What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Odif,, do I see shortcake in the future ??

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Stop Mart...stop,stop,stop.
    Oh good grief, just the thought of than now, at this time of the season.
    Yummmmmmmmm!

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well...we didn’t go to the lottie today as it was raining and we are waiting for the groceries—annnnnd time to clean the house again. Where DOES all that dust come from !?

So when we were finishing up the last of the floor pace the front door bell went off. It was the neighbour lady with a sort of hopeless look on her face. She asked if we still took the swept-up leaves away. I said that we did and she told me that she had five full bin liners filled for me. I was shocked because we normally have one bag every week or two; however; there has been a very strong wind all day today.

My bride and she went downstairs into the underground garage and it was full again. The poor woman began gathering the leaves up again and with every load she bagged, two more blew in, and onto the entrance pavement. It was like what we would call a Tantaluskwelling. I don’t know the english for this at this moment...but those of you familiar with Greek mythology may know the story. ..and there are several versions. His misfortune was a punishment that focuses on almost reaching a goal...but just not quiet making it.

The end of this story is that there are ten bags in the back of the car waiting to be taken next dry period. We are going to have some great leaf mould next spring.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, was never much on Greek Mythology but I am guessing that word must mean,,,helluvamess !

marlingardener and carolyn like this.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I translated that and it just says

Machine Translations
    gt-Google Translate; mst-Microsoft Translate

6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Poor Woman! Poor Tantalus! Glad you benefited from all her work.

I finally got the garlic planted... Two weeks late but at least it's in. And i planted a pea cover crop.

Out community garden is closing down for the season. I've begun bringing home some of the tools for winter storage.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We are going to take those leaves to the lottie soon.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I used the leaf blower and cleaned up the yard. we haven't picked up one leaf until today. and that was basically all of the leaves down already. we had a very wet week last week and the ground is saturated here. I can't hardly run the mower in the back yard. I peel off the sod with the tires... ooops. I think I must have used the blower for at least 4 hours. I went through 3 +tanks of gas for it. then I started cleaning up my shed entrance. there is all the "stuff" that I didn't sell or was using as }"props" for my shed. baskets of herbs and a few flowers yet. A few clay pots that are huge and heavy so they don't sell well but they are great for keeping on the deck so it isn't a naked entrance. and I have more to do yet before its dark so I had better scoot on out there.

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Raking raking raking.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

got the yard and the neighbors yard mowed, too. but i think the weedeater is dead.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That’s an awful lot of leaves Carolyn. You must be totally worn out. Do those clay pots on your deck have plants in them?
    Save up some energy for tomorrow.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

I agreed with Sj Carolyn. I am impressed with how much you've done. You definitely deserve a rest!

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yeah a lot of leaves. a lot. all mature trees. minus the one that tipped over in the Spring during a howling storm. that one just damaged the gutter on the roof as it fell. the stump is a 6' tall soil/roots circle and a crater filled with water all the time. If I can find a photo of it I will post it but that was back when I was sick and could hardly walk the hill a few times to help pick up even the limbs that were scattered all over. I doubt if I took photos then. not enough energy to do much beyond basic functioning. so glad I feel better. all day I worked today and my lungs never felt like they were on fire now that I think about it. wow.

no photos. I had to change phones this Summer and until I get the charger port fixed on my other phone I can't determine if I have any photos.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds dramatic, thst tree root crater. Wow—are you going to buy some giant goldfish? Heh, heh.

carolyn likes this.
  15. Cayuga Morning

Carolyn have you had a post covid test? What is it, called, an antibody test? I don't know how accurate they are but i can't help but hope you have some great antibodies to this virus now. Especially with another surge about to happen.