What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sowed some seeds, this one was free when i put it a order for the seeds that i wanted.
    20200207_132318.jpg This one is for the hanging baskets.
    20200207_182422.jpg It's a perennial really but I use it as a annual, can over winter in the gh if i wanted more plants.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

It has been very windy and our mimosa in the big tub did blow over, but wasn't damaged, as they are very "whippy."

This one, taken last year, that tub is very heavy. It's 50cms in diameter. Fortunately the many ceramic pots on their pot movers weren't blown over, as they break very easily.

[​IMG]

In very high winds I do feel a bit concerned for our tea-house.

A third of the underside of the roof over the veranda is open.

[​IMG]

There would always be the possibility of the wind getting under it.
    Fortunately I had the sense to make it very strong. There's a sturdy box frame in the middle and there are 12 perlins, three at each corner connected to the frame.

[​IMG]

There are also some cross beams. That was just the first coat of paint. It must have had at least ten more in the last 33 years.

[​IMG]

It was capable of supporting the weight of both me and our son when we replaced the felt ten years ago. I weigh 12st, he weighs even more. Try that with a store bought shed.
    I also think the turned up corners have the effect of making the roof a sort of "reverse sail" and the air pressure pushes down on it.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Nothing in the garden for a few days...I had a medical procedure on Friday related to the cancer I had 4 years ago....all clear on that situation. Saturday I spent eating to make up for the previous 48 hours of no food. Today, of course is a bit rainy so no gardening for me. The upcoming week is not going to be warm or dry enough to be outside so I have a lot of time to knit and start sewing together fabric pieces for a quilt and more than enough time to fume and whine about mother nature not liking me anymore.

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's too wet and windy.

Advertisement
  5. Doghouse Riley

At the monent it's dry but rain is expected. My "Wet and Forget" has been delivered, but I need two consecutive dry days to use it on the patio.

I guess I'm looking for things to do.Tomorrow I'll go down to the timber yard and get an off-cut of 1/2" exerior plywood.

I need.... not really, I want to re-make these two decorative circles that hide the two coach bolts that secure the two front beams to either side of each of the support posts of this pergola.
    The originals are rotting away as I used bits of plywood I had in the shed about fifteen years ago which wasn't as durable.

[​IMG]

Cayuga Morning and Logan like this.
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I potted on some chilli seedlings in toilet tubes cut in half.
    20200211_192044.jpg I've done 6 each of Carolina Reaper, Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich, Golden Ghost and Scorpion.

7. Doghouse Riley

Our four clematis arrived from Taylors today. They were very securely packed in a tall cardboard box.

I'm not going to plant them out yet. There's already buds on a couple.

Logan likes this.
  8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Was such a beautiful wknd. My son and 5 year old grandson came over and helped me in the garden. Had to wear little man out...he was acting up in school last week. Made another bed on the shadier side of the house to balance the yard out a bit; finally planted tulips, hyacinths, daffodils; transferred a seriously thorny climbing rose to the spot it was supposed to be in by the porch (by myself)...talking about war wounds.

Logan likes this.
  9. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

This was a nice and productive weekend. Got those 'maters repotted. A really nice gardener on IG sent me a BUNCH of seeds from her seed trade. Needless to say, I am well stocked for the year. Never thought about growing moringa (maybe in a pot), but I guess I will now:headbang:

Logan likes this.
  10. Doghouse Riley

Got the "Wet and Forget" out and sprayed both patios and the path. 5ltrs was justt enough to do the lot.

Also did a bit of weeding and put some iron sulphate on a few patches of moss in the lawn.

Logan likes this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Planted a few pots of crocus and some polyanthus.

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, supposedly today was to finish preparing the potato patch, do more pruning, and rake over the annual flower bed--not.
    Today has such high humidity that nothing is drying out and we have mist in the air, it is overcast, and the wind came up. I came in from seeing to the hens this morning with the bottom of my jeans wet and having been dripped on by the trees. Sometimes the weather makes hash of your best laid plans!

Logan and Cayuga Morning like this.
  13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You make plans and Mother Nature just laughs and laughs and laughs. I have yet to figure out how to get on her good side.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mother Nature wasn't laughing at me today, at least not out loud!
    I cut broccoli side shoots, picked some dandelions to give to the hens (they love dandelions), visited the compost heap to see how much it had dried out--not much, and gave the hens fresh nest box shavings. I think that's it for the day since all the greenery is still wet!

Logan likes this.
  15. Doghouse Riley

Logan likes this.