What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Some of the pot marigolds, I use toilet roll tubes and cut them in half done 90 altogether
    20210324_125616.jpg

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Not nearly as energetic as Logan--90 starts? Wow!
    I planted the last of the yellow onions and put in another row of sugar peas. Three of our raised beds are full, and I need to rake off and till the area where the tomatoes and bell peppers will go.

Logan and DianneWoollie like this.
  3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

It took three days in the end to complete the re-pointing of the patios and paths. Didn't start too well as I'd run out of sand, plasticiser and yellow cement dye. Had to go to a builders merchants in Stockport for the latter as the local Travis Perkins didn't stock it. Just some clearing up to do tomorrow. I've two large buckets of bits of old mortar to take down the tip plus one of the old troughs. I might keep the other one after the new ones arrive, but don't know yet where it will go. I'll probably prune the roses tomorrow and sort out the Mayleen clematis over the front door, a few ends of the hanging branches have died off, I had to wait until now for the new growth to appear, to see where I need to prune them back.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Logan and DianneWoollie like this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@Logan Great idea for using the toilet rolls, I think I will do the same

DianneWoollie and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Rainy day today in NY so I will just look at the garden from inside. LOL

Logan likes this.
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Odif yes it's a great idea and i asked my friend if she could save her's because i wouldn't have enough.
    Put them in a tray without any holes in but be careful not to over water.

Odif and DianneWoollie like this.
  7. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Because we are with have the normal rural fosse septique our toilet rolls are too easy to breakdown so not sure they would work, but can try a few.... Use to use them successful in the UK though..

Doghouse Riley and Logan like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Have a go it might work.

DianneWoollie likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I save the cardboard centers from paper towel rolls, cut them to the right size, and use them as cutworm collars. No, I'm not putting decorative collars on cutworms! The collars, which encircle the stem of broccoli, cauliflower, any plant that needs protection, serve as a barrier to cutworms.
    I have lots of six or nine cell plastic starter containers, but I love the idea of the toilet roll starters. If I ever run out of the plastic ones, I'll start saving up toilet paper centers. Of course, I'm not going to be starting 90 marigolds . . . .

Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Last year I used them to sow the wallflowers in, I did 500 but not all at once.

11. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Need a challenge right now, but not sure the toilet rolls are going to be the answer..When in this frame of mind I usually go digging or listen to music...It is a tad dark outside so music it is...

Logan likes this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Just replaced 2 lavender plants and planted 2 lupin plants.

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have used toilet rolls, paper towel rolls and strips of newspaper rolled into a cylinder for the same purpose. They composted a bit quicker than my toilet rolls, I found. All of these techniques seem to work well for me and you are having great successes you guys.

14. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Got more done today in about four hours. Had lunch and now watching the cricket on TV.

Went to the tip with the buckets full of old rubble from the patio. Decided to dump both old troughs. The second one didn't put up much resistance.

Tidied the garage and shed.

Gave the patios and paths a sweep, then hosed them down.

We like the "rustic look." When I laid alll this, it would have been much cheaper (and easier) to have flags. The stones are quite thick, between four and six inches, so on their concrete raft they are very solid. The new mortar will darken down over the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I re-potted the six hebes that will go into their new trough home when they arrive. Four were root bound, I trimmed up the roots then gave all six a part fill with fresh compost and a feed.

Pruned the dead wood from the Mayleen over the front door.

All our large ceramic pots are on plastic pot movers, that's about a couple of dozen of them. it's easier to move them about and rotate them 180 degrees very couple of weeks, so the other side gets more sun.

In each mover I drilled a hole in the centre. This allows any excess water to drain out of the bottom in the cold months. But for the summer I put a dab of silicone over the hole. Our patio gets very warm, so when I water these plants on really hot days, I also put some in the mover to make sure they don't go short.

These are getting really expensive now.

When we had the koi pool filled in and paved over in 2019, I'd bought six David Austin bare root roses and six new glazed ceramic pots, so no change out of more than £200. The pot movers in Wyvale had gone up to about eight quid. So I bought six from China on eBay. They are quite substantial and have four big castors, the other ones we are using only have three. They worked out at less than £4 each. Trouble was, they were white. So I bought an aerosol of green paint and sprayed them. I was a bit mean only buying one can, so after a couple of years they'd become a bit chipped. So I bought some more paint today and re-sprayed them. I used two and a half aerosols this time, so the paint should be a bit more durable.

[​IMG]

I'll run the Flymo over the lawn later as it looks like rain tomorrow.
    I'll put all the pots back on the patio tomorrow, then in the next dry spell, I'll tidy up the "rose patio," clear any moss from between the flags and brush in some fresh sand.

Logan, Cayuga Morning, Frank and 2 others like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Your work looks very professional and, well, posh. That is a great talent you have. For my eye it looks even better when moist. Chapeau!

We straightened out the unsightly storage area and cleaned out bird houses and shifted one to a less exposed location. The bird house in the pic below is foe a blue tit and is made out of a wooden shoe sawed through. I painted it with paint for bee hives and covered the roof with bituminous roofing. Now then...let the little birdies come.
    82830F2A-FA69-4F07-8577-381ECEA4C0E0.jpeg

The neighbour lady and her man have gotten their courgette and “pumpkin” rack made. It is looking pretty good.
    FE56B457-4784-4E30-9E5A-F1AB97CF93DF.jpeg

I just can’t get enough if these lovely daffs. I have the garden planted upin such a way that there is a succession of colour throughout the season.
    FD727385-6094-4FDB-A701-A526090B7AF7.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021