What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

whats a little rain while trying to plant beans?:chuckle::snicker::smt005:smt044:smt043:rofl::smt082. It was sprinkling here we kept right on planting. I was wetter from sweat than the rain, but it sure didn't help my aroma any.we did get 1/2 the tomatoes planted, 1/3 of the zucchinis and 1/3 of the melons in. I still have a quite a bit to get done but it was a good day.

hummerbum likes this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh dear Odif, that woman was incredibly rude!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    carolyn likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Super posting Cayuga. The pics that you are showing here demonstrate the positive side of living in a stand-alone house instead of an apartment like me. It is honestly gorgeous. Your plant choices, the greenness and the landscaping there. You must be tremendously proud.
    The hosta's, the yellow and purple irides and that nice, little green tent.--It is just the right size for your purposes, isn't it. I honestly could not garden properly without a a greenhouse. Judging from the size of what you have shown, I would say that you must spend quite some time keeping it all up.

This morning, I went out to the lottie because the toms and paps in our greenhouse needed watering. It was an inferno in that little greenhouse. The outside temp was high and the humidity was too much, so we had a short trip, and headed back home. We stopped by the garden centre across from our lottie complex to get a couple of hedera plants to go in our balcony boxes along with the begonia's. It now looks fairly decent. It has promise.
    zippo9bb.jpg

There is also some vinca from last year in there. It didn't do so well.
    Here are the last of the brassica's hardening-off. They are Calabresi. You can also see a lone
    Rozemarijn in there for cooking. We will keep it here.
    9bbb.jpg

It is raining like mad here with thunder and lightening. It is getting cooler, thank goodness.

hummerbum, Frank and DeepWoods like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Thank you so much for your comments SJ. My gardens are a lot to keep up & I am toying with the idea of gradually replacing some if the perennials with shrubs.

You have really had a go with heat & humidity haven't you?! Unusually so?

Your flower boxes are are beautiful. I love the combo of red/green/white.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My adventure in the outside world was putting out peanuts and seeds for the birds and squirrels and returning the trash and recycle barrels to their appropriate homes behind the fence next to the driveway.
    Tomorrow I will be out watering and wishing the plants well. But as far as 'gardening' goes, they are on their own for a few months.

6. Cayuga Morning

I plan to call I young woman i know in town today and make a time for her to come & pick up perennials from my garden. I have been potting up some of the overflow for her. She has a new home, bereft of plantings, so it is a clean slate. I am hoping she'll want a chunk of what I have do I can clear out "the nursery".

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. 2nd Floor Garden

2nd Floor Garden New Seed

Nothing! Thunderstorming all day long :sulk:

8. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Been picking bugs, adding some more hay around some spots that were composted down and thin, picked a couple of squash and cucumbers the past couple of days......
    05312018_1.jpg

05312018_2.jpg

05312018_3.jpg

05312018_4.jpg

Jewell, Odif, hummerbum and 3 others like this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Lovely produce. We just planted our cucumbers yesterday. My dear husband worked diligently all day to get the cucumber house screened and driptape laid and the plants in. getting it ready was sooooo much more work than the actual planting.

and patty pans... oh yum. just beautiful.

just a quick observation though... maybe it is just the photo... but is your row cover off the ground? if it is get some more bricks and weight it to the ground or actually trench it into the soil. bugs will get under the cloth if it is above the dirt anywhere.

10. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Thanks..the row cover is intentionally off of the ground...it is there to provide shade for spinach, broccoli, and lettuce, etc..... I've been doing it like that for several years now and have found that I have less trouble with the plants bolting on me..(longer harvest with less succession planting).

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ahh. I was only thinking of pest damage.

hummerbum likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Deepwoods....lettuce & spinach don't bolt so quickly with a row cover? More shade? And here I just removed the row cover from my lettuces!

Yesterday I got the beets & carrots finally in. I keep adding organic material but my soil in the community garden stills seems hard as a rock. I'll try composting hay on top.

I did harvest some nice fat heads of lettuse and bok choi!

13. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

In my experience so far, if the row cover is just used for shade and left up off the ground 12-18 inches or so for air to circulate, I do get more pickings before bolting from my lettuce, spinach etc. than with out the shade of the cloth.

Build the soil by just layering the organic material on top, not mixing it with the existing dirt.
    Look around you in nature, each fall it adds a new layer of leaves, dead grasses, weeds and debris on top of the existing soil, never turning, plowing, tilling or mixing....and you know that soil in the forest underneath the leaves is rich and beautiful compost just by nature doing that. Look up lasagna gardening too for some ideas that will help.
    This video about "no dig" will help with some of your questions...

Congrats on your harvest.

Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Odif, don't you realize that the lady is SO much more important than you (at least in her mind)? We have had people order honey to be delivered, they were not home, no money=no honey. Then they call and berate us for not leaving the honey and "trusting" them to pay.
    Cross that woman off your list. Believe me, we have been there and done that and a customer/client with that attitude is not worth having!

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

what variety of cukes are those? they look familiar....Dasher?

watered plants, moved hanging baskets out to the racks and I am almost finished with those. hip hip hooray! planted 70 tomatoes, weeded with my amish rototiller and thinned apples til dark. I am tired... again.

Cayuga Morning likes this.