What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

well, I think that either is part of the life cycle. chips all over for mulch or burnt wood for the potash in the soil... hmmmm, depends on your needs. Mother nature provides both at times throughout the growing cycle of life. Burning weeds and junk gets rid of weed seeds.

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was a busy day in the garden. Plot-wise...it wasn't a large area, but we both worked hard on it. All we actually did was to clear plots and plant a couple of things. It took us the better part of a day though. We would have stayed longer, but had a meeting to go to.
    werk3.jpg

Never mind, it is a beginning. Tomorrow or so, we will begin replacing the soil in the greenhouse.

3. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

It was not what I did in the garden. It was what I did in a customer's yard. I picked up sticks and cut up branches. All of these I put into a lawn paper bag that decomposes.

hummerbum likes this.
  4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Odif, I also had plans. I intended to set out onion sets. Too cold. Too drab. Maybe tomorrow?
    Cayuga, let us know which is less harmful to the atmosphere when you learn. We're not allowed to burn where I live.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would think that since burning a pile of limbs and branches takes longer than chipping them, burning would be worse for the environment. But I do not know for sure:shrug:

Too much of a wildfire hazard down here, plus this is almost the middle of a large city so burning only adds more pollution to the air. Our city utilities service picks up bags of leaves and assorted tree branches and limbs once a week when you put it on the curb and they take it to either the regular dump where it will eventually compost or some cities contract with one or two of the large compost companies to receive it, compost it and then the city or residents can use it for their gardens.
    And residents outside the city limits usually can burn if there is no burn ban in effect or pile it up as habitats for small creatures.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, today was another wonderful work day in the lottie...and I've got the aches and pains to prove it. It was a tad rainy, overcast and windy, but I was not to be deterred. The Bride stayed home today to do some reading, wash her hair and a load of washing. When her hair was dry, we had a chat on the fone, and I just advised her to stay home...warm and comfy.

It was misting rain...you know the type--the kind that soaks you and you don't realize it till it's too late. Lucky I had my old wax along with me.

Anyway. Today I pruned the fruit trees and the rest of the Buddleja. Removed more Clematis plants, cleaned the plot under the plum tree, cleaned half of another plot up front, schoffeled in front of the bee hives and made the plot that will receive the sprouts ready, the greenhouse had its soil removed and new soil put in the trenches. I also cleaned the little mini bed in front of the garden house. Last year's primula's are beginning to bloom and look sorta cute.
    day.jpg

Greenhouse with new soil:
    day3.jpg

One of the Butterfly bushes:
    day2.jpg

Finally the new bed cleared for the sorout plants:
    day4.jpg

What a day!

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, burn, compost, or both? We do both. The larger limbs that come down, we put in the burn pile, and burn very carefully--no wind, lots of green grass in the pasture so the dry stuff doesn't ignite, and an adequate water supply to put out anything we get worried about. Then the ash is put on the vegetable beds. We don't know if the ash is needed, but we do have to put it somewhere!
    Smaller limbs go into the compost pile--they add space for air to circulate in the pile, and eventually break down.
    We have thought about buying a chipper, but the wood going into it must be green, and we have dead limbs coming down. It seems each gardener has to decide what is best for them.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks folks for weighing in the the ecology of burning vs chipping. The jury is still out here.

Today I helped a fellow Community Garden member cut up two trees that had fallen into our garden, knocking down our double fence. In no more than 3 days, DEER had found their way into the garden! Do you believe that!!?? Fortunately nothing is up yet for them to eat, but it was imperative that we resurrect the fence. Deer are such creatures of habit, best to deter them right away.

Since i was already out at the vegie plot, I got the rest of the garlic planted, the peas & spinach planted & the shallots in.

Yesterday I had dug up an iris bed to thin them out. Today I got about 1/10th of them replanted. Conveniently, we are having a gentle rain now.

Anybody want iris tubers?

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

We had 139mm, over 5 inches of rain a couple of days ago. So I could only work in the polytunnel. Yesterday, I turned a lot of compost and planted out lettuces.

10. toni

I had hoped to get a little done today before the rain moved in and that is what I did....got a LITTLE done before the rain started. Got 4 water plants situated in two pots out front, fed the birds and squirrels their daily peanuts and birdseed. We found a place where I can get bulk quantities of in the shell peanuts a LOT cheaper than buying a few bags from the grocery store every time we go. Got 25 pounds 2 weeks ago.

hummerbum likes this.
  11. toni

Am working on making the back garden a bit nicer looking. I have got some veggies coming up, my asparagus plants are not coming back this year don't know what happened :crying: but the cherry toms I planted are getting taller and the three sisters plot is showing green. Put lots of fresh compost in various containers and lots of flower seeds planted so hopefully things will be looking pretty good in a few weeks.
    And I placed a plant order yesterday, first time in a few years. But since the local garden centers to not carry Patchoulli, which I love, I had to have some this year.

DeepWoods likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Toni, what is Patchoulli?

Didn't do much today: we had snow! Again!
    Did collect some wood chip mulch from an acquaintance & spread it under the Blueberries at home for weed control. I'll go back for more when the weather is more conducive.

Our community garden had a meeting (first one in EONS). It was a very productive meeting, but as a side note, I managed to score an additional small plot!!!!! Can you see me grinning from ear to ear? No one else wanted it. It is considered weed infested and very very wet. Well, raised beds will help that & now I have the room to grow blueberries, perennials , maybe some raspberries!! Ah ha! Berry gardening here I come!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Sjoerd likes this.
  13. toni

CM it's a medicinal herb, the oil can be used many ways. I love the fragrance in soaps and body lotion. Some associate the fragrance with the hippy days of the '60s. Pogostemon cablin (Patchouli)

hummerbum and Cayuga Morning like this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

You use it in your soap making?
    Am I remembering rightly that you make soap?

15. toni

You remember correctly and one of my favorite kinds to make for me is Patchouli.
    I have hopes of having three largish plants so I can take some of the leaves to make an herbal oil from them to use instead of buying the oil.