What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Your spread looks beautiful Odif. And you clearly have a much longer growing season than we gardeners in New England. I could start lettuce, spinach, escarole, and maybe fall peas now but that's about it..

I have two long rows of garlic and onions to harvest. Not sure I can do much with those two beds now. Seems like a waste, doesn't it?

In other news, I weedwhacked the home garden and began cutting back my perennial beds. I had a huge cart full of stems, leaves, etc as well as perennials I just yanked out because they were getting too thick. Still have a lot more of that to do.

First tomato has ripened!! As well as several sungold tomatoes. They will be delicious tonight with basil, home grown cukes and olive oil. Can't wait!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Growingpains, Sjoerd and Odif like this.
  2. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Today I watered my potted plants, and the plants waiting to be planted. It was 95 today, and a bit muggy, so no gardening! I power washed the patio Friday. It's amazing you have no idea how dirty your patio is til you clean it!! Also hosed down the outdoor cat house and washed the mat cover that's inside it.
    A few days ago, I caught one of the cats that's been hanging around, and had the shelter pick him up for some TNR. I was actually trying to catch the last 2 kittens Mama gave birth to right before she was caught and fixed. One of the babies has a bad eye, but they're extremely skittish.

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say Cayu--were you disappointed to hear that your garden was doing so well without your care? ;) chuckle.
    Great news that you have the first ripe tom. Gosh, there is nothing like eating your own toms !

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Odif, I really enjoy seeing your garden and seeing how it is going as well. What a thrill it would be to have so much land to till.

Advertisement
  5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Odif, just WOW! So neat ! Some of my gardens are filled with a large grass/straw? from the straw I used for mulch. It has been too humid to stay out long enough to pull all of it out. I watered more garden area this morning. I'm pleased that my most beautiful tomatoes are growing on the plants I rooted from suckers. We're finally getting enough ripe tomatoes to enjoy a lunch of cheese and tomato on toast, zapped in the microwave 30 seconds. OH, yummy.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I watered this morning and then delivered beans to the village store, then I harvested a kilo for a client. After that I rested until 2pm and then I strimmed my garden for about an hour. At 6pm, I went out again. I mulched some stuff and watered loads and attached tomatoes and weeded a maize patch. Then I came home and my

Growingpains likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

its monday... picking picking picking. tomatoes, pepeprs, cucumbers, zucchinis, corn and cherry tomatoes.. lots and lots of everything

8. Cayuga Morning

Sounds like a successful growing season for you Carolyn

9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Odif, just what is strimming?

Carolyn, your garden sure is productive.

10. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@Growingpains strinming is brushcutting. I have this machine. 73767868-579F-42E1-8A3C-7DE4D6271C52.jpeg

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mate, that looks like professional kit ! Mine is one of the simple ones that I tax with heavy strimming from time to time. You could clear a whole lot with that thing of yours. I like the looks of it.
    Carolyn you are keeping as busy as a bee.

We are too here. Harvesting and processing into the wee hours every day. The pruning of the fruit trees had to be halted because of impending rain. Darnnit.

Growingpains likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

I finished harvesting all the potatoes and onions. I just have the rest of the garlic to harvest. The garlic is curing in our garage. Oh the odor!!!

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well done, you!
    Heh, heh, heh---the smell is a small price to pay, or were you implying that the smell was good? I sort of like the smell of garlic and Fritillaria's, but I am weird that way. Chortle.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, air-dried garlic is so much more tasty than the commercial garlic that is dried on a conveyor belt in a slow oven. A bit of aroma in the garage is a small price to pay for the culinary enjoyment to come.
    We dry our onions and garlic in the barn. Those aromas, combined with the hens, is pretty heady!

15. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Cut the lawn, it needed it, but set my Flymo to cut a bit higher than in the past, as I think it's going to be hot over the next few days.