What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We potted-up most of the honey today and labelled the pots.

Daniel W, Droopy, Logan and 1 other person like this.
  2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Not much today.

I got the ladders out and got up on the two pergolas to remove the multitude of unwanted new branches on the wisterias.

The abundance of blooms like these.

[​IMG]

Is always followed by intensive growth of the leaves and new branches. We welcome the density as it gives the lounge some shade.

On very warm sunny days, walking back from the bottom of the garden, I notice how much cooler it feels as I pass under the pergola next to the garage.

[​IMG]

Frank, Daniel W, Droopy and 2 others like this.
  3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

And after that if I were you, Doghouse Riley ...I would get a chair and sit for the rest of the day just admiring your Wisteria...I love it.....

4. Doghouse Riley

I'm in my chair watching Women's PGA Championship Golf.
    Lexi Thompson is leading by 2. You have to admire a woman who started her career by qualifying for the USA Womens' Open at the age of twelve. She has won a lot of majors but nothing for years.
    Her putting has been hit and miss. She must worry about it as a year ago she used the same two ball Odyssey putter as do I. But watching different tournaments in which she's played since then I know she's changed her putter three times.
    Later I'll watch my recording of the PSA World Tour Squash. A game I played for around twenty years.

Edit
    Sadly, Lexi blew it and lost by a shot.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Logan likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thank you Marlingardener

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. Doghouse Riley

I won't be doing much for the next two weeks because I'll either be watching Wimbledon on TV or playing golf.
    But I did by a reel of strong wire today for this Acer Palmatum Taylor. At the moment it's "doing it's own thing."
    I'm going to make a circle of the wire and support it about 2 ft off the top of the pot on four canes. Then attach the branches to the wire loosely to get them to adopt a more balanced shape and some more horizontal, rather than stick up in the air. I'll be able to take the contraption away at the end of the growing season.

[​IMG]

Our hebes are now almost all in full bloom, the white ones a bit slower than the others. The bees love them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Your pics and gardens are just beautiful. I like looking at them..

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

A bit of watering where the rain can't reach them and some deadheading.

Doghouse Riley and Droopy like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Put down plantskyyd for the deer … this stuff really works keeps deer out… ..training a few vines, clipped and trimmed rhodys that the ice storm smooched they were hanging on the air compressor-conditioner. Need the air this week .pulled weeds and blackberries -are takin over..cut down two shrubs that thought they were trees. Last week all before the heatwave arrived. When the heat arrives the blooms pickin up.
    Set up the watering system..B-Hive on computer to water zones early am.
    Lots of new blooms on all the flowering plants…

Today it’s hot here too. We finally joined the heatwave…ugh..

Logan and Droopy like this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today was in the mid 90s.

I got up at 5 and watered, sweet corn, potatoes, flower seedlings. Ran the drip system for the kitchen garden.

Tomorrow, nicer weather is planned.

Melody Mc., Logan, Droopy and 2 others like this.
  11. Doghouse Riley

Not doing much today as it's colder and may rain later, if it doesn't, I'll mow the lawn.

I installed my "acer trainer," just a ring of strong garden wire supported by four canes.
    The branches were in quite a balanced position due to the canes I'd put in six months ago to bend them into a more symetrical location, but they wouldn't control the height.
    I can do everything with the ring. A few small branches are sticking upwards and at the moment, so I'll leave them until they are long enough to attach to the ring or prune them off if they are untrainable. By this time next year the new positions should have set.

That is if the thing doesn't die off in the meantime. Like many, this acer is grafted and a real ugly looking graft at that. Sometimes they fail after the plant has established itself. You can just see it at the base, an ugly one inch length of the host plant sticking up at the side.

[​IMG]

I had to give this sorbus a bit of help. Because of the weight of the berries one of the long lower branches at the front was dipping a bit.

> [​IMG]

So I attached a bit of strong wire between it and the trunk to give it some support. In the past the pesky wood pigeons have broken branches when they've alighted on them in an attempt to get at the berries.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Sjoerd, Logan and Droopy like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

This morning picked some raspberries, loganberries, gooseberries and a few blueberries.In the afternoon i finished off the border and planted the rest of the Snapdragons and pot marigolds.

Melody Mc., Daniel W, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I tied up fig branches. They are willowy, and with heavy new growth and figs some were drooping to the ground. That's OK except then deer eat them.
    [​IMG]

For the fall bearing figs, there is a trick to stimulating formation of new fig buds. When the new growth is four to six leaves, bend the growth tip until it snaps off. I find that new figs start forming within a week or two of doing that.

Before

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

So far it looks like this will be a great fig year here.

The first squash blossom, yay!

[​IMG]

I cleaned out the garden shed. Filled a jumbo sized trash bag. I'm on a mission to de-hoard stuff I will never use. That's making for a neater situation, less stressful too. I did find a couple of yellow jacket traps, which I washed out and charged with fresh bait.

I planted French marigolds that I grow each year from saved seeds.

I finished installing cardboard mulch forvthe peppers.

I watered the youngest fig tree, the pawpaw that has fruit, and an aspen tree I planted last fall.

All in all, a productive and very tiring day.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Another great posting, Daniel.
    Glad you figgured out how to make the tree produce more on that new branch.
    It was good to see how things are proceeding there.

15. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

It's been raining this morning so don't know if i'll be able to do anything in the garden. Well i could do if i don't mind getting wet from all the plants and trees, maybe this afternoon.