What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I´ve been a bit under the weather...but that has not stopped the Bride. She has been working like a horse in the lottie. She Edged the paths, did massive weeding, filled large plastic bags to take to the dump, planted spinach, planted the onions, planted the beetroot and mowed the paths. Whew! I am taking her out to supper tonight.

We also planted on the windowsill marigolds, courgettes, sprouts, corn, French climbing beans as well as runner beans. Some are already above ground.

Gad-- she accomplished so much on her own....why, I feel all un-needed now.:(

The toms--
    twee.jpg

Those toms are getting a little taller now, I want them at least double the height before planting them.
    Then the paprika´s (and more toms)--
    een.jpg

The season has begun, albeit early. It is so unseasonably warm at the moment...I worry a bit about a cold spell and or night frosting.

kate, carolyn, hummerbum and 2 others like this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sorry you haven't felt well SJ, but never fear you are definitely irreplaceable! Hopefully you will be on your feet soon.

Your bride sounds like a woman I would enjoy.

Those tomatoes look great!

hummerbum likes this.
  3. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Got 16 tomatoes planted, some calendula, basil, zucchini, scallop squash, parsnips, green beans, and a few more things on Saturday...
    April212018_1.jpg

April212018_2.jpg

I still have a lot of plants in the greenhouse....some are mine, some are waiting for friends to come and pick them up.
    April212018_6.jpg

April212018_5.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  4. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Sjoerd...Hoping that you feel much better and love your garden. Now I know why you are having spring/cabin fever....you have no more room!!! Those plants look amazing!!! Geez
    Deepwoods....wow just wow!! That's all I can say!!
    This is what I did April 5th to now...a lot of rearranging, getting rid of what didn't work, and fermenting..yes I said fermenting!!!
    Demolition time!
    Makeover 1.jpg
    Makeover 2.jpg
    Makeover 3.jpg
    Makeover 4.jpg
    Work in Progress.jpg
    Tomatoes & Purple Basil.jpg

Bamboo trellis for peas and beans. Oh but the string bean is dead thanks to the weather.
    Bamboo Trellis for beans and peas.jpg
    Crate 2.jpg
    Crate 3.jpg
    Herb Garden.jpg
    Fermented Meyer Lemon...now ready..hubby used it in his beer.
    Fermented Meyer Lemon.jpg
    Latin American Sauerkraut: Curtido
    Sauerkraut & Pepper Vinegar.jpg
    It's more opened now!
    Tomato Blossoms.jpg

Advertisement
  5. kate

kate In Flower

Posted in wrong place.
    K
    :smt089:smt089

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  6. kate

kate In Flower

Sorry you’ve been off color Sjoerd, I hope you soon feel yourself again soon.
    K

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. kate

kate In Flower

907AF4FE-5BE8-4E2E-BDCC-B524C5196F5A.jpeg 3C5DFBF1-6B08-451E-BE55-1BB95BB28DFE.jpeg

I planted a Peris (Forest flame) in the back garden, its a very long/wide garden lawn so helps to break it up. In the front lawn border I resited a Kniphofia.
    K
    The Peris fire brilliant red how many times in summer depends on the sun. The flowers once a year I believe.

DeepWoods likes this.
  8. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I picked out loose autumn leaves from the perennial plants.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Looking very good, Hummer. Shame about the string beans. The rest is looking super.
    Your fermenting and "sauring" is looking good.

Thanks a mil, Kate. Gorgeous blooms, BTW.

Deep Woods, your growing plants look very good. Oh, I can be so jealous of folks with those lovely poly-tunnels. Great work.

DeepWoods likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The toms are almost ready to go into the greenhouse. In preparation for that, I clipped off the lower leaved from the stems. They are almost the desired length.
    Before:
    tom.jpg

Then after the trim:
    tom2.jpg

Don't they look bare? Ach wel...it doesn't matter the whole stem is going underground.

11. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Sjoerd.. your tomato plants are coming along well.
    Every bodies plants are looking nice...Aaah Spring!!

I finally got around to making my compost bin today...I've had the pallets for a while, just have not done it. I had a huge pile of compost just spread out on the ground. I sifted the best compost over the past couple of weeks and got 3 big feed sacks full and filled a tub to plant potatoes in so far.
    Planted some Cosmos seeds that I saved last fall, put them in several areas around the yard. Set out some Calendula plants, broccoli and brussel sprout plants too.

CompostBin_IMG_1783_04272018.jpg

IMG_2549_Sifted_Compost.jpg

12. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Gosh, I turn my back for a bit and everything grows like billy-oh! I have planted my tomatoes and chillis in the allotment greenhouse and have started sowing and planting on the plot, things are really coming together. Today has been a rotten, wet day but between the showers I have planted up a couple of pots with mixed bedding and planted up a hanging basket, I know people can be snobby about traditional bedding plants, but I love them for a blast of colour.

DeepWoods likes this.
  13. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Well over the past few days I've gotten the squash plants set out along with some pepper plants. Planted cantaloupe seed, some black oil sunflowers, set out some zinnia plants too.
    Built a drip irrigation system for my front raised beds. Also added some rabbit manure to some of the larger plants.
    Zuchinni_Iphone_IMG_2645.jpg

ScallopSquash_050218_Iphone_IMG_2657.jpg

DripSystem_IMG_2653.jpg

14. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Wow, zucchini already, mine are still baby plants.

Today was a dry sunny day so I was working in other peoples gardens all day, mostly cutting grass. I’m looking forward to the long bank holiday weekend so I can spend time in my garden and on the plot

hummerbum and DeepWoods like this.
  15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not much this week, got out in the back garden to put some plants in the ground and the tipsy buckets on Monday then humid heat moved in so Tuesday and Wednesday were stay indoors days for me. Today it has been raining, which we desperately need so no gardening for me yet. So instead I placed another plant order....got Woad, Roman Chamomile, Sweet Woodruff and Feverfew coming in a few days.

DeepWoods likes this.