What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

well we have tilled the garden a couple times and planted potatoes, three hills of them,red one and some kennokee white, we put up wire to hold up tomatoes we got some big boys early girls and pink ones i cant think of the name of them, i still need to get some little cherry tomatoes to, i have bought but not planted yet some broccoli kale cabbage squash and im sure there will be more things just havent got them yet, last year i had so many tomatoes i i was so proud i got up the next morning and the deer had ate almost all them i was so mad, i babyed them things and fertilized all for them to eat my tomatoes , guees i sound upset to say the least, well hopefully this year will be better i love gardening, wont let it stop me happy gardening margie

DeepWoods likes this.
  2. kate

kate In Flower

General tidy up yesterday, today is too early at 09.10 ...:smt081:smt043
    K

DeepWoods likes this.
  3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I got some cleaning up done and a few things in the ground out front while the sun was in the east (our house faces west). By the time I was getting sore, I was also getting way to hot to continue when the sun came over the roof and spread it's ugly self on the front yard.
    So we went to get lunch, stopped at a garden center for more plants :rolleyes: and a cedar board then home to replace a shelf out front that had finally had enough use and decided to detach itself from the supports holding it to the fence.
    I hope tomorrow morning is as nice as this morning was, I still have plants to get in the ground.

DeepWoods likes this.
  4. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Been tearing up the kraut!!! Just watching what I've planted grow and trying to make sure they don't die....lol.

DeepWoods likes this.

Advertisement
  5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Had a glorious Sunday and have spent the whole day in my garden. I edged the lawn, cut the grass, weeded the beds, planted an array of young plants, nicotiana, calendula, verbena, sea lavender, iris and planted some monster Crinum bulbs. I pruned, staked and tidied and snowed more seeds for the allotment including sweet corn, beans and peas. I am knackered and sun kissed now and we are off out with chums for a curry and I can’t wait!

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Margie, if you have rosemary, cut some stems and place them in your tomato plants. Deer don't like the scent of rosemary. You could also put thorny rose trimmings in with the tomatoes, but that makes it very interesting for you while harvesting!
    Glad a set back or two doesn't deter you--you are a true gardener!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. kate

kate In Flower

Watered it. potted up a small Peris which was very unhappy where it was. Other than that I sat in my garden chair looking at the front garden listening to music in the hot sunshine.
    K

8. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

Well things are ramping up here in SE Wisconsin. I spent all weekend laying down pavers in my new vegetable garden. Got that all done now all that's needed is a topper of compost, peat and the landscape fabric and i'm all set for seeding. IMG_20180506_193806-1200x2133.jpg

Cayuga Morning, Odif and Frank like this.
  9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Well today, the puppy had dug under the garden fence and went into the tomato house and dug. He ate a lot of pots and broke 4 tomatoes, I replaced them. I had to harvest a lettuce that the dog had squashed.

10. samuraisuki

samuraisuki New Seed

Aw, Odif I feel you. I have two German Shepards and the one blind one occasionally steps right on my flowers on her way to make a potty. And sometimes on really hot days, she'll try to dig up the boxes and lay in the cool soil. It's so hard to catch her before she gets into them! The good news is that tomatoes can't hurt dogs, though.

Today, I woke up early to get a head start on gardening. It was so hot that I put on a bathing suit to do my garden chores lol. I restained the left porch box, added some sand underneath tiles that were uneven, planted some sweet alyssum seeds and sprayed all my seedlings with hydrogen peroxide to keep fungal diseases at bay. It doesn't seem like much but when I was done it was practically 6pm!

Odif likes this.
  11. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

thank you all for your replys and thank you for the one about the rosemary i will surely tr,y this, should i buy fresh or dried.. thank you all margie

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

This week I am working in the back garden. Lots of empty pots to pick up and recycle, found a root waterer we have been looking for (it was hiding in a shady nook, must have gotten to hot for it out there), got new compost and plants in the 4 old wheelbarrows back there, found two sea oat plants hiding from me (actually I just set them down last year, forgot to plant them and found them today).
    The Dallas Red and New Gold Lantana are beginning to bloom, so is the Husker Red Penstemon, the Asiatic Lily buds are getting huge.
    Assorted seeds have germinated and are growing well....looking forward to the blooms so I can remember what I planted where. I had put the empty seed packets in the pots with them but the really heavy wind and rain storms we had last week sent them flying. So my back garden is going to be full of surprises for me in while.

DeepWoods likes this.
  13. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

Mulch done, trellis done. Ready to turn it green!!!
    IMG_20180512_200322-1600x900.jpg IMG_20180512_200337-1600x900.jpg

Cayuga Morning, Odif and Sjoerd like this.
  14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

watered watered and watered the hanging baskets and flats today. nothing really new. the lg high tunnel is almost filled and many weeds have been tilled and scuffled away in there since it has not been suitable to work outside much. as soon as it dries up enough to work outside... it rains. I have 2 100' rows of tomatoes planted in there, 1 50' double row of peppers a huge patch of lettuce that volunteered from last year a 50' row of lettuce I planed a 50' row of broccoli and cabbage and a 50' row of zucchinis. this week I started selling plants. I will be so thankful to finally not be watering so many.
    a few of the hanging baskets and the beautiful redbud just now in bloom.
    100_2727.JPG
    100_2711.JPG 100_2719.JPG

15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I have been planting out potatoes and tomatoes and lettuces. I am making tomato cuttings for the next couple of weeks. Then I will stop. Last year, I made tomato cuttings and I saw that the tomatoes were all giant on the cuttings, so this year I will try a hundred or more cuttings.