What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh my DeepWoods! Can your friends & family even recognize you?

I had a very productive day in the garden, finally! We've had house guests for the past several days & prior to that my husband was in the hospital for a week (he is fine, scheduled surgery). So between visiting my husband at the hospital & then entertaining relatives I was rushed off my feet.

The vegie garden got a bit ahead of me, but things are coming up nicely: peas, lettuce, bok choi, arugula, strawberries, ASPARAGUS!!!, potatoes, leeks, Swiss chard, ksle, etc.
    We've had 8 dinners of asparagus.

This afternoon I also had some time to weed the garden at home & get my herbs in pots on the back stoop.

Want to see what I've found so far this year in the home garden? IMG_20180523_172026.jpg

Our son spent hours as a boy playing with his friends with various plastic critters...hours upon hours. Every summer I find another 3 or more in the garden beds. Brings back happy memories for me.

Here are some more shots of the home garden. A lot is coming into bloom, but you can also tell that I need to do loads more weeding & thinning out.
    IMG_20180523_172430.jpg IMG_20180523_172407.jpg
    IMG_20180523_172220.jpg
    IMG_20180523_172155.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

That bamboo trellis is great! I don't have bamboo, but I do have lots of cedar, and I think that with a bit of work and frequently looking at your post, I can do a couple of natural looking trellises!
    I keep finding matchbook cars from the previous owner's children. "Pick up your toys" obviously wasn't one of the parental mandates!

3. Cayuga Morning

MG I always thought it was one of mine, but clearly I wasn't so effective.
    BTW, I just use zip ties to make trellises.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Ouch that looks painful!

Advertisement
  5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I just ordered 35 bags of mulch at the local garden center.... For PICK-UP! In my CAR! lol. Should be fun.

carolyn likes this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think you may need to make a couple of trips? unless you have a really big car?

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Got some plants in the ground and did a clean up in the backyard. I have three mounding Mexican Petunias to get in the ground tomorrow morning then my planting will be over until sometime in the fall. Our temps are very likely to start hitting the 100 deg range this coming weekend and even if it isn't that hot, it will be too hot to put in new plants without causing them a lot of stress. Unless I plant Cacti and that might come to be the plant of choice with the heat coming earlier each year and the rain becoming less and less a happening thing.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Yeah, that didn't work out Carolyn.... but on Tuesday when I get back in town, I'll use the garden center truck to bring it to my house. I must have been dreaming this morning
    when I thought of using my car.....

Cayuga Morning and carolyn like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

daisyb's, wouldn't it be cheaper to have a truck load delivered?

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Today was onion day! As if the barn wasn't fragrant enough with the drying garlic and the hens, I pulled onions and have them hanging to dry. "Heady aroma" doesn't begin to describe it!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. 2nd Floor Garden

2nd Floor Garden New Seed

Fertilized with a little weakened Miracle Gro, some Bone Meal, Espom salts and a 5-5-5 granular blend.

Sowed some onions.

12. Cayuga Morning

Yesterday was my daughter's birthday. We spent it together going apartment hunting. Nice dsy.

In the morning though, I had time to pot up the herbs and dahlias that inhabit our back stoop for the summer. My husband has become a great cook....he makes liberal use of fresh herbs. It is a lot cheaper to grow them than buy them. Plus it gives me an excuse to grow more plants!
    IMG_20180527_065408.jpg IMG_20180527_065318.jpg IMG_20180527_065440.jpg

UnfortunatEly I have a lot more to plant still. These are perennials needing homes somewhere. IMG_20180527_065510.jpg

And more! Although most of these I will be giving away: IMG_20180527_065519.jpg

Finally, these are butternut squash, I think. I found them growing in the compost pile. I'll plant them in the community garden. I may be surprised later on the season to discover I have planted cucumbers! IMG_20180527_065550.jpg

DeepWoods and marlingardener like this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

cuke and squash have different smells. cukes smell fresh and clean and squash not quite do... maybe a little less fragrant and a bit "musty"? nor do they look like cukes to me.... at least not the ones I grow. They do look more like squash leaves.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Cayuga--I really enjoyed seeing you piccies of your home garden. I especially liked the variety of plants that you have. The Forget-me-nots stole my heart, though.

15. Cayuga Morning

Carolyn, thank you. I will do a sniff test when the rain clears here.

Sjoerd, thank you! Yes forget me nots are indeed unforgettable!

I hope to do more this year cleaning up the gardens.

Sjoerd likes this.