What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Luis_pr

Luis_pr New Seed

Temperatures were 41C/105F and sunny here so I did absolutely nothing outside... :)

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ach----it was rainy. Intermittent showers.
    Bad as it was, I had to go into the bees. I had to remove the frames that I had let the dames clean for me and stored them away until the spring harvest.
    There was also one colony that needed urgent attention---they were out of food (honey). They are a new hive and have not yet got the swing of things it appears, so I gave them some 3:2 sugar and water solution that I made at home. They wasted no time in taking it in. Poor girls. This bad weather has kept the foragers in the hive and so they just ate but could not replenish their stores.
    The late summer-fall blooms are coming in, so I am hopeful that they will hurry up with their gathering when the weather allows.
    This year I may have to give the hives some invert sugar supplement to be sure that they do not starve during the winter.
    I harvested some courgettes. The lottie is waterlogged at the moment. It has been fast or famine here this season.

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am so glad those girls have you to watch over them and to know what they need.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. spector

spector Seedling

We finally had a break in the heat, so I planted my saffron crocus bulbs yesterday evening, into the new raised bed that my friend built for me.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks CAYU--I do my best.

Hiya Spector-- great to hear that you are doing Crocus sativa--what a pleasure it is do do them, harvest them and save the stigmata. We cook alot with saffron, but I have stopped growing them. I once posted a thread on my experiences with it on here. Have a look, you may enjoy it since you are doing them: https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/growing-saffron-crocuses.12543/

Very wet and raining continuously today. I went to the lottie to gather veggies and pick up veggies from other gardeners for the Food Bank. I also began feeding my bees for the winter. It is amazing how much those dames eat when its rainy.

When we got home we were wet and cold...it's that time again--cocoa time. zzz9abcde.jpg

My thanks to the nice persons that sent us the lovely mugs.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Not a thing! It's been raining all morning so I haven't ventured out. My dear husband demanded that I stay inside while he took care of the hens this morning. I found out he had an ulterior motive--I was in the kitchen drying off two cats and giving them treats while he was braving the mud and gunk to feed the hens. The hens stayed inside and didn't need more feed, but the cats were demanding their towel, treats, and cuddling.
    When I do get out to the garden (hopefully tomorrow!) we are going to have squash the size of Algonquin war clubs!

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Isn`t it amazing how they can grow over night ?

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was a busy day yesterday-- there was a lot of strimming to do, we took down the bean poles, cleaned the ground and used the bean plants to deck the quadrant with, picked the last of the blueberries and schoffeled the ground under the bushes, I fed the bees and clipped some plants with the hedge-clipper.
    Before back at the beginning of the summer:
    zzz9ab1ab.jpg

Same area yesterday:
    zzz9ab1abc.jpg

The upper left hand corner of the bed was covered with Crocosmia 'Lucifer' plants. The walking plank is there to prevent the wind from blowing the mulch away.

A different quadrant is loaded with green manure and looking very good. The strawbs are looking smart as well.
    zzz9ab1abcd.jpg

A duifie dropped in for a snack. There is a pair of them and they are becoming quite tame.
    zzz9ab.jpg

The bees are having problems with the wasps--they are entering the hives and stealing honey, larvae and killing some of the house bees. I was able to remove and kill some of the wasps, but other measures were necessary.
    zzz9ab1a.jpg

Today at home though and we have a work-list of things to do:
    Process the bietroot
    Process the blueberries
    Make applesauce
    Put the honey in jars
    Put away the laundry and wash another load

Ach ...now to work-- The bietroot we boiled last night and now they are cool and we can skin them and cut them into little blocks.
    zzz9ab1abcde.jpg

Then we did the little bit of blueberry jam:
    zzz9abcdef.jpg

Next up were the apples that needed saucing--what a job!!
    This pic was when we finally took a break:
    zzz9a.jpg

It looks like chaos doesn't it. Here then, the final product:
    zzz9.jpg

The groceries arrived just as we finished the apple-sauce. So then we had to put all that away...then clean up everything. The laundry and honey will have to wait until tomorrow, for it is BLT time. Fire-up the irons, woman!

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ohhh,,, You better watch that last sentence ! Fire her up the wrong way and you could be in trouble !

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Too right, Mart. I am walking the line here. Ha, ha, ha.
    I shall be very careful indeed.
    Meanwhile, those BLT's were scrumptious.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow! I can't believe this jars of apple sauce. I counted nine! Your larder will be overflowing.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. mart

mart Strong Ash

I rarely use apple sauce but apple butter,,, oh yes !

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We harvested all the leeks in-between the showers. I fed the bees and birds. We planned to do more chores, but the raining just got worse, so we hopped on our bikes and rode back home.

Gathered food for the Food Bank.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cayu--This is just the beginning of the apple-sauce. We have more on the trees to come. The larder will be full--that is right. I shall take a piccy when we are through with all the canning. Different apples give different-flavoured apple-sauces. I like the variety.

15. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Just mowed the back lawn, did a bit of clearing up, pruned some roses and did a couple of other small jobs. Two hours work.

Today was the "annual quince harvest."

The usual bumper crop.

.jpg

These went where they usually go...straight into the bin.. They aren't the edible variety, not even the squirrels will eat them.

Last week I made up some soil/compost and grass seed mixture in an old ice cream container to put in a few small bare patches in the lawn. I didn't use it all, so left the rest in the container and put the lid on.

None of the seed I planted has shown any growth, so I thought I'd put some more down today.

I opened the container and found this.

.jpg

Sjoerd, Cayuga Morning and Odif like this.