but my plants are up...well, most of them, at least.

Odif likes this.
  10. Odif

Odif Young Pine

lettuce16.3.jpg
    The lettuce look good even before the weeding.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Odi---I can't say enough positive about this posting and foto of yours.
    It is nothing less than magnificent to see your lettuces.
    Somehow I never expected that they would be so far along, even with protective tenting.

carolyn likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

zzz.jpg

Broad beans on the left and Toms on the right

zz.jpg

Four sorts of spuds.

Spring is on the way. I shall plant the toms on when the second set of leaves develop. The spuds may go in at the end of march.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, I planted our potatoes yesterday, using your trench method. Digging a trench, then covering the potato chits, and then filling in the trench after the greenery shows is soooo much easier than hilling! We used your method last year and had a great potato crop.
    Today I've done absolutely nothing in the garden, not even watering. This is the first day of spring (?) and our temps are in the low 50's with a cutting wind blowing. The plants I'm hardening off before planting outside stayed in the barn today--too windy and too darned cold for the tender plants to be on the garden table.
    However, I did bake four loaves of foccacia bread, using dried herbs from the fall garden. Does that count?

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a thrill to hear that you had success with that method...and that you are still using it ! Wow.
    Here's hoping that you'll have success again this year. I hope that there won't be too much rain there though.

15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have started the earliest spring seeds: leeks, tatsoi, suko pac choi, lettuce mix & buttercrunch lettuce under lights indoors. All but the leeks & the buttercrunch are up! Most of these are seeds from last year. I did a germination test on them & discovered they were still viable.

I also just ordered a comfrey bocking 14 to plant in the community garden for manure tea. ( @Sjoerd .... do you hear this?)

Last Sunday, my husband & I attended a garden club meeting & heard a talk about getting ready for spring. The part that was most helpful was a demonstration on how to sharpen pruning shears.

Yes. I bet I am not the only one with numerous shears of different sizes & types, all of them dull. I am inspired. The last time I used our pruning shears, I had to put so much muscle into them that when the branch was cut, I proceeded to clunk myself in the forehead. I still am sporting a welt in the middle of my forehead.

So I have now purchased a pruner file. Stay tuned. I'll let you know how it goes.

carolyn and Sjoerd like this.