What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

I just counted 6(!) pak choi seedlings breaking out!! That took 5-6 days only. Ok, now I can do about 2 dozen more.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

not much in the garden. I had a farmers market today and this evening I made Peach jam..

3. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

Just potted most of my fall garden with some cabbage, broccoli, radishes and pak choi. Already had the pots ready so it was a snap!

Now the task is keeping my cats from using the pot as a litter box.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Catdaddy, if you have any thorny plant, cut some stems and place them in the pots. Cats hate to get their cute little paws pricked. This saved several of my herb plants that the kittens just loved!

Catdaddy6676 likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

Great idea, marlingardener! I do have some close by...

6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I've never tried seedlings before but brought the square containers, as my ponytail grasses on the front garden as done new shootings along the edge and they pull out with new shoots...so i'm giving it a go :fingerscrossed:

Catdaddy6676 likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am sat here reflecting over the past few days. It has been raining steadily all day today. We turned on the Yamaha radio streamer and cleaned house, read and answered e-mails.
    Now to what has been going on over at the lottie:

Clean-up, clean-up clean-up. This is one of the busiest periods over at our allotment complex.
    The green manure is coming up and another bed is ready to be lifted and laid on the soil as a mulch. One bed has been cleaned and a thick layer of comfrey leaves and stems has been laid on it.
    The net came off the sprouts and the plants were cleaned-up a bit, some leaves were removed....annnnnd one meal has been eaten already.
    There are still beans growing but it is time to remove the wigwams and schoffel the surface, making that bed winter-ready.
    I tied-in some wisteria...but more will have to be done later.
    Turned the compost.
    Pruned the laurel and a plum tree.

As soon as the rain stops, we will be off to the lottie and heavier jobs will be taken on.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Sjoerd...you make me tired just reading your post...I moved some plants last week and now we have to fill in the holes but the mosquitoes have been so bad we are keep putting it off. We do have plants to pull and get rid of, all of the annuals that I planted. Hopefully it will be windy this week and we can get things finished .

9. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well i went out on the front garden yesterday, removed dead rose heads besides hydrangea heads and swept dead leaves up on the gravel what the winds had brought with it, so the fronts sorted till more come :shrug:

10. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I went out the back today as we was blessed with some warmth and sun..cleaned up gave the birds fresh water and the garden furniture was covered with hubbies help.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yesterday and today have been pretty good gardening weather days so I now have more plants in the sun bed next to the driveway.....Black and Blue Salvia, Gaillardia, Echinacea, Asters, and I moved two Montauk Daisys from not comfy places to new homes that will be more comfy for them.

Tomorrow evening I go shopping for more plants for that bed....it is bigger than I thought.

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I shopped for more plants yesterday....not really a surprise tho is it? I found a Galphimia gracilis (Thryallis, Slender Goldshower, Shower of Gold) and 5 Carex phyllocephala 'Sparkler'.
    The first is in the sun bed I have been working on and the Carex are around around the large Pecan tree in the north shade bed.
    All the recently bought plants are in the ground so it's back to the garden center this afternoon. I need a couple of flats of somethings to fill in two large swaths of empty space in the sun bed.

It feels so good to be back out in the garden, the last 5 months have been really hard on my attitude and on Randy having to hear my attitude. :eek:

Next we put some decorative fencing in the hellstrip and then I start planting there.....more flats of whatever I can find. Already some Iris and Rock Rose but a lot of empty area that looks ugly.

13. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

Most of my seedlings didn't make it though a few survived. I was out and about today so I decided to pick up a half dozen each of brussel sprouts and cabbage, plus some sweet basil and fern leaf dill. They have been transplanted successfully and look pretty good against a backdrop of black soil!

Gail-Steman likes this.
  14. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I shall be heading out side later more leaf collecting to be done as winds got up again last night.
    @Catdaddy6676 sorry to hear you lost some seeds.

Catdaddy6676 likes this.
  15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Picked raspberries, gave a chicken a bath, put all my produce out on the stand... Off to the hospital. Wish I could clean up the garden but family is more important than dead plants.

Odif, Gail-Steman and Catdaddy6676 like this.