What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Don’t make it your last day, Cayu—there is stuff to see and perhaps do in the winter. If you ever get a four walled shed you can go there with a small space heater in the winter, drink coffee or tea and watch wildlife after checking the traps.
    I hope that you have success combating those voles.

Jewell, carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

I like breakfast burritos as long as I make them !
    I guess voles are about the same as our moles and gophers ? Ours just dig a few tunnels but never bother anything ! Dogs take care of most of them !

Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Mart, homemade breakfast burritos are probably FABULOUS! store bought freezer items are so disgusting I can't believe they can sell them.

the voles are way different than moles in their diets. voles are herbivores and will eat anything in your garden, rootcrops especially, but the damage from the tunneling will kill the crop no matter what it is.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What Jane said.

Advertisement
  5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Mowed the back lawn, this morning it needed doing, filled the green bin with cuttings and all the leaves I collected. The bin men come for the green bin every other Wednesday afternoon, so it was essential I got it done as it'll be full of more leaves by the time they come again.

Jewell likes this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Almost done pulling up the plastic and moving the last of the tomato cages. I have one sheet I forgot to get at the far end of the garden. then fold up the ground cover between the pea fencing, remove the pea fencing and spread a little more cover crop seed there. I want to get a few loads of manure on there too. hopefully that can happen but kevin is putting in a street so I don't know if I have anyone to bring me home a load or three of manure from a farm down the road. for a few weeks. hopefully we stay fairly dry until he can get to it. then on to the high tunnel.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The work just continues there doesn’t it. What a gardener you are.

8. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

It was windy last night, so it looks as if I'd done nothing yesterday as the leaves are back. I'll clear some more tomorrow.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Riley, I know what you mean. We are going to have oodles more leaves to suck/rake up here as well. Lotsa work, but for me there is a payoff—leaf mould next year.
    Still, it is disheartening when one’s clean up seems for nothing.

Jewell and Doghouse Riley like this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yesterday I finished moving all the tomato cages to the far edge of the garden. spread a little more cover crop seed and picked up all the plastic ground cover and put it in the dumpster. today I was a bit of a slacker. I whittled away at the tomatoes in the high tunnel. picked all the cherry tomatoes I could that were still hiding. tonight it is supposed to get to 24f. that will prob mean everything in there will be finished off. still a few peppers growing and a bit of lettuce.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I do enjoy hearing about your work. Whatever it is it is always of interest to me.

carolyn likes this.
  12. Carina Bitting

Carina Bitting New Seed

Hello, everyone, I am currently working on a webpage for strawberries. It is a webpage for a school project. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement. Take a look at what I've come up with so far...

http://carina.bitting.info/healthyfood/strawberries/

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Finally got that screen placed. Took more leaves to be made into leaf mould. No rain today.

Jewell likes this.
  14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

cleaning out the high tunnel today. cutting all the tomatoes out stacking them in the wagon and mulching the asparagus with the stems. I needed someplace to dispose of the tomato debris and that looks as good a place as any. I cut all the foliage off the asparagus a few weeks ago and then mowed it down all the way. now a new layer of compost and mulch for next year should be helpful.

Jewell and marlingardener like this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, our asparagus fronds are still green, so we haven't cut them down yet. When we do I'll cover the remaining stumps with compost. We mow down the spent asparagus also.
    Asparagus can be a lot of work, but it is so definitely worth the trouble!

Jewell and carolyn like this.