What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Just a quick comment..re..the Wisteria, I was hoping my pod that I acquired about 3 years ago is a Wisteria, but mine has leaves on it and no buds at yet..well at least it has turned in to a Climbing Shrub, that looks interesting:smt022:shrug:
    the leaves are fern like... query shrub.JPG

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I've given myself a bit of a day off today.
    Just had a tour round, checking on progress.
    It's going to be another bumper year for blooms on all our wisterias.

[​IMG]

There's a few hundred on this one.

[​IMG]

and this.

[​IMG]

I remembered to put this square of weldmesh over this peony we've had for decades. I let it grow through the mesh then drag it up and support it on canes, so it doesn't flop and you can't see the mesh for foliage. It's fighting its way through the bluebells.

[​IMG]

I'm please with the progress of our euonymus on the side fence. It's over thirty years old..
    Until two years ago it was "split" by this huge conifer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we closed the koi pool we had it taken down.

I wired branches of the euonymus encouraging them to grow to completely close the five foot gap left by the conifer.

We're nearly there.

[​IMG]

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Amazing, all the buds on your wisteria Doghouse Riley!
    I spent a good part of yesterday moving soil with a wheelbarrow and my back is a little sore today. Thank goodness its a rainy day!
    The veggie garden is almost ready for planting now, and I'm working on topdressing the flower beds. I sowed the peas yesterday.
    So happy to be out in the gardens again!

4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@DianneWoollie I too sell firewood in steres. The guys in the village here say when the Lilac is in flower you can plant potatoes. I planted potatoes and I weeded and mulched some strawberries. It is finally raining today. Spring is fully underway now and everything will grow. I planted some peas today and this morning I gave the garden a good watering.

12D3F715-182F-40EB-B493-D5DC0CBF1D2A.jpeg
    My first strawberry.

4D7B4DC9-B396-46BD-AE06-2296C84B6C97.jpeg
    Irises are like weeds here.

592BD209-1862-4B91-A985-B9A551CDD399.jpeg
    My first cabbage of the spring.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Your wisteria is looking very good, Riley. I was hoping that you would post update piccies of your’s.

Great pics, Odif. They encourage me.

DW, if you planted a wisteria from seed you are going to have a long wait for that first bunch of flowers, I fear. Don’t give up though.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Broccoli seedlings planted outside. Strawberries planted. Transplanted various herb to their pots. Veggie beds 60% done. Started melons and zucchini inside doing cukes in a few days

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The tomato trellis went up this morning, so tomorrow I'll be transplanting tomatoes. I still need to manure two raised beds, but that is for tomorrow also.

Cayuga Morning and DianneWoollie like this.
  8. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Lovely Photos @Odif we have planted our potatoes 2 weeks ago now. Charlottes we mainly grow and as we had some over we gave them to our new neighbours Antoine and family that have become such good neighbours...Iris's I do have to dig out and dispose of many. as most people have this problem as they spread and spread not worth offering to anybody..
    That strawberry is one whooper for sure...mind are new plants so they will take a season to get going..
    The facts are any soft fruits are better grown by yourself, as the fertilisers used commercially will be absorbed much more easily into any tender of soft fruits/veggies...

9. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

no I just like to try..same with the apple pips..one dead and three still looking good...have a good looking tree growing that seeded itself..now 20cms tall, likely a Hawhorn Tree.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I think it is fun to plant seeds and see what happens too. I have grown figs from Granada and pomegranate from inside the Alhambra. It is great fun, isn’t it.

DianneWoollie likes this.
  11. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

@Logan forget to tell you... My Husband has now made a Hedgehog House like you suggsted, really good and will take a photo soon.

Doghouse Riley and Logan like this.
  12. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Trying hard to save an Olive Tree that has kicked off the past two years..loosing leaves after going yellow then it flowers and even small olives appeared in abundance last season, but then the cycle keeps going and have many many leaves missing currently...There is on going in various of the main Olive growing countries a Bacteria/Virus killing them off by the thousands..Not heard much of late but sure know it is still on going...the link is a year old now...
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52234561

Sjoerd, Logan and Doghouse Riley like this.
  13. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

I spent time indoors odd jobs and time on a fairly new music forum as music is one of my loves. days were the weather is threatening it is ideal. By lunchtime the Sun was out and so was I.
    General gardening and moving a pile of settled ash that is going around the border against a wire fence..a little in the way of a barricade from the threats of 4 hunting dogs next house to us who jump up at the fences and may even loosen them at the base, they create an atmosphere of sheer fear..noise wise... not about to attack us with the height of the extra wire in place and secure....they are indoors 99% of the time...
    Did do some digging of course, but easy digging just around the outskirts of the new Conifers on the roadside border just to dig out the weeds and freshen up the soil with some or our own compost soil..The have been very slow to establish themselves, not that privacy is really needed here, fewer are venturing out walking as they use to do a lot. Our curfew is now 19.00 -6.00 so no evening strolls and chatter going on...even the Boules set up by the Mairie's is not being used right now. One day things will get back as they were. In the meantime we have to all take as much care as possible and not mix with others....Keep to your ownsome hobbies instead

Logan and Doghouse Riley like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's great news Dianne.:)

DianneWoollie likes this.
  15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@carolyn your videos are great!!!! Thank you for posting them. I think you did a great job & I enjoyed watching them! (I am smiling at you!!). I wish we lived closer and you could come answer questions for our new gardeners in the Community Garden.

@Sjoerd I got a kick it out of your description of your "broadies" planting! Aiicchhtt to be long married couples! You each know the other so well.
    (Our daughter laughs at us & how we work things out.)

@Doghouse Riley I love your new planters. Really attractive.
    @DianneWoollie I am impressed you are growing that wisteria from seed.

@Odif I am envious of your "irises growing like weeds".

I am back home after travels and have been catching up with the Community Garden. First row of peas are up as is the romaine lettuce and the spinach. Garlic that I planted last fall is doing very well.
    I weeded my plot and spread compost over the section where I plan to plant strawberries.