What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I watered all the plants and dug up several burdock plants. I hate those things, especially when they go to seed! They have ginormous burrs on them. Right now, because I haven't waged war on them, thistle is still at the top of my list. But that burdock is running a close second. Hmmm, or maybe creeping Charlie.

Growingpains likes this.
  2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I used my concrete mixer to blend potting soil and fertilizer for 20 grow bag tomatoes. 2 bags per wheelbarrow load. I got to use up all kinds of things hanging around like small bags of perlite and that leafy sphagnum moss used for air layering after its wet in the bucket and just stinking. Cut the grass, weed whacked. Put up a roofed trellis for the cucumbers, pruned some tomatoes, put up a florida weave for a row of tomato, blew leaves and the mess from mowing the lawn.

Growingpains and Odif like this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@Kay glad to see you back on the Stew!!

Growingpains, Kay and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I readied a patch for maize and one for beans, made piles of compost and hilled and mulched potatoes. I gave wood ash to beetroot and beans. I will go back in a few minutes, the sun is actually out although there are still lots of clouds. We had 32 mms of rain yesterday and there were a few drops this morning. We have been lighting our wood burner again the last few days.

a couple of pics from the garden today. I have a lot of plants going to seed.

ED8BA700-C196-4D96-9EAC-54051EF59EA5.jpeg

EA396934-04F7-4E29-9AD7-924D46152339.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CAYU--I can see that that beetle collecting requires a certain skill.
    Things seem to be going well in your garden. Your carrot failures. Any idea why? Do they just not come up?

Think about the carrot fly as well.

We went to my old mentor's house to sling the honey. We made him stay in another room. He took it all well.

Great foto's ODIF.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

This morning, I cleaned a patch and planted parsnips. I transplanted courgettes and repotted a few plants. I sifted compost and weeded. I will go back soon and plant some beets and plant out some cauliflower and transplant some tomatoes.

7. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I watered the potatoes, and strawberries. The strawberries have red around the seeds. I thinned my carrots, moved a couple beets, weeded the clover out of the garden, and cut some lettuce and kale. Now I'm back inside. We're supposed to have heavy winds tonight, and thunderstorms, so I didn't put up my trellising for the squash and cucumbers. And last but not least, my blooms on the boysenberries are turning into berries! Yeah!

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, while I was thinning my carrots I heard a thunk on the covering over my back door. I looked over and saw a squirrel sliding down and fell to the ground. He wasn't too stunned, because he got up and ran away. He must have tried to jump from the tree to the covering. I gave him a 9 for effort, but he missed a 10 because the scratching on the metal and the dismount to the ground weren't the best. Unlike cats, squirrels do not always land on their feet.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Willow, cats do not always land on their feet. I have witnessed Buddy roll off the porch and land on his side. It was a short fall and just made him wake up and decide to go back up on the porch.
    So glad your squirrel wasn't hurt. Bruised squirrels can be very cranky!

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Odif, I did not know you can give ash to beans and beetroot. Good to know. Your spread looks impressive.

Sjoerd, I think my carrot problem is nothing more than inadequate watering. It has been really dry here and seeds are very vulnerable to dryness.

11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Just prior to sunset I rushed out and itched in calcium nitrate and epsom salts around the tomatoes and peppers and eggplants Then I sprayed for fungus and insects. Then I cooked corndogs and turned on netflix.

Growingpains likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Amai Cayu! --I see what you mean. Yeah, carrots are simple plants and usually you do not have to fuss with them much. Structural giving of water in the beginning during dry spells is very important. Like most root veggies, you do need to be measured with the watering though, as they can split or rot when very small.

Today we weeded, schoffeled and harvested a few strawbs (there were 10 that the voles had taken a bite or two out of and discarded the rest). It is infuriating. I have found one of their holes now and shall resolve to take steps, as they have ignored my wishes and suggestions.
    After having slung the honey; I returned the slung frames to the bees to let them lick the cells dry of the remaining honey for me, before giving them empty frames back. It is amazing how dry they can get them. I can just store them away until later. Tomorrow I shall return the hives to normal.

I had to put a little bird food out as the parents are now bring the little beggars with them to our garden for food and lessons. They sound so pitiful, sitting on the branch and vibrating as they peep for food. The parents teach them how to remove larvae from the cells and to bathe. I also noticed that the parents urge them to look for and eat their own seeds.

13. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Marlin gardener,
    Yes, I think the only thing bruised was his ego.

Sjoerd,
    I again ad to look up one of your words. Although I thought a cold might be like a mole. But, it's known as a field mouse here.

No work in the garden today. It's raining, again.but at least I don't have to water.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

i watered the cucumbers, checked the squash, and petted the supervising cats. this is the slow time for our vegetable gardens--just tomatoes, pepper plants, and cucumbers and squash. We need to keep an eye on our plants to make sure they are doing well, but we don't expect much of a harvest until fall.

Growingpains likes this.
  15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I found this guy sleeping on a rainbow chard.

38D63CB0-DF88-4F9A-B998-8F6C597236AB.jpeg

I planted beetroot and mulched some of the paths, I harvested carrots, rhubarb and new potatoes. I mulched a row of potatoes with comfrey.

3D64A7EB-F4CD-4A02-9D5C-07F112EE5075.jpeg

2FBA6E20-7259-4A20-9C16-69F3B77A49BC.jpeg