What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Clearing the over grown corner where the deciduous Azaleas are in the back garden and gave them a good watering.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Boy I hear ya on that chore.every 2-3 years same issue. This year I’m waiting til the heat wave stops. Right now an hardlysee out my windows.
    3 years ago I cut some rhodies down to their skivies and they are blocking my view already . Cut From5’ to 1’. Up to my elbows in trimmings.

Logan likes this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today was a watering and mowing day. I'm trying to get the push mower into all nooks and crannies as the weed wacker is very hard on hubby this year. I'm not the best at wacking, so I push :) Lawn clippings were moved over the empty spaces in the garden to keep weeds away until a tilling in a couple of weeks. I don't know where the time has gone.

Onions were an unplanned crazy success. I'll definitely do onions from seed again. No more onion sets for this girl if life allows me the chance to do seeds. I thought my sets weren't coming, so started some from seed. Then...the sets came. I have about 300 onions.....(sigh....). I will be sharing, and neighbours are on threat of garden banishing if they buy any onions over the next two months. I need to plan my attack for the screens, but hopefully in the next day or so. In the mean time and in between time they are hanging out in the wheelbarrows.

One is a Early Spanish sweet onion called Candy that I grew from seed. The others are a yellow keeping onion called ( something something...yellow onion...something....). I forget. It's a long word hahaha

Onion rings soon! And french onion soup!

DSCN9095.JPG

DSCN9096.JPG

I'm trying this for the little ones. They didn't do well in the part shade upper garden, but will be great for stock. ( Yes that is an ice cream cooler in the background....when it is really hot we fill it full of cold creek water and have a chill out soak).

DSCN9098.JPG

Harvested carrots, pickles, beans and brocolli yesterday.

DSCN9090.JPG

Carrots took forever but will be so worth it in the winter.
    DSCN9092.JPG

4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Sjoerd Thank you for the kind and encouraging words. The red on my cheeks isn't from the toms...( shuffles feet...). Thank you. Enjoy your company!! You will be missed here.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Doghouse Riley @Pacnorwest - your Acers are amazing. Such a beautiful beautiful bush. I'm very jealous. DHR - not sure which I love more...the Wisterias or the Acers. I'm thinking the wisterias are still number one with the acer a close two.

6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

The heat wave has gone from here and now it's more comfortable temp of 16c to 23c. I hope that yours breaks soon. I've read that Rhodies and Azaleas can be cut down but haven't tried it and thanks.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Melody Mc. so amazing all of all those onions, they do keep well.

Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I do have to make a quick comment about your posting up above there, Mel.

Those onions look smashing. My Bride saw the pics and she immediately said, “Oh, look— she did them like we did ours this year”! Haha. Are you guys related?
    We cure them differently each year. When we saw that second piccy of yours of them hanging on a vertical rack, we thought back to the year that we hung ours on the front fence.

Your pickling and carroting work looks really good. I so enjoy your postings with the agricultural accomplishments on display.

9. Lillium_Lover

Lillium_Lover Seedling

@Melody Mc. - That is awesome. Those onions are beautiful!
    Dug up some lilies and moved them to their new permanent bed. They needed more sun than what they were getting.
    Started making some seed packets to give to friends.
    Wintered all the gladiolus that I dug up. I didnt want to keep all of them, so I also made some give away bags.
    Planted 2 of my new plants, and picked a few tomatoes.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Pacnorwest, Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's raining
    :sete_056:

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Nothing today. A pledge to Hubby so that we could go fishing. EXCEPT....I volunteered to dig the worms in the early AM. What better place to find worms than underneath volunteer potatoes hee hee hee. Have a gallon of volunteer spuds, and a container of worms.

Great day today...down the lake, lots of swimming, and a 20 lb Lake Trout. Very relaxing and exciting. All of the worms got to come home back to the garden, so a good day for them too. :)

Logan likes this.
  12. Lillium_Lover

Lillium_Lover Seedling

Cleaned out all the weeds from my Viburnum bed, trying to decide on what else to put there.
    Went shopping and got 3 more plants.
    Continued to make give away bulb bags

Sjoerd, Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Picked some blackberries, deadheading and watered the hanging baskets and pots. Don't need to a lot of watering because we had a good amount of rain yesterday.

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Harvested the first sweet corn today. These were the first seedlings which were a bit rootbound, so as expected the cobs are small. It will still be delicious though. The second blushing of strawberries is happening which is a treat.
    DSCN9136.JPG

Tomatoes were picked, and will be reduced and canned today.

DSCN9137.JPG

Logan, Lillium_Lover and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel, great harvest. The sweetcorn and toms are really looking good. I sure do miss not growing sweetcorn—rats. But what a lovely surprise to see those strawbs! —Way cool. I reckon that you will have a bit of work tonight.
    If you read this before the corn has been processed or consumed, please split the husks open and let see the kernels on the cobs. Oh the memories…

Today the guests have begun their trip back home with a stop by the Floriade exhibition.
    We processed toms, transplanted houseplantlets and did laundry. A stirfry tonight.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Melody Mc. and Logan like this.