What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Gail. I think that lots of folks have the Lonicera. There are many sorts and many fragrances. I have several in the garden.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I didn't know they carried fragrance...come next year a few plants will be replaced again :rolleyes:...you've mentioned this plant and others have been mentioned on here that have took my fancy but before I go to the garden centre's I write the plants names down, started doing that last year and I use my hubbies eyes save carrying my spec's :chuckle:

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

I finally culled the last 3 tomato plants today. Expecting our first freeze with temps of 29° tonight. All of my pepper plants are inside though. Most of my cabbage and brussel sprouts are doing well.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  4. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Nice to hear your cabbage besides sprouts are doing well...I love sprouts but done medium Yummy ;)

Catdaddy6676 likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

As far as the Lonicera is concerned...I can suggest a couple of different sorts for, you should you ever decide to act on your wishes.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well sjoerd I know I shall be buying again come next year and some plants need replacing that failed me this year and when I do i'll ask the best ones and hope the garden centres I go to have them :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In the garden? It is as cold as a well diggers back pocket out there today....39 deg F and the wind chill makes it feel like 30 deg F.
    I go out to put out in the morning to put food for the birds and squirrels, then in the evening I put out food for the passel of possums living in our backyard who come around to the front yard to finish what the birds and squirrels don't eat. My backyard is a wild and wonderful place for critters. And we get the pleasure of watching a family unit of possums climb up on the fence shelf across from the living room window to eat the peanut/cat food/smashed hard boiled eggs/peanut butter combo meal I have in a container out there for them. Two large grandparents, two parent sized ones, a couple of first year kiddos and a small one who appears to be a late in the breeding season surprise baby. None of them eat everything, just what they need then they disappear and let the next part of the family have their turn.

We live in the city and all of our neighbors have homogenized backyards...I really do not like being homogenized like everyone else, so I have critters that the neighbors would scream for an exterminator to come take care of. Wimps!!

Gail-Steman likes this.
  8. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

It sounds wonderful toni watching different animals feeding from your ground plus your getting the enjoyment of viewing it :like:

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Righty-ho, Gail. Talk toya again when it's time.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Spent a couple of hours cleaning out the tomato/pepper patch. The hard freeze we had earlier this week killed the plants. Fortunately we had warning it was coming, so we picked all the tomatoes and peppers, no matter what size. Green tomatoes are ripening on the laundry room table, and the peppers are in the fridge.
    Our garlic is up, and I need to weed it! Why are weeds so persistent?

Gail-Steman and carolyn like this.
  11. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

Grrrrrrrrr... Cats knocked over one of my garlic pots! The bulbs were glorious in there shoots and roots, but the bulbs hadn't grown out all. Two minutes and it was repaired, but... Grrrrrrrrr.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Made elderberry jelly yesterday and today. I made 7 quarts of juice that i had made when the berries were ripe into jelly. 60 1/2 pints of jelly. lots to take to the markets.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

A large very black bear felled our bird feeder pole last night. Bent the thing 90 degrees and then began munching. We heard the crash of all 6 feeders coming down, and peered out our back slider at this giant bear.

Then my husband takes it in his head to try to frighten the thing away. He did succeed but one does wonder about the wisdom of this. He picked up the pole and began yelling at the bear.

We need a better plan.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh dear Oh dear.... We have no bears here and do not envy you them. be safe. and take down the feeders until Dec? I would have thought they were hibernating by now?

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, tell your dear husband that bird feeders and poles are not as valuable as he. If he won't listen and persists in trying to frighten a large bear, take out a large insurance policy on him.
    Thank heavens all we have to worry about is raccoons, which is sufficient :smt019.

carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.