What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We harvested beans and Swiss chard then put it up.
    Pshew!!! It is hot here.

DeepWoods likes this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I roped up the asparagus. We've had 2 hard rains that knocked the stalks sideways.

I also planted more arugula, harvested lettuce, peas, Swiss chard. I removed suckers from the tomatoes, put a row cover on the kale & bok choi to foil cabbage worms.

I was totally soaked when done. Temps here are in the 90's (32+ Celcius).
    We have a pool at home & I jumped right in!

DeepWoods, marlingardener and carolyn like this.
  3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I spent 6 hrs watering yesterday. Hopefully the weather prediction for rain today is accurate.

4. Cayuga Morning

I hope so

Advertisement
  5. kate

kate In Flower

Lol

Oh Sjoerd, you never did. :smt043

K

I planted two conifers, just baby ones

Sjoerd, Odif and Cayuga Morning like this.
  6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I transplanted onions and planted beans. I watered loads and I harvested bea potatoes they have completely died back now. I also harvested carrots, beetroots courgettes and lettuces as well as strawberries and raspberries. I also weeded and fed the tomatoes.

DeepWoods likes this.
  7. Ammi

Ammi New Seed

I watered the seedlings, but it hasn’t stopped raining here for a week now, so the garden bed is set. I continued my battle against black spot on my rescue rose. And I planted three more Nasturtiums by the first section of my veggies.

DeepWoods and Odif like this.
  8. Odif

Odif Young Pine

IMG_0416.JPG I admired my first dahlia flower.

DeepWoods, Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

@Odif I am admiring it too. My first dahlia flower is due to bloom today.

Yesterday I watered my community garden after work for an hour. Temps in the low 90's (33+ C). I thought I was going to die. We have no hose system, all water must be hand pumped can carried to our individual plots. It is supposed to rain today. I sure hope it does.

DeepWoods and hummerbum like this.
  10. Ammi

Ammi New Seed

@Odif - that’s beautiful!

DeepWoods likes this.
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

that is a beauty Odif.

it rained here last night... 1 1/2 " we really needed it. the farm fields were really dry. the corn has been rolled for at least two weeks now.... my beans that we planted last week popped out of the ground overnight. they were not there yesterday.
    I planted up the last of the cantaloupe plants and watermelon plants then finished out the rows (about 100') with seeds. Strimmed ( iow...weed -eated, I like Sjoerds word for weed eater trimming so I am going to start using it... if I can remember!) weeds around the hightunnel and through out the garden where weeding nor mowing was happening.spread beneficial insectary blend seeds here and there for the beneficial insects.
    pulled the lettuce and composted it
    brought my mother in law home from the hospital in the midst of getting this stuff done...then I made them dinner and walked it over to them. this getting old stuff... it sucks lemons big time. this is not looking like any fun. I refuse medicine or devices to keep me alive. My grandma was pretty good until she broke her hip at 92. I wished for her to pass away quickly as she was in terrible pain and it wasn't healing and her bones were too fragile for surgery... she always said, "you gotta be a tough old bird to get old." uh huh!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    DeepWoods, Cayuga Morning and Odif like this.
  12. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

That dahlia is beautiful! Is that the dinner plate type? I have a couple of the smaller annuals.

13. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

Quite a bit going on in the garden. The wall o' beans is coming along nicely. Some of my cherry tomatoes are starting to produce. It seems that my growing season is alittle bit delayed due to living on lake Michigan. In the spring it stays cool longer and in the fall it stays alittle warmer due to the warm lake as an insulater. Sunflowers are up to my shoulders which is pretty cool. My neighbor that grows hot peppers brought over a bunch of plants that he didn't have room for. I'm not completely sure what they all are. Should be fun to see what grows. I've potted up lots of flowers. Been balm, dahlias, dragon wing begonias. The petunias in my hanging baskets are filling out well. Question... I have quite a few perrenials in pots. How do I deal with them at the end of the season?

DeepWoods and Cayuga Morning like this.
  14. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Since I don't have cucs yet...i went over to the grands container garden to stake the cucs. They were so excited to see the massive progress and flowers on the cucs!! (Will send their pics when i get home) I also preserved cucs and garlic. 20180707_174035.jpg

Cayuga Morning and DeepWoods like this.
  15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I worked 10 hours watering weeding digging planting and harvesting. I got my first broccoli heads. This one weighed in at 380 grams. IMG_0438.JPG

DeepWoods, Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.