What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@carolyn If they are planted too early and get frost on them, they will bolt. If they are transplanted in too hot times, they will bolt. They grew well up to now in tunnels. It is probably better to plant them in place if you can. According to my seed packets, I can plant them all summer. This is the first year I have tried planting bok choy. I will continue to try planting them every couple of weeks throughout the growing season, and into the winter in polytunnels. I think planting in cells and transplanting in cool weather will minimise transplant shock and reduce bolting. I have ordered 2 types of bok choy seeds, both organic to see which ones are better.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Moving plants around to get more plants outside. Have 95 wallflower seedlings come up so far.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

thanks Odif. I planted in a plug tray so I didn't have to divide the seedlings and they bolted very quickly. maybe they got a bit too hot at one point... I just don't know for certain. the weather for the past two or three weeks has been brutal for May temps for us. frost or close to it for weeks every night. try again.

Cayuga Morning and Logan like this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@carolyn I researched a bit more on bok choy and they don’t like massive temperature differences. They will bolt easily in too warm soils, so mulching to keep the soil cool and or partial shade May help with slowing down their bolting. After the hailstorm the other day, my bok choy and napa cabbage started bolting. Not all but a lot of them however.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Not doing anything in the garden it's still raining.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Rain here too, Loggie, but yesterday we worked!

Mowed the paths, schoffeled the beds and along the paths, planted parsnips, strimmed weeds...and drank tea.

Cayuga Morning and Logan like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's great I wish i could. Where the abouts are you Sjoerd?

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loggie—My where the abouts is the Netherlands. In West-Friesland. :)

Logan likes this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks. I remember now because of the tulip fields, silly me.:)

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I transplanted some sweet potatoes and planted lettuce seeds.

I prepared a bed for my gem squashes. 51AEBA17-CFBA-48BB-9A4B-6B7EA0CC03D9.jpeg
    I dug a spade depth trench and filled it with half broken down compost. Afterwards I put the topsoil mixed with compost back. Finally I woodchipped it. I will plant potatoes around the edges.

The flower beds are starting to look good. 06DF7192-ABCA-4E95-A2F5-D7D984B60CEE.jpeg

My first Damask rose is fully open, about 2 weeks late. 181F066E-C0DE-497A-A206-67AB65702DD7.jpeg

I harvested strawberries and carrots and leeks and radishes.

11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Not much because it will be raining again shortly, but I've got 96 wallflower seedlings coming up in the toilet roll tubes and I will thin them out to 1 seedling a tube. The temp is just right for them to germinate.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great seeing this posting. You have a lot of colour going on as well as fruit and veg. I have to say that I am a bit alarmed at how short our growing season is going to be this year.

No garden visit today, but instead here at home we repaired all the root-trainers, washed clothing and potted some toms on. We also tied up some more of the tom seconds.

The Bride found a place in the window for her new plant—an augurk (a cucumber sort that can be grown outside).

I planted some Asclepias seeds donated by my bee mentor. I gave him a courgette plant.

I have been eyeing the ‘ring of fire’ peppers on the windowsill. It is approaching time to nip the top out.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Logan and Odif like this.
  13. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@Sjoerd I always use mini plastic tunnels to extend my growing season, hence I am harvesting carrots now that I planted in January under cover. When it starts getting hot, I remove the tunnels.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I may well have to consider that...if the rules here will allow it. Thanks for thinking with me. I appreciate that.

Logan likes this.
  15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

You do not have the same sunlight as us so maybe you can’t grow in January, but you can extend your growing season a bit anyways.

Sjoerd and Logan like this.