What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Odif that lettuce is gorgeous! well done.

Working in the greenhouses yet. the Hightunnel was left as it was and needs cleaning. that and the cleaning outside commences. it was a terrible Fall last year, nothing was accomplished in the garden to cleanit up.

the weather went from the high 80's to Winter cold and wet. and medical emergencies spread throughout the family made it difficult to get stuff done too.... now onto Spring.

hummerbum and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The predicted rain yesterday didn't show up, so I spent a morning watering the on-coming vegetables. I had lots of help from two of the cats--watering cans are so very interesting!
    I got the transplants of herbs into a tray and carried them out to the garden table to start hardening off. With luck, they will go into the gardens at the end of this week.

3. Lilthisnthat

Lilthisnthat Seedling

Been cleaning all the raised beds and weeding around the grapevines in the field..have a few in tubs 21a564525d1573c2c02aa837b91bd30b.jpg ..but clearing the winter weeds from around the Swenson grapes in the field can be pretty exhausting but so worth it, watching all the young buds opening.

hummerbum and carolyn like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Nice photo Deana. Made me smile. I guess that means I am hungry for spring!

I am envious of you all getting seeds in the ground. We still have snow.

I did have a potluck at our house tonight for the community garden. 13 people came out of 15, so a pretty good turnout. We got a lot accomplished re plans for the garden this coming season. And we ate well too!

Lilthisnthat and hummerbum like this.

Advertisement
  5. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Wow, everyone is busy readying themselves for the growing season...not like you @marlingardener to wait so long. I'm trying to harden off my babies little by little...the days have been gorgeous, but the nights here have been hovering around low 40s, except for last night. However, I did put 2 squash plants in my new bed to see how they would do, they are starting to bud in the shed. @Cayuga that was a nice thing to do for the community garden. @toni, I think i have the weed seeds..oops!!! @Odif, you have been busy and your lettuce is wonderful...the whole plot is nice. @Deana Tankersley ...isn't it nice to see buds everywhere? @carolyn, you always pass us in the end...lol.

6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I'm so sore from the bending...extended the flower/garden bed into another section...one more to go on that side of the house. Stuck more plants in the beds, cut more grass in the side yard and back (all mulch is back in my garden bed). Making the neighbors crazy/jealous, so they work on their yards also...;) My husband said that he's never seen so many bags. They can't stand to see me in the yard. They don't know that I'm not competing with them, but that I've been waiting for this my entire adult life:snicker: making progress.jpg Don't know why the pic is so distorted.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

@hummerbum... I don't think I could do this much without a goal in mind. this is income for me. I sell most all of what I grow. I was dragging my feet this past year as I had accomplished the things on my task list of things I wanted remodeled. I had enough money to redo my floors until last week. we spent it on a piece of property far far away from here so we can go somewhere without snow during the Winter. now... I have another goal in mind. the property needs a dwelling of some type. well, now I need to save up enough to do my floors in this house since after the remodeling project a couple years ago made holes where I had none and they are patched with left over pieces from when it was laid but it was terrible vinyl when we bought it so I won't be sad to get that torn up and replaced. our weather makes for a nice growing climate.

Cayuga Morning and hummerbum like this.
  8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

9. Lilthisnthat

Lilthisnthat Seedling

Resized952019032395153154.jpg Happy day to you green,crafty, or just happy in the moment..thanks for your pleasant responses. Life can be such a blessing. Wishing all a wonderful week.

hummerbum likes this.
  10. Lilthisnthat

Lilthisnthat Seedling

Happy day to you @Cayuga and @hummerbum So nice to meet you.

Attached Files:

11. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

Saw my bok choy has begun sprouting! It always comes up quickly. Pretty soon (this weekend?) I will need to transplant them to individual 2" pots.

Yay

Lilthisnthat likes this.
  12. nitram

nitram Seedling

Today i put some mesh on a fence that i made a few weeks ago, i will be covering this fence with climbers.
    DSC_0015.JPG sdsdss.PNG

Attached Files:

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You are so smart to stagger the planks to allow air flow. So many people put climbing vines against a solid fence, and wonder why they have so many problems. Plants, like us, need air and air flow prevents all sorts of problems and diseases.
    Please let us know how your climbers do, and what they are.

14. nitram

nitram Seedling

Many thanks but the staggered planks is not my fence the dark brown one is mine that's solid at the top for privacy, there is a gap from the mesh to the horizontal planks so there will be some air flow,

Longer story short last year i ask the neighbor if i could grow some climbers on her fence she said yes that's fine i put a few clematis in and also grew runner beans for privacy she then started complaining :frustrated: so ive built a fence in front of hers she will still get things growing on her fence from mine but i cant do nothing about that, she smokes weed all the time i dont think she knows if shes coming or going half the time,

Runner beans provide a quick privacy fix for the summer month while other things catch up in a few years time.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Odif, hummerbum and Cayuga Morning like this.
  15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

busy day. worked on transplanting an order for a customer. planted up about 12 flats of peppers and tomatoes. after supper I went out to the garden to pick up the ground cover that we never got picked up and folded last Fall. worked at that until dark. it is almost done. a few more pieces to pick up yet. and all the black plastic mulch from the tomatoes, pepper and melons. gone.

Lilthisnthat and Catdaddy6676 like this.