What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Hope you are doing alright there Friend. Take good care. I don't see it as being easy for you to not do hard work. You're a busy fella.

Logan likes this.
  2. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Great news LL! Three cheers for your Hubby - one for each hornet nest. Hopefully that keeps you safer.

Logan likes this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This is very interesting to see Sjoerd. I was trying to put mine on too late I believe. I have them ready for next year. Do you find that all of the white is tender for eating?

Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Nothing, well not nothing, but no watering for a change, just harvesting some toms, cukes, courgettes, beans and onions.

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel, yes I do find it tender enough to eat. We eat it fresh and freeze it in to make curries, stir fries and other dishes during the course of the year.

We did several things: planted phacelia and borage in the emptied spud and broad bean patches. Mowed the grass paths. Turned the compost bins. Fed the toms, cues and courgettes. Harvested. Gave all our crops water as well as those of the neighbour man and the neighbour lady. Her strawb plants were lying flat…totally dried out. They required a good soaking and leaf hydration.
    We lifted all the onions and made strings for cooking use.
    9871C2D0-ED05-48E5-AD7C-8AD481A718D7.jpeg

We made a large birthday box for my b.i.l. With thirteen different garden items including honey, applesauce and jams.
    CA6632F3-FE10-410D-9C15-1C97B161E1BA.jpeg

You cannot see the leeks so well in this box foto, so here is a pic of the leeks right after I lifted them. They are not ones that had the tubes on them. I like their looks.
    7DCFBC8D-EF7A-48A9-9B76-7CEAB2EA8E44.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Sjoerd - that is a beautiful birthday box! The leeks are amazing. I did not know you could freeze them. ( Hubby's fave is wrapped in bacon with a nutmeg bechemel sauce....but I think a piece of kindling may taste good that way hahahaha)

Your onions...I've never seen a string.... I've tried braiding and hubby asked me not to anymore, as they would fall off as they dried and land with a bang on the porch ( and he'd be up and ready for anything during the night, only to find an onion). The last few years I've cured them in a covered area until the greens dried up as best as possible and then stored. I tend to lose quite a few this way.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

It was an unexpected trip to town today, planned yesterday. When we returned we harvested raspberries, peas and the FIRST BUSH BEANS ( a little excited about this). I've struggled with beans and cool temps. I was growing pole beans, but they would be frosted most years before a harvest. I took a chance with the early frosts that happen in the lower garden, which is the only garden to get full sun, and planted bush beans in there. So far so good....it would be nice to have a healthy bean harvest.

I could eat fresh veggies for dinner every night, but Hubby leans a little to the dark side of the force :) So I cook them, serve them, eat them and offer a little stink eye across the table when not too many land on his plate. He's a patient guy :) Fresh beans, and peas and carrots on the table tonight. ( :scheming:).

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I so enjoy reading about what you do in your gardens. It's very different from what we do for the time being. All those lovely veggies you're showing is making my mouth water.

Logan, Melody Mc. and Lillium_Lover like this.
  9. Lillium_Lover

Lillium_Lover Seedling

Oh yum! That would great for Potato and Leek soup! Your garden vegies look wonderful!

Cheers Melody!

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  10. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Not a lot, I did mist spray the acers and gave the exterior of 'arry's house a bit of a hose down as it's very hot today.

As it was getting too big, a month ago I pruned this acer "back to the bone" so much so, in places, you could see through it,but it has recovered nicely, as it does each year. I did prune off a few of the "spikes" this morning to make it uniform.

[​IMG]

This has been this Sorbus's best year for berries for quite some time. There's nature for you, last year it hardly had any.

[​IMG]

They are starting to redden up.

> [​IMG]

This clematis has gone a bit berserk, it's invaded the cherry tree, the azaleas to the left and the euonymus to the right.

[​IMG]

11. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you for the kind words about my gardening antics. It is tenderly appreciated.

So THIS happened today. First cabbage picked for my neighbour. I'll deliver it today. She will be thrilled. This is a first for me. I've had some doozies, but not like this giant. Kinda fun. :) Hubby volunteered his muscle for a picture.

DSCN8834.JPG

DSCN8835.JPG

Tomatoes had a good cleaning out today. Sadly some were spoiling with cool temps and lack of air flow. Next year I will definitely go back to trimming along the way. I accidently took some green guys, so I'm eyeing those green tomato recipes some of us talked about a while ago.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Melody, if you wipe off the green tomatoes (do not wash) and lay them inside out of the sun and keep an eye on them, they will ripen. We do this every year at the end of the season, when a frost is predicted, and we usually have ripe, homegrown tomatoes for Christmas dinner.
    That is one monstrous cabbage! Your neighbor must be over the moon to receive a moon-size cabbage!

Pacnorwest, Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  13. Lillium_Lover

Lillium_Lover Seedling

OMG, thats one giant head of cabbage! Very nice.
    Today, I pulled some weeds, and watched all the dragonflies feed when the yard got mowed.
    I did some weed eating in the front lawn/yard and took a nap.
    Its hot and humid. blah

Pacnorwest, Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Traps are the best way to snag gophers. They have urned the garden into a 20 hole golf course over night. They are digging in for winter already. Already caught two. Now waiting to snag another major pest the ground squirrel ….

Logan, Lillium_Lover and Melody Mc. like this.