What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@Sjoerd you are right, that is 1000€ of equipment, it is well effective.

Growingpains likes this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Harvested the rest of the garlic, weeded half the asparagus.

Growingpains likes this.
  3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Today was a long hard day. I watered the garden loads then on the way to work I had a car issue so I had to walk back home and get the tools and so I fixed the car with a lot of brute force and ignorance. I turned over a patch of land and harvested beans and beetroot and potatoes and transplanted beetroots watered a bit. Tomorrow up at six and it starts again

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Bummer about the car Odif. I hope your fix did the trick. Farming is a tough profession. Lots of work.

Growingpains likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

IMG_20200729_171644_01.jpg

Garlic & onions cooling their jets in the garage.
    IMG_20200729_171553_01_compress76.jpg
    Garlic & onions taking a breather under the portico. IMG_20200729_185308.jpg
    Fingerling potatoes chilling in a cool damp basement.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Growingpains, Sjoerd, Frank and 5 others like this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

wow ! looking good !

7. spector

spector Seedling

Lazy day today. Other than watering, I repotted an eggplant and that was about it!

8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I haven't been able to do much, but make pickles! I have pickling cucumbers coming out of my ears. My potatoes are dying back, I was wondering do I need to let them die completely or can I harvest when there's still green on them? I'm thinking of cutting the stems on them. Every day when I go out to cut cucumbers, I walk past them and if I don't see a chewed potato on the ground, there's a hole dug. I'm sure it's the pesky squirrels or chipmunks. And I used to think they were cute, what was I thinking, not anymore! :shrug:
    I have two watermelon plants that each have a small watermelon on them. I think one of them will be ready soon! The third plant is growing vines, but no fruit.
    My volunteer squash/pumpkin, I'm almost sure it's a pumpkin, is doing great! The first fruit is getting big and I have 2 more coming on. I think it's a pumpkin, but my son looked at it yesterday and asked if I was sure, because it's such a dark green. He thinks it may be an acorn. If it is an acorn, it's a huge one! Small for a pumpkin huge for an acorn.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Willow, find someone who wants to make pickles and give them lots and lots of cucumbers!
    Young pumpkins are green. They turn orange when ripe and ready to use. It may be small now but will continue to grow. You may have gotten a volunteer pie pumpkin, which are smaller (not Jack O' Lantern size) and meatier.
    Sounds as if your garden is doing exceedingly well!

Growingpains likes this.
  10. spector

spector Seedling

I harvest my potatoes as I need them, and I start when the plants start to look wilted, so you should be able to get in there and grab some in front of the critters. I have ground squirrels and gophers out here, as well as rabbits and deer, so every day is a thumb-wrestle to see who gets there first!

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We plant Kinnebec and Red LaSoda potatoes every year--nothing tastes as good as a freshly dug potato! We, too, have critters. I have found that planting a few garlic cloves among the potatoes (for 10' of row, about four cloves) spaced evenly deters most critters. You might want to try it to keep the ground squirrels, gophers, and chipmunks out of the potato patch.

Growingpains, Cayuga Morning and Odif like this.
  12. spector

spector Seedling

I put in one of those solar-powered gopher radar things (makes a really high-pitched tone every couple of seconds) and it seems to be keeping the burrowing critters at bay. I will always jump at a reason to plant more garlic, however, as I love the stuff. :)

marlingardener and Odif like this.
  13. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Marlin, I did tell one of my neighbors she could come and get as many as she wanted. But I went out Wednesday, Thursday, and today and had full size cucumbers, so because of that, I noticed they have slowed down. Which in the little plant "brain" it thinks I've made my seeds, I'm done. If I pull them up now; I can get some fall crop in, back there. The pumpkin, I'm sure is a pumpkin. It's my son who thinks it's an acorn. I never buy jack-o-lanterns. I like the garlic idea, my brother also told me about solar powered thing. I was going to look into that, but garlic sounds good, as well.

Growingpains and marlingardener like this.
  14. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

It was one of my a golf days today, so if the weather's reasonable, there's three days a week when I only get into the garden after lunch, if at all.
    When it's warm, the first thing I do when I get home is mist spray the acers, it stops the leaves from drying out.

But I did do a bit of tidying up. I'm constantly pruning the three quinces on the side fence to stop them getting too tall and growing too far out into the border. So they end up like a band along the top of the fence. It reduces the shadows they make. Some giant lilies had finished so I pruned them down to a couple of feet so I know where they are.

I pruned the smallest acer, well.. just gave it a bit of a haircut and pruned the wisteria next to it, I'm shaping it so it doesn't grow over the acer.

I did a bit of pruning and tying up of the three azaleas round the tub of the sambucus, I don't want them to spread out, but to grow up to hide the tub.

[​IMG]

Our garden is entering its second green period, well actually it's really just one, from about early July to April.
    It's our choice as it's mostly azaleas and rhodos. We've a few dahlias, some fuschias, some cylamen and there'll be a few more roses to come, but that will be it.
    There's only one flower on that hydrangea this year and it's at the back!

Lots of berries on the Sorbus, hopefully the woodpigeons won't damage any of the branches when they try to get at them,

I tidied up the bamboo forest along the back fence, there's always a few branches that grow taller than the rest.

[​IMG]

I pruned the camelia as it tries to grow sideways and bury the lamp.

I'm trying to get the azalea in front of the lamp to grow upwards rather than outwards, hence the cane with some wire.

[​IMG]

The yellow giant lilies are always the last to bloom.

[​IMG]

I think I've got the better of the bindweed that was growing under the fence from next door and trying to strangle the azaleas.

[​IMG]

15. Cayuga Morning

Beautiful place Doghouse

Growingpains and Doghouse Riley like this.