What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Did some more weeding and dug up a gooseberry bush and a blackberry that had large thorns on it. So i got rid only like the ones that are thornless.

DianneWoollie likes this.
  2. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Little late but planted spinach Sunday

DianneWoollie and Logan like this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I worked in the greenhouse again. imagine that! and then..... we had a "community garden night". Last year I signed up to be a mentor for a newly formed garden that the library was starting. well all of us who signed up were volunteered to become the community garden committee. last night was our second community event this year. the first one Kevin and I did a video for a google chat group at the library. that is now on youtube for our community and last night was at the garden and we talked about starting seeds, tools, planting, organic pest controls, strawbale gardening, protecting your plants from cold and herbivores... we had a really nice evening. it was WINDY all day and just as we got ready to go the wind died down.

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Pricked out the tomato and sage seedlings
    and potted on some tree saplings that I'm growing for the small wood not far away.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn that sounds really great! This community Garden is off to a great start! Keep us updated.

DianneWoollie, Logan and carolyn like this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

this was the first one. the second one I have no idea if they will broadcast it. I suppose it depends on how it sounds with the wind and movement all over the garden.

7. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

@Logan when we first moved here, the garden was like a farmland still the grass had been cut when it was so long and still laid where it fell..so much for the previous owner telling us he would keep the place tidy...the brambles were all over, I had to purchase protective arm gloves as it was going to be mainly me that would attempt to eradicate them...I did work hours and hours each day for weeks and everyday we went to the dechettrie every single day that occurred, for months..Today it is a garden that we enjoy but the minute I see a little bramble shoot ...I am on to it....a stitch in time...;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Logan and Doghouse Riley like this.
  8. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Purchased 3 potted strawberry plants at local nursery at $4.99 a pop hope they will do well.

9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@DianneWoollie yes brambles can be a pain I get them here and if they're not pulled out they can spread quite easily. Also the stinging nettles they spread with the roots also the dock leaf plants, if left to go to seed get them all over.

10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Yesterday was given a lot of wood ash so I put that around the fruit bushes and trees, then howed it in. They would have thrown it away if i hadn't asked them about it.

11. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Nothing today as it was golf and a bit of shopping.

Just checked on our azalea "hedge" around our tiny front garden.
    The lawn is recovering from the winter, even the bit under the azaleas that attracts some moss. There quite a few plants in there, two different azaleas out of the picture to the right, two rhododendrons and two viburnums.

[​IMG]

Some years the blooms are better than others.
    This year looks like it's going to be a good year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Frank and DianneWoollie like this.
  12. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

If you cut off the stinging nettles and place in a bucket of water after a few weeks it can be used as a feed..diluted with guessing I cup stinging juice 5 Litres of water..it does stink though ..becaue it has fermented, so not used near your house much..can use any weeds but I am not that brave...worry if the seeds could actually seed again....

Logan likes this.
  13. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Bought some Geranium Zonal Rouge 12 for 10 Euro in the nearest Supermarket Super U no less..
    Link that shows you can pay a lot lot more for plants in garden centres....We do often buy from the GC's and enjoy just walking around just viewing them sometimes under normal circumstances....We are in Lockdown again we already had restricted ourselves to Food Shopping and Medicals only...We can shop for food online that is our option open to us now...We all need to keep safe as we can..it keeps rearing its ugly head sadly again.
    Garden Photos a few minutes ago....Trees now just starting to flower.Cherry and a cherry cutting that is going in the ground soon.Lilac trees just bursting..no photo though...Marsh Marigolds are in the ponds bring some new colour with them...My seeds looking good, mostly with the Geraniums(Pelargoniums) I purchased along with some food shopping this morning. I also rushed back from the till to get some potting soil..50 litres size and tore back to the till,,puffed,,worth it though...Then a photo of an old White Rose that just flowers it seems forever, we dead head it and then get the new buds again in no time at all....Two more Planters with mostly new shrubs in them..The fir tree is to go...it is quite dead inside now...
    The Planters are in my view when in our everyday room....and above them is a Healthy Fig Tree, to the right is Black Bamboo and a Viburnham Shrub with White Flowers... at the back is a Himalayan Honeysuckle Shrub and a Mahonia Shrub with Yellow Flowers in full bloom now..Choisya was there also but went to sudden crisp death over night with no chance of recovery I read.., It had no vine weevill grubs when I dug it out. just one of those occurrences....having said all that,:headscratch: the planter photo does not really show much of them..:).

Cerry tree.JPG

cherry tree cutting.JPG

marsh marigolds.JPG

seeds 1.JPG

old rose.JPG

planters2.JPG

14. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Did a bit more today.
    In a couple of really shady places the lawn was a bit beyond recoverable. The canopy of this acer palmatum, shuts out a lot of light in the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I bought a couple of rolls of turf and replaced it. It's a bit yellowy, but it will green up and there's no rye grass in it.
    The darker green area is where it's had some iron sulphate, to kill of small bits of moss and where I've been kneeling on it.
    There's a new place opened up locally that makes fence panels and sells turf, the two rolls were only £6.

[​IMG]

I just need some warmer weather and some sun for the lawn to recover and I'll try to stay off it. Although it will need scarifying in a month or so when it's dry.

I also bought a couple of Caladonia hebes.

We had a garden nursery voucher, that my wife received from a friend for her birthday in September!
    So I used it to buy a couple of peace lilies for the hanging baskets in the hall, they're about the best for there, as there's not a lot of light.

[​IMG]

Logan, Odif, Cayuga Morning and 2 others like this.
  15. kate

kate In Flower

Most plants in pots. My Camelia is out, many flowers this season.

C912CC04-DE42-4175-A578-38BFF282446A.jpeg

K