What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We had a beautiful day today. Snow is all gone!

We had an all day burn pile from 10:00 am until 4:00. A lot of brush to burn up! We are both beat.

I also talked out another garden bed.

Logan, Sjoerd, Doghouse Riley and 2 others like this.
  2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Too cold to do much other than mow the lawn.

I've decided to record through the year all the colour changes in this little acer at the bottom of the garden, there are so many.

It was new to us in 2012 and grew rapidly, so in 2014 it looked like this, a bit like a dog.

[​IMG]

Or as I thought at the time, like the small figure in Monet's "Sunlight Under the Poplars."

[​IMG]

I gave it a drastic prune and have kept it to this shape and size over the years. I gave a slight trim this morning before taking this photo.

[​IMG]

I planted these three azaleas several years ago in attempt to hide this tub. It's still a work in progress.

I couldn't get three the same at the time so the one at the back though similar in colour, flowers later than the other two. Each year I tighten the wires I'm using to make them grow upwards rather than outwards. The advantage of this site is that we can ring the changes in what we put in a big tub here. For the last three years it's been this sambucus. We originally had an almond tree planted in the circle but that inexplicably died after a few years.

[​IMG]

The pink and red quinces are in full bloom though the white one is almost finished.

[​IMG]

The clematis next to this one as are all our others, is doing well.

[​IMG]

Some blossoms on the Stella cherry have come out since yesterday.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  3. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

Hopefully, I will finish the green house and mow the lawn. We've had so much rain that I got the zero turn stuck last time. I have a two acre lawn with a steep sweeping drop down to the back gate. The excess water all drains down there.

4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Weeded strawberries, watered my tunnels, harvested salad greens and planted chard, dill, ruccola and coriander.

Advertisement
  5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Love all the photos. Although I'm a little jealous of those of you who have greens already. I just got seeds in the ground. On the upside,
    I actually went to the stores without a coat.
    I probably shouldn't mention it, but the Corona virus has cramped my style. I'm inclined to hug complete strangers and that is a NoNo now.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Planted two short rows of green beans (bush type). Of course I had lots of help from two cats--rolling around in the soil, putting their little paws around my ankles, and purring, purring, purring!
    Did a bit of weeding and then picked sugar peas. Did you know that a sugar pea dangling from the vine is a cat toy? I can attest that it is . . . .

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am going to remember those recipe's, Jane. Thank you.
    BTW there is a feral lottie cat that roams about.
    "Flour Power"---Good one, mate.

Logan and Growingpains like this.
  8. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Compost On Top Of Compost. All the flower beds in the yard are weeded and spruced up. And more weeding. And walking path stones. Becky discovered some bulbs and clematis and elephant ears I bought and forgot and started planting them. I guess I will go weedwhack the garden so I can till it up tomorrow.

Jewell, Logan, Doghouse Riley and 2 others like this.
  9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Weeded and barked paths. Cleaned and weeded big raspberry patch. With this stay at home stuff I may have my first weed free garden ever....on second thought probably not. Moved a clematis and created a new bed transplanting starts from around the yard into it.

10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, regarding the Feral cat, beware of the fact it may poop in your garden and that can be a danger to you. Read up on that.

Logan, Sjoerd, carolyn and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

E-coli?

Growingpains and Logan like this.
  12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sunday once again found us not at church with the corona virus lock down. so, I piddled in the greenhouse while listening to the service by one of our ministers in an empty church building. how weird would that be for them you think?...
    I watered baskets and flats, planted up a few things started all of my tomato seeds moved all the pepper starts to another house to transplant them up, pinched back a few hanging baskets made a few cuttings from filler materials... had to repair the storm door that the wind ripped apart :eek: so I could close up the one house, transplanted a few lettuce plants... more of the same today.

Growingpains, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I shall do as you suggest GP. I do not know if that cat actually goes into gardens, as most are fenced-in; however, if it really wanted to, it could I think. The cat has the habit of going by the mouse traps under crates that are set along the paths in the summer and robbing the sprung traps. He has plenty to eat and doesn't have to hunt for the rodents himself. Trouble is that if one doesn't peg the traps that rascal take trap and all somewhere to eat.
    BTW--were you referring to the parasite casts that the cat can leave in it's poop?
    Addendum: I did read-up on the subject of cat poo and humans. You must be referring to parasites and toxoplasmosis, right?

Growingpains and Logan like this.
  14. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I did nothing..again...today.

Well.... I took all the records out of my jukeboxes in the tea-house and cleaned them, they get a bit dusty, (despite the fact that the stylus passes over a little brush both to and from its way to a record), particularly those that aren't played that much. I also polished the chrome on the small one.

We've started "spring cleaning" the house. I did the kitchen, I hate that.

"We" keep talking about having the whole house redecorated...again...The present virus situation has put that back, so I'm not complaining. We usually stay at the Premier Inn round the corner when the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen are being done, I find it such a pain.

Logan and Growingpains like this.
  15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd, My dear husband is at a constant battle with the rodents ruining and stealing the strawberries in the strawberry tunnel. he came across a method of dealing with rodents. it uses mouse/rat bait poison so if it doesn't interest you no worries from me but... get 3' pieces of corrugated or such like 3" pipe and put the bait inside of the piece of pipe. Place these "tunnels along fences or wall or already made trails. (I want it long enough to keep the cat from trying to play with the green balls because he is ornery like that mot because 3' is ideal)... it mimics a tunnel and they find and eat themselves to death much quicker.

Logan, Sjoerd and Growingpains like this.