What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Wow Deep Woods...that's a lot of honey..wish i was there to see and taste! Sorry about your war wounds though.

DeepWoods likes this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I got the last of my plants in the ground this morning, moved a patch of Liatris and found that the pot of Datura had reseeded quite well and I had to find a new home for at least 10 of the seedlings and there will be more as the ones still in the original pot get larger. I think those will get moved to the backyard when needed.
    It was 80, breezeless and very humid so the hour I spent was more than enough to make life miserable. Right now at 2 p.m. it is 92 but feels like 99.
    Boy are we enjoying the new central air conditioning system today.

DeepWoods and Cayuga Morning like this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So glad you got central air Toni. Seems like it is essential now where you live.
    BTW, we had a cold day today...55 degrees F!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh we have had central AC for years, this house had it when we bought it 31 years ago, life is not viable without it down here. The first unit that came in the house when we bought it in 1987, had to be replaced in 1997 , that 21 year old replacement unit was the one that went out a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully just before the temps started hitting the 95+ range with a heat index of over 100.
    I think I have mentioned that I hate summer.

Last edited: May 28, 2018

Advertisement
  5. 2nd Floor Garden

2nd Floor Garden New Seed

Planted a jalapeno

hummerbum likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We've been weeding in this heat...and giving water like mad.
    This morning we went out to the lottie to water the strawbs and to add straw to the second bed that are now forming fruits. By 09.30 the perspiration was dripping off our faces, so we packed it in and headed back home to cool off.

We have bought some flowering plants to plant in the newly-cleaned plots in the flower garden. We planted those and watered them in well. We got some begonia's for the balcony.

hummerbum likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

today it is sweltering hot but we already got the garden tilled and plastic laid to plant through. hip hip hooray! the tunnel is up and growing well. I see little tomatoes already forming. peppers are in bloom lettuce is probably getting bitter now. sigh. I see zucchinis starting to bloom and there are already cucumber beetles. *sigh*!

hummerbum likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Went out early this morning to do a bit of lottie work.
    We weeded and watered the strawbs heavily and then tucked some straw under that past couple of rows of the late producers. By then the perspiration was dripping steadily off our chins and noses, so we came home. It is much cooler here. Whew!!

hummerbum likes this.
  9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Been moving and painting and decorating and planting and weeding and strimming and digging and harvesting. So much work and so little time. A big shout to Olivier and Antun who are helping us every day without any pay. Antun is a professional painter and Olivier is a jack of all trades. Luckily we have been getting really good rains so there is no wasting time watering.

hummerbum likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it is 7:36 am and the air conditioner is already running... another sweltering day coming right up. so, I gotta get outside while it is tolerable... tootles. everyone have a good day.

hummerbum likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Today is a day off from gardening. Not that there's nothing that needs doing, but my back is too sore for me to bend over much. Yesterday we picked up the remaining potatoes and cultivated the ex-potato spot. No nematodes this year! I also harvested herbs to hang to dry or to chop and freeze, and made an Italian potato salad with some of our little new potatoes.
    Carolyn, by the time I got back to the house yesterday at 9:30 a.m., I was sweating like a horse! I'm glad you can get up and get outside work done before the heat hits.
    Odif, if you have all that great help, you must be a fine fellow that people are happy to be around. Olivier and Antun sound like the kind of friends that are friends indeed!

hummerbum and Odif like this.
  12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

its 11:49 and I just came back in from watering plants and planting up tomatoes in the garden. we sprayed the plants with and antitranspirant before planting... hopefully this will keep them from wilting down in this heat... but we need to get them in the ground. peppers and melons are awaiting us for this afternoon. I am wet with sweat. it is 98 in the high tunnel already.

hummerbum and Cayuga Morning like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Strawbs harvested---

zippo9bbb.jpg

Jewell, hummerbum, Frank and 4 others like this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I spent the day weeding and thinning out my perennial beds. Things look much better. Plants do have tendency to grow and GROW! IMG_20180530_165155.jpg IMG_20180530_165342.jpg IMG_20180530_165505.jpg IMG_20180530_165054.jpg

I also put together a little mini greenhouse to hold seedlings & divisions until they have settied in and are ready for planting. I am very pleased with this. I hope it won't get knocked down by the wind IMG_20180530_165402.jpg IMG_20180530_165351.jpg

hummerbum and DeepWoods like this.
  15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

So yesterday as I was carrying a heavy piece of furniture up the stairs, my phone rings and so we make a pause. It was bucketing down with rain. The lady at the other end of the phone asks me if I am coming to plant her beans right now. I said no, I am busy. So she slammed the phone down on me.