What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

We will start harvesting potatoes this evening. With the extremely hot weather we have had this summer, lack of rain and bugs our main garden is toast. Too early for potatoes so they will be small. Peas, beans,squash and cucumbers and tomatoes same story. We have a smaller garden also and the potatoes are doing okay so far. Really bug attacked, but thriving. Second year in a row with not much yield. Seriously thinking about not planting next year. :(

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That's a bummer Chrisle! A garden is a crapshoot every year. This year the birds have destroyed 3 patches of our corn the white fly just doesn't stop, the cucumber beetles are ferocious again this year. And it has hardly rained all summer .I run water everyday almost.

3. kate

kate In Flower

Not been in the garden for a few days, currently nursing a very sore knee that needs surgery for a new knee. Three sleepless nights does’t help. I was gardening and putting in new plants, moving odd ones that were too near it’s neighbour.

Yesterday I bought what I hope will become a massive Zantedeschia 'White Giant' .

K

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have done pretty much nothing in the garden since about mid-April...summer arrived two months earlier than normal and the rain went away. We have had some rain but it is still too hot for me to be out there so I have been making plans for how to rework a couple of areas that I didn't think about last Spring. Some beds will be dug up, re-soiled and fed then plants put back but in different places.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Planted up more herb gardens and watered the plants. thats it.

6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Everyday is sweeping the back garden as the birds love making a mess of our pea gravel and bird baths re-filled daily.

7. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I've done nothing today as bird baths was ok and we've had nothing but rain constant.

8. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

Watered this am in anticipation of 95° heat. Did a bit of pruning on my tomatoes also. Normally I water with about 2 hours of daylight left each evening, but I have stretched out watering times from 24 to 36 hours.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  9. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

We've had some hot weather here in the uk way to hot but now it's cooling but my plants was being done regular every two days either by hose pipe or sprinkler :)

10. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

Just picked my first habanero peppers of the season! It's only 2 but at least 20 more are ripening as I type. 20180902_104030.jpg

Sorry for the poor pic quality. My phone takes bad pics...

Gail-Steman and Odif like this.
  11. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Your pic's ok mate as I can see it and I wear spec's ;)….we've always got peppers here as my hubby loves them but they hate me, they do make me bad :(

12. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

Picked up a bunch of seedlings! Very young and not even close to ready for transplanting.

I have 24 beets, 12 collards, 6 romanescu broccoli, 6 flat head cabbage and 4 giant radish.

While the plants mature I will have time to prepare the soil and containers to use.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  13. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

I was putting my fall garden seedlings outside on my deck this am which I have done this week in order to 'harden' them for permanent transplantation in a week or two. I noticed one of my two six packs of collards was looking very weak and laying over on the soil. I watered a bit and hope to pull them thru but am preparing for the worst. All the others look pretty strong though.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  14. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hopefully with your care they'll pick up :like:

Catdaddy6676 likes this.
  15. kate

kate In Flower

Done nothing today, only had two hours sleep, wide awake after two hours. So struggles from 1am till 6am, should have got up.

Too wacked to go for a paper let alone garden.
    K

Gail-Steman likes this.